Real word specifications of the LMS Explorer

LMS_Explorer

LMS_Explorer

Hi all Kinda new here and I have a big question to ask. Does anyone have any idea about the LMS' real world dimensions  mass, etc. I would figure it out myself but I have little time with school and I wonder if you guys and gals have thought about this before! 

Drill Master

Welcome to the site LMS_Explorer! I'm Drill Master, so come to me for all of your drilling needs. Hmm, The LMS Explorer would be really huge irl, but I can't really say exactly the dimensions for sure. After all, it does have to be big enough to hold all those rock raiders and their sandwiches. ;)

I have absolutely no idea... One thing is that it is really huge. It is that size because it needs the Energy Crystals to power the ship. Another reason is the amount of vehicles, Rock raiders, and buildings. I cannot think of anything else about it.

lol username

The general dimensions were supplied in one of the books I think, but other than that I don't think LEGO has ever specified it.

Based on the dimensions of the 1:1 model, that I've built, I would assume the following measurements:

Length: 975 studs/ 773,44 cm/ 304,51 in.
Width: 134 studs/ 106,38 cm/ 41,88 in.
Height: 133 studs/ 104,93 cm/ 41,31 in.

If 1 stud equals ~30cm (there was also a discussion about the stud/real life size ratio on page 3 and 4 of my 1:1 LMS Explorer thread),

the dimensions would be the following:

Length: 292,5m/ ~267,46yd

Width: 40,2m/ ~36,76yd

Length: 39,9m/ ~36,48yd

I hope, that my approximation was a bit helpful :).

PS: Here is the link to my thread:

lol username

If 1 stud equals ~30cm

In LEGO Universe, 1 LEGO unit was 0.8 meters. In the player passport (which gave all sorts of statistics about your character - total amount of money collected, total deaths, etc) one of the listings was how far you had traveled, in meters. I did some testing with walking across a tiled surface while watching the number in the passport rise, and it seemed that one LEGO unit was just a bit less than one meter. In the 3D models, a 1x1 brick is 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.96 units/meters (not counting the stud on top, which adds an additional 0.18), so that it works well with the measurements of a real life brick (8mm x 8mm x 9.6mm). The same scale is used in LDraw, LDD, etc... Pretty much every modern virtual LEGO thing, official and fan-made, but they usually don't relate it to a real-life system of measurement like LU did, so they're not helpful in figuring out how big things are in canon.

In the 3D models, a 1x1 brick is 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.96 units/meters

I'm a little confused on this point. 1 unit is not equal to 1 meter, but 0.8 meters, you said? So is the block 0.8 x 0.8 units/0.64 x 0.64 meters, or 1 x 1 units/0.8 x 0.8 meters? Or something else entirely? You sort of lost me.

Anyway I would also like to know what the proportions of "minifig scale" are. Are there any other sources that might support or contradict this measurement?

lol username

I'm a little confused on this point. 1 unit is not equal to 1 meter, but 0.8 meters, you said? So is the block 0.8 x 0.8 units/0.64 x 0.64 meters, or 1 x 1 units/0.8 x 0.8 meters? Or something else entirely? You sort of lost me.

1 meter = 1 3D unit, 1 LEGO unit or "stud" (the official term is "module" actually) = 0.8 3D units = 0.8 meters, as confirmed by moving around in-game and watching the rate at which the number of meters walked went up in comparison to how many LEGO tiles the player had walked over.

1 meter = 1 3D unit, 1 LEGO unit or "stud" (the official term is "module" actually) = 0.8 3D units = 0.8 meters.

Oh, I see. I thought that you were talking about LEGO units/studs/modules when you said "unit."

My mistake.

This seems pretty accurate, I'm gonna go ahead and accept this as canon unless something comes up that contradicts it.

lol username

Anyway I would also like to know what the proportions of "minifig scale" are. Are there any other sources that might support or contradict this measurement?

There really is no official "minifigure scale", LEGO just does whatever happens to work best at the moment:

600-2.jpg

6684-1.jpg

7245-1.jpg

6546-1.jpg

8375-1.jpg

8634-1.jpg

1247-1.jpg

Thanks for all the information, jamesster :).

My approximation was only based on the thought, that the crew is maybe human sized (a bit smaller like human, but probably a bit broader).

One thing you can try is the gauge of rail road tracks. Assuming minifigures are supposed to be average in height, the rails appear to be standard gauge, which varies slightly on region. Here, it is four feet, eight and one half inches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge#Dominant_gauges According to that, it looks like that is the gauge being used in Denmark as well, so we could convert based upon that.

Okay, I will give the track gauge tip a try:

The distance between the two tracks of a lego rail is 5 studs. If the lego rail was really based on the standard gauge (this is only an assumption), 5 studs would equal 1435mm.

Based on this numbers, the ship would have the following dimensions:

Length: 975 studs : 5 studs = 195

195 x 1435mm = 279825mm ~ 279,8m

Width: 134 studs : 5 studs = 26,8

26,8 x 1435mm = 38458mm ~ 38,5m

Height: 133 studs : 5 studs = 26,6

26,6 x 1435mm = 38171mm ~ 38,2m

It's a bit smaller than my estimation, but it's more like guesswork, because jamesster already mentioned, that there isn't an official minifigure scale (for Rock Raiders and other themes etc.).

@jamesster: You mentioned something about the general dimensions of the LMS Explorer in one of the books. Do you know the measures or somebody, who might know the measures?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.