LEGO Racers Theme Overhaul

Jimbob

You don't care about LR modding? Ironic cause I don't care about the LRR video game and never even played it fully, let alone modded it.

34458685.jpg

Ontopic, if you could make the cars slightly faster, that'd be appreciated.

Fluffy Cupcake

You don't care about LR modding? Ironic cause I don't care about the LRR video game and never even played it fully, let alone modded it.

Meanwhile I like both! :af:

Okay, I'll stop helping making this off topic now...

Are textures taken from other resources (like other games, or texture sites) allowed? Cause I don't know how many of us here are actually expirienced in making some from scratch.

Meanwhile I like both! :af:Okay, I'll stop helping making this off topic now...Are textures taken from other resources (like other games, or texture sites) allowed? Cause I don't know how many of us here are actually expirienced in making some from scratch.

*Raises hand* Mine are from scratch!

Are textures taken from other resources (like other games, or texture sites) allowed? Cause I don't know how many of us here are actually expirienced in making some from scratch.

While custom-made textures would be great, so long as copyrights aren't an issue then textures from other sites are fine. Such as the classic space textures RobExplorien made.

I'll have another look through the track/theme pairings and see if I can improve it, then (I've said it several times now, I know :/ ) I will make the submissions topic.

I personally feel that this project will succeed, despite previous LRR ones, and will strive to keep motivation and interest high.

Ontopic, if you could make the cars slightly faster, that'd be appreciated.

I'm sure this is doable, it seems it has been experimented with already.

RobExplorien

I'm sure this is doable, it seems it has been experimented with already.

Easily possible, but are we talking about the player's car or the AI paths? The latter is easy to speed up, but keeping a smoothly driven path at the same time is not really an option. You could change the friction to make the player's car 'faster'.

Easily possible, but are we talking about the player's car or the AI paths? The latter is easy to speed up, but keeping a smoothly driven path at the same time is not really an option. You could change the friction to make the player's car 'faster'.

You mentioned before that you're working on a mod to speed up the AI, something like "AcceleRacers" right? Will you release this mod to the forums soon or have you just begun to work on it? I don't know anything about the path changing, so this probably wouldn't be currently feasible, but it would be very convenient if there were a tool that monitored the player's race and converted it to an AI path using the coordinates.

RobExplorien

You mentioned before that you're working on a mod to speed up the AI, something like "AcceleRacers" right? Will you release this mod to the forums soon or have you just begun to work on it? I don't know anything about the path changing, so this probably wouldn't be currently feasible, but it would be very convenient if there were a tool that monitored the player's race and converted it to an AI path using the coordinates.

Been working on it for quite a while now, and have been testing various tracks and AI speed. I'll see if I can get a test track ready this week. From then on, I'll just release speed-edited tracks every now and then (with modded power-up layouts). I do think I know a method of recording a player's path and then converting it into nodes useable for the AI path, but I first want to test this method before I go into detail about it.

Brickulator

Is the track list final? For things like the ghost pirate track, even if we're having Flying Dutchman ships racing around the sky, we don't need to stick to Alien Rally Asteroid, the flying ships should work in any track. I think it would be better to use one of the pirate tracks so we can still have ships in the water and stuff, otherwise it'll look like an asteroid base with flying pirate ships :P

I haven't really thought about the other tracks.

Is the track list final? For things like the ghost pirate track, even if we're having Flying Dutchman ships racing around the sky, we don't need to stick to Alien Rally Asteroid, the flying ships should work in any track. I think it would be better to use one of the pirate tracks so we can still have ships in the water and stuff, otherwise it'll look like an asteroid base with flying pirate ships :P

I haven't really thought about the other tracks.

Track lists aren't final, I can easily change them. I can see that the Ghost Pirates mod would work better in Pirate Skull Pass, but I don't think Vikings (if we were to keep that theme) would work well being replaced in Alien Rally Asteroid. Unless perhaps we moved Ghost Pirates to Pirate Skull Pass, Vikings to Imperial Grand Prix and Island Xtreme Stunts to Alien Rally Asteroid?

Brickulator

I think ghost pirates would work best in either Pirate Skull Pass or Tribal Island Trail. I don't know where else vikings could go though...hmm...maybe Use Tribal Island Trail for vikings instead use Pirate Skull Pass for Ghost Pirates. Indiana Jones could work with any of the Adventurers tracks, I think. Out of the replacement Adventurers themes I'd say Alpha Team would be best for Alien Rally Asteroid.

So basically, my suggestion would be this:

Vikings - Tribal Island Trail

Indiana Jones - Amazon Adventure Alley

Ghost Pirates - Pirate Skull Pass

Alpha Team - Alien Rally Asteroid

Although then our Indiana Jones track would look like KOTCS and we'd probably need some UFOs in there ;)

I think I may contribute some textures, but not sure... I'm mostly good with, you know, 2D tile maps. Not sure how good I'd be with 3D textures, but I may give it a shot.

I think ghost pirates would work best in either Pirate Skull Pass or Tribal Island Trail. I don't know where else vikings could go though...hmm...maybe Use Tribal Island Trail for vikings instead use Pirate Skull Pass for Ghost Pirates. Indiana Jones could work with any of the Adventurers tracks, I think. Out of the replacement Adventurers themes I'd say Alpha Team would be best for Alien Rally Asteroid.

So basically, my suggestion would be this:

Vikings - Tribal Island Trail

Indiana Jones - Amazon Adventure Alley

Ghost Pirates - Pirate Skull Pass

Alpha Team - Alien Rally Asteroid

Although then our Indiana Jones track would look like KOTCS and we'd probably need some UFOs in there ;)

Thank you, I've changed the themes list to match this :) I agree, it works better.

I think I may contribute some textures, but not sure... I'm mostly good with, you know, 2D tile maps. Not sure how good I'd be with 3D textures, but I may give it a shot.

Depending on what you choose, not many textures look particularly 3D. If you'd like to help out that would be great!

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

It would actually be nice if we had as much retro/classic themes as possible, and tried to use liscened (like IJ, HP, and SW) as least as possible, what do you guys think?

It would actually be nice if we had as much retro/classic themes as possible, and tried to use liscened (like IJ, HP, and SW) as least as possible, what do you guys think?

I agree too, however looking through the list of LEGO's released themes I wasn't sure which to choose. Which would you like to include?

Brickulator

Is this still going? :S

I was thinking it might be better to do a LEGO Island track instead of LIXS, we could do crazy things like retexture the big rolling stones from ATT as pizzas, like in the LI racetrack, drop in a few DFD ghosts...probably some other stuff.

Is this still going? :S

I was thinking it might be better to do a LEGO Island track instead of LIXS, we could do crazy things like retexture the big rolling stones from ATT as pizzas, like in the LI racetrack, drop in a few DFD ghosts...probably some other stuff.

Of course it is, I'm just waiting for people to sign up :) Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough - the idea is that, if someone is interested in participating in this project, they make a post in the submissions topic reserving what they'd like to mod. They can then create the mod in their own time (I don't want to create any unnecessary pressure on finishing it), and submit it when complete. If some people in this topic who've already posted great ideas could get the ball rolling, that would be great.

LEGO Island in general sounds better than IXS, I simply chose the latter without thinking as it was an actual theme. I'll update the themes list now.

Fluffy Cupcake

You know what the problem with most/all community projects on this forum is, unfortunately? People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things. I just hope that one day this laziness gets broken, cause it's terrible.

You know what the problem with most/all community projects on this forum is, unfortunately? People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things. I just hope that one day this laziness gets broken, cause it's terrible.

If there were some way to keep this project in focus on the forum, hopefully more people would eventually sign up :) I understand the laziness issue though.

I completely disagree with you. In fact, generalisations like that could be considered a flaming.

It's terrible that you would assume things and yet, you yourself haven't actually contributed anything of value. Ever look up the definition of "irony"?

Some people probably don't have copies and can only offer suggestions. Some people might not know how to do certain things. Some people might be extraordinarily busy.

Don't attack something unless you know the full story, and don't assume laziness is the reason nobody else has contributed. I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

• Like 3

I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

In this case I have made large lists of things to be done, but I haven't taken suggestions on who could do them because I not only wanted to avoid pressurising people, but also wanted to make the project open to all modders. However, with regards to the Racers overhaul, would you think it better to invite certain modders to join the project?

I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

In this case I have made large lists of things to be done, but I haven't taken suggestions on who could do them because I not only wanted to avoid pressurising people, but also wanted to make the project open to all modders. However, with regards to the Racers overhaul, would you think it better to invite certain modders to join the project?

Seeing as it's the most active modding portion of the community atm, and I believe it's pretty clear who is involved and where their strengths are, I think it certainly couldn't hurt.

Fluffy Cupcake

It's terrible that you would assume things and yet, you yourself haven't actually contributed anything of value. Ever look up the definition of "irony"?

Some people probably don't have copies and can only offer suggestions. Some people might not know how to do certain things. Some people might be extraordinarily busy.

Don't attack something unless you know the full story, and don't assume laziness is the reason nobody else has contributed. I'd attribute it more to "lack of direction" via "not giving specific lists on what needs to be done by when and suggestions of who could do it, including tagging their name so they are notified."

I know I haven't contributed anything myself, I myself was included in that statement, even though I didn't say it.

Well if they don't have a copy that is completely fine, though most of the time they usually do. And if they don't know how they can learn to do a few things from the tutorials on this site.

What needs to be done is listed in the first post, and as for when, there is no time limit, currently.

To restate what I said earlier which was "People are great at sitting there giving ideas, but they are too lazy to actually do it and would much rather do other things."; People who have the game and are fully capeable of modding and have the time, just like to throw out ideas, but would just much rather do other things on their computer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.