Sort of Rock Raiders Remake

Bartemis

Haha, you people are so nice!

I'm used to have so less critics, because I'm on another forum game-maker.nl. There are only kids, so they are way more easy to impress with this kind of stuff: http://www.visiks.nl/creaties.html

So the point is that I must only release a playable game instead of a work in progress?

I just began on this game (not on GameMaker). There are already some hard coding skills in this like playing in a massively big level without lag, unit formation, etc. 

I just thought I should leave this forum for a while and make a playable demo.

Also, the point is that everyone is calling this a fangame, which is understandable because it is on this forum, same graphics and topicname says "Remake". But my intention on this game is to make it with the same principles (Mining, gathering etc.), but with a slight different gameplay, more like an adventure game.

Thanks everybody for taking in effort in stimulating me.

EDIT:
Perhaps it's clever to make a todo-list and a vision on this game so you can see my progress! Is that a right thing?

It's a tough love we share. I would love to play the good guy more often, but I believe that sometimes you need to push a person a little hard if you want to get them to excel to the best of their efforts.

Sorry if you took any personally. I do recommend taking it at face value and trying to look at it as constructive criticism, even if I do sometimes go extra harsh just to try get a cheap joke in.

I'm used to have so less critics, because I'm on another forum game-maker.nl. There are only kids, so they are way more easy to impress with this kind of stuff: http://www.visiks.nl/creaties.html

I took a quick look over the site. The one thing they do seem to have is some creative ideas. Mind you, a lot of what I'm seeing has been done before and better, but I like to think at least some of them are genuinely under the belief they are creating a fantastic new game that's never been released...now only if they could work on their implementation skills...

So the point is that I must only release a playable game instead of a work in progress?

I just began on this game (not on GameMaker). There are already some hard coding skills in this like playing in a massively big level without lag, unit formation, etc.

Not exactly; the point is, we want you to show us something we don't expect. Basically, the more you get done, the more impressed we will be.

Of course, coding is difficult, but it might have been a little better if you slowly progressed, occasionally posting screenshots and telling us what you've included, and once most of the gameplay seems to be in a working state and you've got a few units (rock raiders, buildings, vehicles etc) prepared, then maybe have released it and told us to give you feedback on how the project is so far.

A lot of the problem with people starting work is that if they don't show us a lot of progress, we take it as a joke. We really need to see commitment, dedication, and a lot of effort to take something seriously.

I just thought I should leave this forum for a while and make a playable demo.

Also, the point is that everyone is calling this a fangame, which is understandable because it is on this forum, same graphics and topicname says "Remake". But my intention on this game is to make it with the same principles (Mining, gathering etc.), but with a slight different gameplay, more like an adventure game.

Well, do remember, we have short attention spans, so if you don't check in regularly we will probably, unfortunately, forget you. Sorry about that...

I'm going to be honest, I'd still call that a fan game, even if it is with slightly different gameplay. If you changed the graphics and the characters, then I'd be more willing to accept it as a new thing.

Perhaps it's clever to make a todo-list and a vision on this game so you can see my progress! Is that a right thing?

It definitely couldn't hurt. Do be prepared for people to dissect it, but again, we want to help. The games industry is very big, and if you want to have people playing your game, sooner or later you do need to listen to the (potential) fans.

EDIT:

Releasing WIP games is fine, it generates interest. The majority of this forum is mid-teens to adult, so you will have to do a little more to impress then you would with kids.

A to-do list would be good, keeps you organized.

http://fistiks.nl/uncategorized/update-action

I'm proud to present you this update :)

[Download] (2.45 MB)

Controls

• Actions - Left mouse 

Debugging controls

•  Place light at mouse - Right mouse
  • Go to base - Spacebar

Features

• Better priorities (searches for actions nearby)
  • Digging
  • Resources (At the moment 3 types)
  • Place lights
  • Bugfixes

Next update will include:

• Inventory (Shovel,Drill,Flashlight,Weapon)
  • Buildings
  • Controllable player

Cheers ;)

• Like 2

Wow, that is amazing! It has already many features and it is fun to play! Great work! I hope to see the updates soon ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update :)

fc7c4466.png

Features

- Build buildings (No functions yet)

- Cancel actions from queue
- Efficient spawning of light
- More efficient coding (higher FPS)
- 30+ bugfixes

Upcoming
- Pipelines
- Buildings
- Different lights (Spotlight etc.)
- Other stuff I can't think of right now 

P.S.
I would appreciate if you test for bugs, because bugs will become more difficult to solve as the game gets more complex.

• Like 4

The instant I download it my antivirus (Symantec Endpoint Protection) thinks it is a Suspicious.Cloud.2 virus. I don't know why the program thinks it's a virus, but is there any way you can make it think otherwise?

(Yes, I know I can disable the antivirus and whatever, but having to do that every time I want to use the file is a bit annoying)

lol username

It's got a ways to go of course, but this is looking interesting. I was a bit confused by the GUI at first, though, as the buttons don't always match up with their LRR counterparts and didn't do what I expected.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.