LEGO Island 2 GBC Engine (Download NEWER Engine Test!) (HELP WANTED)

lu9

This is a LEGO Island 2 Engine based on the Game Boy Color Version.
Previously called "O.N.L.I.N.E. G.B.C.", it is a simple engine for fangames based on the GBC version of LEGO Island 2.

Good to create some simple 2D RPG games and whatnot.
It is Fully made in Game Maker Language (please don't bash me for that D:) and every bit of code is explained with comments as well.
CZyNwY3.png
Features (Italic = in progress | Underline = done):
- Full Character Movement (Walk, Skate, Pizza)
- Collisions
- Talkable Characters (Moving or Not)
- Brickster Bots
- Room to Room Transition
- Collectable Items & Trading Cards
- Message Box system with 2 Options of Text
- Sample Boss (Brickster)

The rest is up to your GM knowledge.

Please do not make a "Clone" (just edit levels) out of this Engine.
Modify as much as you can.

Please no Rude comments.

DOWNLOAD ENGINE TEST:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1sr8n49l0897jq/LI2_Engine.zip?dl=1

Controls:

Arrows - Walk

Space - Shoot Pizza

Z - Ride Skateboard (soon)

Backspace - Check Cards

Enter - Pause (soon)

F4 - Fullscreen

F2 - Restart

• Like 2

Can you stick to the GBC's color palette? It would be hideous otherwise.

Yeah, these green and white stuff are placeholders when I place the actual backgrounds.

lol username

The name makes my head hurt, but I'm slightly interested in the basic idea - I did enjoy LI2 GBC the first few times through, until I had it memorized and it became boring. I'd try this myself, but whoops, no downloads yet...

The name makes my head hurt, but I'm slightly interested in the basic idea - I did enjoy LI2 GBC the first few times through, until I had it memorized and it became boring. I'd try this myself, but whoops, no downloads yet...

I replayed that game so many damn times trying to collect all the cards. Got to the point where I could finish it in less than an hour if I tried.

Yeah, the cards increase the replay value of the game. 

I already got all cards UNLESS The ULTRA-Rare Card #19, which me and Pranciblad are trying to uncover.

--

I also wanted to make a better name, but "online" was the only thing I could come up with the letters, you could suggest a new one though.

Brickulator

Yeah, the cards increase the replay value of the game. I already got all cards UNLESS The ULTRA-Rare Card #19, which me and Pranciblad are trying to uncover

Card #19 is Majisto.

Yeah, the cards increase the replay value of the game. I already got all cards UNLESS The ULTRA-Rare Card #19, which me and Pranciblad are trying to uncover

Card #19 is Majisto.

O_O

SCREEN PLS

Brickulator

I've got a screenshot but I can't upload it right now, I'll do it later.

I've never found #19 in my own game on my own GBC and I must have played through the game hundreds of times. But I found it once while using an emulator on my PSP. I believe it was in the place where the Achu card is supposed to be, on Ogel? But only once, I think it was just Achu every single time I tried to get it after that, both on the emulator and in my copy.

I have an idea for a name but I am having trouble finding a word for I, S and A

I.S.L.A.N.D (I____,S____,Lu9's,A____,No,Disk)

Brickulator

Here you go:

majisto.jpg

I've never found any record of this card anywhere, all the guides seem to list it as unknown, so I don't know if it is super-super-rare and I just got lucky, or there's some glitch that prevents it from being in the game normally. As I said, I've never seen it again, even with the same rom. It's all very mysterious.

Anyway, back on topic, I like the idea of a LI2 engine. I always loved that game and I certainly played it a lot more than the PC version - probably because of the absence of any loading times compared to the ridiculous PC loading. I tried to do something similar to this using the GBC pepper sprite in RPG maker but I can't do pixel art so it all looked a bit weird. Maybe I could try again with my own sprites sometime.

lol username

I've got Majisto on my real GBC and I think on an emulator save file or two... I dunno why you guys are having such a hard time getting it. 0.o

Brickulator

Weird..I did wonder if maybe the Majisto card only showed up in the NA version, since that was probably the version I was emulating, and that was why I'd never seen it in my own game. I'm pretty certain that, however rare that card might be, it should have appeared at some point during my countless playthroughs on my GBC. And maybe no one who's written a walkthrough or faq for the game has played the NA version, which is why #19 is always listed as "unknown"?

Actually, #4 is always "unknown" as well, and I've never seen that one in my game or in roms. Does anyone know what it is?

lol username
#4 is The Brickster. I know a card appears by the jail at some point after the Brickster escapes, there's a police officer standing by the cell at the same time I think - is that where the Brickster's card comes from? I've never really checked what card I've gotten there.

Brickulator

Woah, I have never, ever seen or heard any reference to the Brickster card. I'm sure I've been back to the jail after he escapes but I'll have to check later.

Do you know where you got your Majisto cards? I guess they could just be really well hidden somewhere I've never found and it was just a glitch when I found one in the Ogel maze.

lol username

Sorry, I typically don't pay attention to what cards I get where...

As long as we're discussing this, what's the difference between question mark cards and star cards, when looking at empty spaces for ones you haven't found yet? Is it just an indication of how important the character is, or are star cards only found in specific locations while question mark cards are random, or...?

Brickulator

Sorry, I typically don't pay attention to what cards I get where...

Even the super rare cards that apparently no one has ever found before? :P

As long as we're discussing this, what's the difference between question mark cards and star cards, when looking at empty spaces for ones you haven't found yet? Is it just an indication of how important the character is, or are star cards only found in specific locations while question mark cards are random, or...?

I always wondered about that. I'll have a look on an emulator later to see which cards are stars and which are question marks and see what cards they match up to on my game.

Pranciblad

Question mark cards can be found anywhere. Star cards will only appear in 3 places in the game.

#1: Bologna will dig this one up for you. See jamesster's video for how to get it.

#2: In the chest in the forest of castle island. Take the North path in the guantlet of guards.

#3: Hidden under a floating brick in the ogel island maze.

The only problem with star cards is that 90% of the time they're Achu. For cards that take so much more time to get, you'd expect LESS repeats, but no.

• Like 2

Brickulator

I just had a look at the card that appeared by the jail after the cave level and I got Slyboots.

Question mark cards can be found anywhere. Star cards will only appear in 3 places in the game.

#1: Bologna will dig this one up for you. See jamesster's video for how to get it.

#2: In the chest in the forest of castle island. Take the North path in the guantlet of guards.

#3: Hidden under a floating brick in the ogel island maze.

The only problem with star cards is that 90% of the time they're Achu. For cards that take so much more time to get, you'd expect LESS repeats, but no.

I'm pretty sure I get all 3 of those every time I play. Is 90% accurate because it seems to be a lot higher for me? Actually, looking at my own copy of the game it's 100% Achu. Turns out I don't even have Pepper on there. Weird.

I got the Brickster card when I was emulating the game on my Nintendo DS, the only "rare" card I could get there was the brickster.

Then I played on the PC again, and then I never got a brickster there, only Pepper and Achu, but I only got like 2 peppers and Achu as Prancy said, appears MOSTLY all the time. And there are 4 rare cards (Pepper, Brickster, Achu and Majisto) for 3 places but with a chance that 90% of them are Achu : it's so unfair.

I already got Majisto once back in 2007 when I was.... 7. But I never found it even again and I don't took a screenshot neither have the save file of it.

It looks like it goes on a different pattern every time you play like "Achu - Achu - Achu" or "Pepper - Achu - Achu" or "Brickster - Brickster - Brickster" and so on.

Well, congratulations for those who have Majisto, because it is like the rarest star card ever. Still I will try to get it again.

Now can we get back to the matter of the topic which is not to discuss about LI2 cards. For that I would create a new topic to discuss about it. I'll do it ;)

--

I might add the Pizza Chukka today to the engine. 

And Collectable Cards will NOT be followed in an unfair pattern as the GBC does. It will be fairly random.

• 1 year later...

WOW!

what's that?

An update to this very very old topic?

IMPOSSIBLE!

But it is, I decided to get back on developing this crap, so there you go,

You have a small bit of the pizzeria part to walk around now, and 3 sample cards to collect.

And you can now use the Pizza Chukka!

CZyNwY3.png

Download is on the first post!
:D

NEWER TEST!

What's new:

-Fade Ins and Outs

-Chests

-Talking Minifigures! (Needs to be polished yet)

-Original Game Music!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1sr8n49l0897jq/LI2_Engine.zip?dl=1

YOU HAVE TO EXTRACT THE ZIP TO MAKE IT WORK. DON'T TRY TESTING IT FROM THE ZIP FILE.

Also I need some help.

I need to get the level maps from LEGO Island 2 GBC.

If anyone is willing to rip the maps I would appreciate a lot!!!

(one area in the game should be a different image file)

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.