PSX JAM

Brickulator

Brickulator

Has anyone looked into the PlayStation version much? The JAM seems to be structured pretty much the same way as the PC version, so it should be just as easy to mod, right? I haven't tried yet, but I did try getting the PC game to run using the PSX JAM. It didn't work, so I tired merging the 2 JAMS together, and I got this:

It's pretty messed up, and I don't know where that red cursor came from. Beta version of the PC cursor? Who knows. I don't think there's a lot you can really do with this weird combination version of the game but I'll have a look at modding the PSX version later.

• Like 2

lol username

I've extracted the PS1 JAM before and done some file swapping, but... My goodness. That's just plain borked.

Brickulator

I'm tempted to try doing this the other way later, as in running the PSX game with the PC JAM, or using a JAM merged the opposite way to this one.

Brickulator

Here's another video, this time I kept the PC track folders but replaced everything else. The results were...interesting.

I can't help but wonder about the cursor though. If it is an older version of the PC cursor, I wonder if there is any more removed/replaced PC content hidden in the PSX JAM? The PC version's code is littered with references to PlayStation and memory cards so it wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT.....

Turns out the game is actually slightly playable in this state...I managed about a lap and a half, anyway:

• Like 2

I'm surprised it actually tried to load the game and levels. This is pretty hilarious.

I'm more surprised that the files are in the same formats at all, or at least close enough to be usable. I thought Playstation and other consoles used a lot of weird proprietary formats or something. I guess they didn't care about that in the 90's when everyone wasn't tearing apart games to get the delicious files inside.
  • Like 2

Brickulator

We all wanted a more difficult version of LR for PC? Okay, we now only need the merged JAM file :D

There's a difference between "more difficult" and "so glitchy it's almost unplayable" :P

I did manage a lap around Rocket Racer Run but every time I passed the start line on my second lap it glitched out. Actually, every time my starting position was the right way round it glitched, so I couldn't even start unless it had me facing backwards. And you have to boost at the start or you can't move at all. I assume it's possible to finish a race but I haven't managed it yet :( You'd either have to be very lucky or very careful.

Here's another video anyway. There were a lot of unsuccessful attempts cut out of that :P I would have recorded some more but I got distracted by modding the crap out of the PC JAM.

On the subject of merging the JAMs inside the PSX version, I haven't been able to put everything back together into a usable ISO or bin yet, I don't really know why. It's been a few years since I messed with PSX games like this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I agree. More than likely you can extract it out of the files inside the PS1 disc. (Make sure to copy the disc though and use that copy). No piracy intended here, anyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.