• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

Fushigisaur

Fushigisaur

Here one day gone the next

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Don't mean to bump this topic but I found something interesting I wanted to share.

I was just looking at old LEGO catalogs on eBay, and, well, look at the catalogs:

From 1997
$(KGrHqVHJCsE7z-UF,W7BP!GTNh4Yg~~60_57.J

Shows a UFO set in the Fright Knight's world

From 1998
$(KGrHqN,!jUE65-0d316BP!GpIwK7Q~~60_57.J

Shows an Insectoids set coming out of a portal in an Egyptian tomb

Both of these resemble situations from the comic (although in the latter case it was Tim going through a portal in Egypt to the Insectoid world, but close enough)

Might just be coincidence but I thought it was interesting. Perhaps the writer of the comic took inspiration from the catalogs.
  • jamesster, Sadie Meowsalot, Pereki and 3 others thanked this

TalonCard

TalonCard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

That is interesting! The Fright Knights/Castle connection was hyped pretty heavily in the commercials...I wonder if a similar effort was ever planned for Adventurers/Insectoids...

TC

Pereki

Pereki

Tohunga

• Community Assistants
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Since this has sort of evolved into a general discussion of old LEGO media, I'll leave this here.

NB3uaUT.png

Will, Flashfork, Rodger and Rummy(?) would appear to be the crew of the Brick Bounty! I wonder if that means that that's Broadside and de Martinet, too?

• jamesster, ProfessorBrickkeeper and Quistaros Pugnat thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
Holy crap. That was quite an unexpected surprise. Shut up and take my money. :D

le717

We have some more (at least to me) pictures of the new Pirates theme.

http://lego.gizmodo....sets-1643517126

These look pretty cool.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Those pics have been out for a while now, Pereki embedded one of them a couple of posts ago.

• le717 thanked this

Ben24x7

From what I see Set #70412 is the only set revealed so far to include a girl. Unless these are all the sets and, if so, then that would be a problem.

aidenpons

Oh yay. Hooray.

It’s not like we’ve never seen these sets before... I mean, an Imperial Soldiers fort being attacked by some pirates. That’s totally new. And the idea of having an octopus attack a raft is so new! We’ve only seen it in the line directly before this, so it’s a novel idea! And the pirate ship is so nice. We’ve only seen a pirate ship in every single Pirates line that Lego’s ever had, but it’s such a nice change to have one with even less cannons than normal.

Granted, they're not bad sets.... but this is pretty much our previous Pirates theme.

Oh well, at least it'll be a fun round of Spot The Difference. :P

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Oh yay. Hooray.
It’s not like we’ve never seen these sets before... I mean, an Imperial Soldiers fort being attacked by some pirates. That’s totally new. And the idea of having an octopus attack a raft is so new! We’ve only seen it in the line directly before this, so it’s a novel idea! And the pirate ship is so nice. We’ve only seen a pirate ship in every single Pirates line that Lego’s ever had, but it’s such a nice change to have one with even less cannons than normal.

Granted, they're not bad sets.... but this is pretty much our previous Pirates theme.
Oh well, at least it'll be a fun round of Spot The Difference. :P

This is how LEGO works.

This is how LEGO has worked since 1978.

Themes and sets are invented and re-invented as generations pass on. Believe it or not, most people in Toys R Us aren't gonna be pissed off that LEGO's been making minifigure scale fire truck sets for at least 36 years. They're after a fun LEGO fire truck. Or pirate raft. Or imperial fort. Or castle. Or spaceship. Or mech. Or race car. Why on earth would a set designer write off good ideas because they were done 5 or 25 years ago?

Especially here - this line is going out of its way to pay respects to classic pirates and give both older fans and younger fans something to enjoy, and you're whining because they look familiar? Yet when they do new and unique things, we also get people whining that they're "straying away from the classics". I can't even.
  • Quistaros Pugnat thanked this

aidenpons

you're whining because they look familiar?

Not that they look familiar. They look identical.

I can honestly say I see no difference in the structure of the sets. I'm not going generically: like "the Imperials are always blue, the pirates are always red and have a ship." I'm going "the pirates have a ship with three sails with exactly the same design as before, the Imperials have a fort which is attacked by a small rowing boat and is defended with a cannon that is mounted on a small jetty outwards, there is also one treasure chest in the fort. Oh, and the raft has a crows' nest and is being attacked by an octopus."

And I don't want to extend this argument because I'm up against the King Of Knowing Lego Sets and he's going to punch holes in all my arguments above, saying "the design was different" and "there was a cannon mounted on the fort." :P

I'm fine with Lego reusing its ideas. I just don't see why they'd pretty much kick a line straight back up again with sets that look identical. The Fire Truck design has changed: have you looked You will have looked (:P) at the older Lego Police Stations? Sure, they always had a station and there was always a car in it, but things were different. Things like the colour, the organisation of the offices... they're different. They might not be very different, but there's something crucial that makes it different.

inb4 argument gets savaged by Jamie :P

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

They look identical.

exactly the same design

http://brickset.com/...rates/year-2009
http://brickset.com/...rates/year-2015
Okay then. Yeah, totally the exact same everything.

Go take a look at other evergreens like Castle and City and get back to me in the morning.

And I don't want to extend this argument because I'm up against the King Of Knowing Lego Sets

inb4 argument gets savaged by Jamie

8|
  • Quistaros Pugnat thanked this