Photo

LEGO Racers Theme Overhaul

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

JimbobJeffers

It would actually be nice if we had as much retro/classic themes as possible, and tried to use liscened (like IJ, HP, and SW) as least as possible, what do you guys think?

I agree too, however looking through the list of LEGO's released themes I wasn't sure which to choose. Which would you like to include?

RobExplorien

More retro, yes! The original Blacktron deserves a spot too, and M-Tron as well preferably.

Brickulator

Brickulator

Rolling round in tangerines

• Platinum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Is this still going? :S
I was thinking it might be better to do a LEGO Island track instead of LIXS, we could do crazy things like retexture the big rolling stones from ATT as pizzas, like in the LI racetrack, drop in a few DFD ghosts...probably some other stuff.

JimbobJeffers

Is this still going? :S
I was thinking it might be better to do a LEGO Island track instead of LIXS, we could do crazy things like retexture the big rolling stones from ATT as pizzas, like in the LI racetrack, drop in a few DFD ghosts...probably some other stuff.

Of course it is, I'm just waiting for people to sign up :) Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough - the idea is that, if someone is interested in participating in this project, they make a post in the submissions topic reserving what they'd like to mod. They can then create the mod in their own time (I don't want to create any unnecessary pressure on finishing it), and submit it when complete. If some people in this topic who've already posted great ideas could get the ball rolling, that would be great.

LEGO Island in general sounds better than IXS, I simply chose the latter without thinking as it was an actual theme. I'll update the themes list now.

Xiron

You know what the problem with most/all community projects on this forum is, unfortunately? People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things. I just hope that one day this laziness gets broken, cause it's terrible.

JimbobJeffers

You know what the problem with most/all community projects on this forum is, unfortunately? People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things. I just hope that one day this laziness gets broken, cause it's terrible.

If there were some way to keep this project in focus on the forum, hopefully more people would eventually sign up :) I understand the laziness issue though.

McJobless

I completely disagree with you. In fact, generalisations like that could be considered a flaming.

It's terrible that you would assume things and yet, you yourself haven't actually contributed anything of value. Ever look up the definition of "irony"?

Some people probably don't have copies and can only offer suggestions. Some people might not know how to do certain things. Some people might be extraordinarily busy.

Don't attack something unless you know the full story, and don't assume laziness is the reason nobody else has contributed. I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."
  • Lair, Xiron and Alcom1 thanked this

JimbobJeffers

I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

In this case I have made large lists of things to be done, but I haven't taken suggestions on who could do them because I not only wanted to avoid pressurising people, but also wanted to make the project open to all modders. However, with regards to the Racers overhaul, would you think it better to invite certain modders to join the project?

McJobless

I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

In this case I have made large lists of things to be done, but I haven't taken suggestions on who could do them because I not only wanted to avoid pressurising people, but also wanted to make the project open to all modders. However, with regards to the Racers overhaul, would you think it better to invite certain modders to join the project?

Seeing as it's the most active modding portion of the community atm, and I believe it's pretty clear who is involved and where their strengths are, I think it certainly couldn't hurt.

Xiron

It's terrible that you would assume things and yet, you yourself haven't actually contributed anything of value. Ever look up the definition of "irony"?

Some people probably don't have copies and can only offer suggestions. Some people might not know how to do certain things. Some people might be extraordinarily busy.

Don't attack something unless you know the full story, and don't assume laziness is the reason nobody else has contributed. I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

I know I haven't contributed anything myself, I myself was included in that statement, even though I didn't say it.

Well if they don't have a copy that is completely fine, though most of the time they usually do. And if they don't know how they can learn to do a few things from the tutorials on this site.

What needs to be done is listed in the first post, and as for when, there is no time limit, currently.

To restate what I said earlier which was "People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things."; People who have the game and are fully capeable of modding and have the time, just like to throw out ideas, but would just much rather do other things on their computer.

McJobless

To restate what I said earlier which was "People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things."; People who have the game and are fully capeable of modding and have the time, just like to throw out ideas, but would just much rather do other things on their computer.

You're missing the point entirely. Nobody has an obligation to the community projects on this site, and for all we know most people may not like the project as a whole, but still want to contribute ideas out of courtesy.

You have no idea what people are doing with their time. How do you know that those "other things" don't take more priority?

And if they don't know how they can learn to do a few things from the tutorials on this site.

Not really. And not everyone plans on spending time learning just for one community mod.

What needs to be done is listed in the first post, and as for when, there is no time limit, currently.

No it's not. Just a lot of text. You need a brief list of specific things (Create HD textures, build 5 new tracks with themes X, Y, Z, A, B etc).

JimbobJeffers

No it's not. Just a lot of text. You need a brief list of specific things (Create HD textures, build 5 new tracks with themes X, Y, Z, A, B etc).

This is the non-personal project (for lack of a better term) I have done, and as such I obviously don't know the best ways to approach it. Thanks for this suggestion, I've added an overview to the post, but I'm not sure if it's good enough/if the topic lacks any other detail.

Aokpisz

Aokpisz

Oak Tree

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Sorry that I looked like I abandoned this, I was really on vacation.

I'm going to see if I can mod before school starts, but don't expect much. The laptop which works with Racers is dead...