Morbius fanclub

Lair

If you really want them, I would buy them and send them to you. Of course you would have to pay for the shipping and the price of the magazines.

Just saw that it is Austria... I would have to ask him whether he would send it to Germany.....

I would really appreciate it if you could do this! I just recently sold a rare BIONICLE collectible, so I would be able to pay for both the original cost and shipping, and the cost to ship everything from you to me.

I don't entirely understand the eBay page, but I did find it on ebay.de, and I think it says the person will ship to Germany.

Actually, if you are willing, there was another listing I had noticed here. Obviously, as these are both auctions they might require some time commitment, so I understand if you are unable to do a second one.

If you are still interested in helping, perhaps you could send me a PM so that we could work out the details. Thank you very much for the offer!

Okay, I've updated the translations and put them into the larger images PeabodySam discovered:

Rock Raiders/Trains 1

Rock Raiders/Trains 2

Rock Raiders/Trains 3

Rock Raiders/Trains 4

City Center 1

City Center 2

Arctic 1

Arctic 2

I took some random guesses as to the issues the City Center and Arctic comics appear in, so as to accommodate future additions to the folder.

So... we know that trains comes after the Rock Raiders portion, but, does anyone know which theme comes before it? I'd really like to know what the ship that Tim was on was.

EDIT: actually never mind, I'm fairly certain the previous theme was Space Port, and this is the ship in question. But I'd still like to see the space port comic. I'll start looking...

So... we know that trains comes after the Rock Raiders portion, but, does anyone know which theme comes before it? I'd really like to know what the ship that Tim was on was.

EDIT: actually never mind, I'm fairly certain the previous theme was Space Port, and this is the ship in question. But I'd still like to see the space port comic. I'll start looking...

alan has been able to help me to get the magazines from the German eBay listing earlier in the topic, and I believe the issue with the Space Port comic should be among them, as the listing included all of the 1999 issues. If it is in there, I'll plan to have it online sometime soon after I get the magazines in the mail.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the World Club and Klick magazines that alan was sending me, for anyone who was interested in scans: they seem to have been lost in the mail. alan and I are both doing what we can, but at this point it is a good possibility that the magazines are lost permanently, meaning it won't be possible to share them online. Sorry. :/ I would say there's still a good chance that scans will pop up online someday, though, so it's just a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess I'll regret that pretty soon... But since there seems to be quite an interest on this, here you got it:

My collection.

First page of the comic, back in early '97.

I will try to scan and upload everything as soon as I find the time and get my hardware to work properly again.

Oh, and I assume I can provide somewhat appropriate translations to English as well, but that takes a certain time too, so please be patient...

• Like 3

Thanks! It looks like you've got quite a collection there. I'm excited to see more if everything works out for you with scanning them.

Interesting to see that Dr. Cyber and the Flybo/Flying Time Vessel were still in the comic past their year of release.

Ok, it's been a while, but here are the scans of the first issue:

Here is the translation, as best I could do... If you have any ideas to improve on the format of this for future translations let me know :P

===PAGE 15===

=Picture 1=

(Box to the Left)

Late in the evening... During the last months Tim Time Cruiser helped his friend, the ingenious inventor Professor Cyber to develop a something really fantastic...

(Cyber)

It's done! It's finished!

The world's first time machine ever!

=Picture 2 (small circle)=

(Cyber)

Oh, no! What is this...? The warning signal is on...!

=Picture 3 (large, Upper middle)=

(Tim & Cyber)

Oh, no!

=Picture 4=

(Cyber, first speech bubble)

Tim... you gotta make it to the Time Cruiser and push the 'S' button to turn the Titrum-circulation off...

Meanwhile I will disconnect the Turbo-Battery...

(Cyber, second speech bubble)

But beware the electric conductors or else you will get a mega strong electrical shock!

=Picture 5 (small, square)=

(Tim)

No Problem...

=Picture 6 (large lower middle)=

(Tim)

oof!

=Picture 7 (lower right)=

Cursed. It's impossible to sneak on board without touching the conductors.

===PAGE 16===

=Picture 1 (upper left)=

(Cyber)

Ok... Now it's disconnected!

=Picture 2 (upper right)=

(Cyber, first speech bubble)

Oh, no. I said 's'... But turning off the Titrum-circulation can only be done by pushing the 'T' button.

(Cyber, second speech bubble)

'S' is the starting button!!!

=Picture 3 (upper middle left)=

(Tim)

There it is: The 'S' button.

=Picture 5 (upper middle right)=

(Cyber)

Tiiiim...

Nooo! It's too late.

=Picture 6=

(Tim)

Help!...

What is even going on here?!

=Picture 7=

(Tim)

Oh no, I'm travelling into another time!!

===PAGE 17===

=Picture 1=

(Flybo)

OHHH... now we're in the Middle Ages...

=Picture 2 (small upper right)=

(Tim)

Hey dude, look at that amazing castle there!

=Picture 3 (middle left)=

(Tim)

Let's go landing here... Wow! Look at all these great knights, Ali...

(Count Batlord)

Ah... We are getting visitors...

=Picture 4=

(Tim)

Good evening, my name is Tim!

=Picture 5=

(Count Batlord)

Welcome to Night Lord's Castle... [i changed it from 'Count Batlord's Castle' as the literal translation of that would be the exact German set name of 6097]

=Picture 6=

(Tim)

Hmmh... Why are3 you looking so concerned? Is there something wrong...

=Picture 7=

(Count Batlord)

There's a terrible threat upon us! All our arms are ready. We need any help possible.

=Picture 8=

(Count Batlord)

In the battle with the witch Izralda! An evil, crazy witch who commands two black dragons. She will do anything to conquer our kingdom.

(Tim)

Grrr...

===PAGE 18===

=Picture 1=

(Box Text, Batlord)

Just recently, she heard about the mighty Star People! Mystic creatures from out of the heavens...

=Picture 2=

(Tim)

WOW! I think, he's talking about UFO's.

=Picture 3=

(Count Batlord)

With their technology she could rise up to ruler of the world... The only way to contact the Star People is building a Star Tower...

(Second speech bubble, should belong to Tim, but is assigned to Batlord)

My, oh my, quite a difficult task...

(Tim)

But how does this all connect to you?

=Picture 4=

(Count Batlord)

She wants my castle! And she is already on her way here. With her immense spellpower she will turn my castle into that Star Tower!

(Tim [?])

Oh NO!

=Picture 5=

(Tim)

This is terrible... I'll do anything to help you...

(Count Batlord)

There she is already...

Draw your swords, men!

=Picture 6=

(Tim)

WOW, amazing...

(Izralda)

Ha Ha!

=Picture 7=

(Izralda)

Soon, all will kneel before me, the evil empress [ruler might be more word appropriate, but empress seems more legit in context] Izralda...

Ha Ha!

(Box Text)

Things are looking grim! Tim is off against 2 giant dragons and a power-hungry witch... And who or what are those mysterious Star People? The answer to all that lies in your next issue of the LEGO WORLD CLUB MAGAZINE!

EDIT: Sorry for double post, messed it up a little and couldn't find a way to delete the second one...

Edited by jamesster
  • Like 3

EDIT: Sorry for double post, messed it up a little and couldn't find a way to delete the second one...

No problem, they're merged now.

Well, that comic is certainly a bit different. Willa and the Fright Knights as enemies? Strange. Cool to see more Fright Knights/UFO connections though. Thanks for the scans! :D

• Like 1

Thanks for merging, jamesster :) The relation between Willa and the Fright Knights is indeed a bit weird. Some images from '97-'98 EU catalogues imply they are enemies too. One of the box images of set 6031 Fright Force also tends a bit towards that direction.

Something that's also strange is a rather strong inconsistency in the name of the character Willa: The Time Cruisers comic calls her 'Izralda', a later issue of the magazine has a photo-based comic in it, where the name is 'Buta' (oh and she is also considered to be a male (!) wizard). The UK catalogues refer to her as 'Hubble Bubble' and another name is Hylia, taken from a '97 board game card. Actually I never saw the name 'Willa the Witch' appear anywhere else than in LEGO Racers 1, so I'm not sure where that originated from, but strangely, the name 'Hylia' appears in-game, when you change language to Danish.

Thanks for the scans and the translation! I'm betting that Izralda/Willa/Hubble Bubble will rebuild the castle into this configuration to make it a Star Tower. I wonder if Tim ever makes any attempts to return home... poor Professor Cyber probably has no idea what happened to him.

I have taken the other comics that have come up so far and edited English text into them, so I thought I might do that for this one, too. Here's the result (the translation of the first page is actually from Google Translate, I took the time to translate the page before I realized that there was no need):

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Thanks for merging, jamesster :) The relation between Willa and the Fright Knights is indeed a bit weird. Some images from '97-'98 EU catalogues imply they are enemies too. One of the box images of set 6031 Fright Force also tends a bit towards that direction.

Something that's also strange is a rather strong inconsistency in the name of the character Willa: The Time Cruisers comic calls her 'Izralda', a later issue of the magazine has a photo-based comic in it, where the name is 'Buta' (oh and she is also considered to be a male (!) wizard). The UK catalogues refer to her as 'Hubble Bubble' and another name is Hylia, taken from a '97 board game card. Actually I never saw the name 'Willa the Witch' appear anywhere else than in LEGO Racers 1, so I'm not sure where that originated from, but strangely, the name 'Hylia' appears in-game, when you change language to Danish.

The photo comic sounds interesting, though I honestly have no clue how anybody could mistake her for a he.

What board game is that card from? The Time Cruisers game?

And Willa was her US name, for LEGO Mania Magazine and all that. Tazakk has plenty of scans somewhere, though I don't have the link on hand... Tazakk, could you link to them?

I edited my above post while you were posting... to make the result less confusing, I'll move the portion I added in the edit down here and restructure it a little:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of Buta or Hylia before. It's very curious that Hylia is in LEGO Racers - I had assumed that High Voltage Software had only been given the US character names.

I don't think that it would be the Time Cruisers board game that has Hylia in it - or at least not the US version. I have it and there aren't any named characters on the cards - although I may be missing one that the previous owner of the game lost. In any case, I would like to know the game the name came from, too.

Here's the link to Willa's bio in " title="External link">MANIA Magazine. The rest of the Magazines can be reached through the link in my signature. I think that the magazine was the only place the name Willa was used outside of LEGO Racers.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of Buta or Hylia before. It's very curious that Hylia is in LEGO Racers - I had assumed that High Voltage Software had only been given the US character names.

I haven't looked at it very much, but I do know that Slyboots and Mr Hates are used in LEGO Racers for other languages. I think I heard something about the islander being given a name in another language as well.

I have no idea how I missed the big obvious link in your signature. :|

Dark_Turtle, thank you so much for posting these scans and translations! There are so many obscure gems like these that I had no idea existed two years ago. When I did learn about their existance I thought they'd be inaccessible for years. It's heartening to see them being shared relatively quickly. I can't wait for the next installment. :ilaser:

Regarding the complicated relationship between Basil the Batlord and Willa the Witch, I'd say the best description would be "frenemies". ;) In the US Mania Magazine, Willa was even responsible for transforming Basil into the Batlord in the first place, while Hubble Bubble was depicted as being unsure of whether to be a good witch or a bad witch.

If one were to explain their relationship in terms of a satisfactory character arc, I would suggest that Willa (of Izralda?) was once a merry trickster, beholden neither to darkness nor light but openly flirting with both. During one dark moment, she transformed the unsuspecting Knight Basil into the vampiric Batlord. Basil leads her forces, and the two wreak havoc on the kingdom, Willa falling ever closer to darkness as their legions become the Fright Knights.

Basil is eventually redeemed (perhaps after spending time in Baron Harford's dungeon, as seen in "The Castle Mystery"?) and returns to his castle to defend against Willa.  Meanwhile, Willa has turned completely to evil, the lure of the Star People's technology being one temptation too many.

Perhaps we should have seen this coming: Willa's often-ridiculed batcopter indicated that she had an interest in combining magic and technology. And Basil fought the Star People in a 1997 UFO/Fright Knights commercial.  Interesting developments...

As the Flying Time Vessel is described here as the first time machine, this story would seem to take place between the Time Cruisers boardgame, where Dr. Cyber first proves that time travel is possible, and the first Time Cruiser audio drama, where all the time machines are more or less finished. (Tim's accidental trip to the Middle Ages here would seem to circumvent the governmental embargo on time travel preceeding that story.)

TC

• Like 1

@ Tazakk: Thanks for the link and scans, I had hoped for such things :D

@ TalonCard: You're welcome and interesting theory you got there^^ One might wonder if there really was something like a general continuity planned in between the different incarnations of the classic themes at some point...

@ jamesster: The board game I'm refering to is this:

It was included as a sort of an 'extra' to your first issue of the LWC Magazin you would receive as a new subscriber. I'm not sure how long that promotion lasted, but I think it ran up to mid '98. As a 'for free' item it was surprisingly complex. Most of these cards had a little story plot on them or a few infos on a specific character as you can see.

Here's the first page of the photo comic:

I'll continue with scanning the next few days.

Oh, and btw LEGO Racers called the Islander 'Uhu' in Danish (which is not a Danish word at all). But I heard elsewhere, that 'Princess Uhu' is the name of the female Islander... 8S
  • Like 2

Indeed! It and the board game cover look surprisingly epic. 

Poor Tim, he just looks awkward in any non-minifigure incarnation, but in wildly different ways. I remember there was a lot of hate going around for Tim back in the LUGNET days. I'm not sure I understand why; his minifigure was pretty cute. Nice to see a non-minifigure illustration for Cranky/Robbi/WACCO too; I hope he shows up in the comic.

@ Dark_Turtle, this comic in particular seems to be one of the most ambitious attempts to tie all the themes together, which is one of the reasons why I'm surprised it's been so obscure up until now.

TC

Pretty cool that the game was offered as a reward for subscribing. It's an interesting alternative to the free LEGO set offers that there were with Brick Kicks and Brickmaster - probably cheaper, but more interesting than the stationery sets and plastic mazes and et cetera that were included with Adventures!

I think that this Fright Knights comic marks the earliest photography based LEGO comic we're aware of. MANIA Magazine didn't start doing them until 1998. I wonder if they borrowed the idea from here.

Poor Tim, he just looks awkward in any non-minifigure incarnation, but in wildly different ways. I remember there was a lot of hate going around for Tim back in the LUGNET days. I'm not sure I understand why; his minifigure was pretty cute. Nice to see a non-minifigure illustration for Cranky/Robbi/WACCO too; I hope he shows up in the comic.

I always thought that the dislike of Tim was due to his unusual nose as a minifigure - that, perhaps, coupled with the generally cold reception of the theme he came with. After all, nobody seems to complain about Flatfoot Thompson and his nose. I've really only heard echoes of that discussion, though - I wasn't even aware of LUGNET when it was still the LEGO community hub. Maybe the nose thing is a criticism that came up among the vestiges of the actual discussion.

Also, since we're sort of on the subject, here is a list of minifigure names I just found in LEGO Racers under different languages that don't seem to be direct translations of the US names:

Captain Redbeard: Captain Roger (Danish)

Governor Broadside: Governor Flinn (Spanish), Governor of the Imperial Armada(Italian), Captain Portside (Netherlands)

Rob N Hood: Robin of the Trees (Spanish)

Ann Droid: Indradroid (Spanish), Robotina (Netherlands)

Pharaoh’s Mummy: The Mummy(Spanish), Pharaoh Hotep’s Mummy (Danish)

King Kahuka: King Uka Shaka Uka (Spanish), King Kanuka (Danish)

Islander: Primitive (Spanish), Uhu (Danish)

The Royal King: The Lion King (Spanish), The King (Italian, Danish)

Commander Cold: Captain Ice (Spanish, Italian),

Achu: The Chief of the Jungle (Spanish)

Alpha Dragonis: Dragon Alpha (Spanish), Chamon (Danish)

Sam Sinister: Sam the Sinister (Spanish), Slyboots (Danish)

Basil the Bat Lord: Basil the Dark (Spanish), Count Bat (Danish)

Blackjack Hawkins: Blackbeard (Spanish), Jack the Hawk (Italian)

Willa the Witch: Hylia the Witch (Danish)

Nova Hunter: Aramis the Hunter (Spanish)

Gail Storm: Stormy (Spanish)

Gypsy Moth: Insectoid Queen (Spanish), Moth Queen of the Insectoids (Italian), Navigator Sharp (Danish) [several other languages seemed to have variations on "Gypsy Moth the Insectoid Queen"]

Johnny Thunder: Johnny Explorer (Spanish)

Baron von Barron: Baron von Tyssen (Spanish), Mr. Hates (Danish)

Some of the more memorable ones include "Blackbeard" for Blackjack Hawkins the grey-bearded pirate, "The Lion King" for the Royal King/King Richard, and "King Uka Shaka Uka" for King Kahuka.

• Like 1

Navigator Sharp for Gypsy Moth again, eh? Interesting. "Stormy" for Gail Storm? I, uh... ok then.

Also, I tried to change my avatar to this last night, but RRU's cache wouldn't update:

tim.png

The eyes...the eyes....

I quite like the name "Robotina". Interesting that Alpha Draconis is given the name "Chamon"; a New Zealand catalog cover had led me to believe this was a unique name applied to the red UFO alien--er, Star Person. Now I really want to track down that catalog...

TC

• Lair changed the title to Morbius fanclub

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.