Sort of Rock Raiders Remake

Bartemis

Hi guys, just to let you know I'm busy creating a game with aspects of Rock Raiders. The main goal is to make it an online cooperative game in a rts/top down shooter game. While you have 1 character to walk with, you can move other characters like you can do in Rock Raiders.

rr1.jpg

For more info visit:
Fistslogo.png

• Like 1

Multiplayer Rock Raidersss...

O.T.

See ORR.

But good luck, anyway.

Addict's ORR is dead. He moved on to different projects.

I'm using GameMaker Studio. I know it's not the best choice, but for developing for multiple platforms it's great!

I will make a to do list and I will update my blog.

Thanks for responding.  I actually think Pascal was doing something similar in Game Maker.  Might want to exchange notes with him if you'd be interested.

I don't think you should make this in GameMaker. I don't find it great for making games.

In the weeks that you've been here, I have felt nothing but seething contempt for you, leading to my constant overzealous mockery. However, FINALLY, for once you have said something that has managed to capture my opinion exactly, and make me proud that you're not completely inept.

Thank you. Thank. You.

applause.gif

At the OP. Ditch Gamemaker, use a real engine. I also think you should ditch the over-the-top camera. It's your opinion, but I personally think we're no longer in the 90s. Time to move on.

At the OP. Ditch Gamemaker, use a real engine. I also think you should ditch the over-the-top camera. It's your opinion, but I personally think we're no longer in the 90s. Time to move on.

Sorry to disagree. I have used GM for over 10 years and still continue to do so, I can pull off stuff in GM now that most of the GM community has no clue on how to do. GM is more than capable of doing this, I have larger projects than this built in GM. GM is so under-estimated... mostly because of it's name, but a lot of people that say it's crap haven't even bothered to see what it is truly capable of doing. GM is usless when you give it to a kid, but give it to an experienced programmer and it can do wonders. I'd go as far as to say GM has made me a much better programmer. Because GM is a little slower compared to compiled engines (Actually, Studio is compiled, 8.1 is interpreted... which I use) I'm always looking for ways to do things better, make code more efficient and cleaner. This is something a lot of people don't give two thoughts to with compiled simply because they have the extra power.

(GM8.1 fan, If they removed sandboxing in Studio, I'd be more interested.)

Sorry to disagree. I have used GM for over 10 years and still continue to do so, I can pull off stuff in GM now that most of the GM community has no clue on how to do. GM is more than capable of doing this, I have larger projects than this built in GM. GM is so under-estimated... mostly because of it's name, but a lot of people that say it's crap haven't even bothered to see what it is truly capable of doing. GM is usless when you give it to a kid, but give it to an experienced programmer and it can do wonders.

If you can rebuild Journey in GM for me, I'll eat my comment and then use GM for my final major project. And then I'll also take back all my comments regarding Unity. And then I'll donate $200 to the forum. And I'm not joking. I seriously want you to attempt it.

Also at the OP, I think you might need to do a little work on your website. Currently looks just a tad messy. Maybe if you had another blog entry it might look better.

Sorry to disagree. I have used GM for over 10 years and still continue to do so, I can pull off stuff in GM now that most of the GM community has no clue on how to do. GM is more than capable of doing this, I have larger projects than this built in GM. GM is so under-estimated... mostly because of it's name, but a lot of people that say it's crap haven't even bothered to see what it is truly capable of doing. GM is usless when you give it to a kid, but give it to an experienced programmer and it can do wonders.

If you can rebuild Journey in GM for me, I'll eat my comment and then use GM for my final major project. And then I'll also take back all my comments regarding Unity. And then I'll donate $200 to the forum. And I'm not joking. I seriously want you to attempt it.

Also at the OP, I think you might need to do a little work on your website. Currently looks just a tad messy. Maybe if you had another blog entry it might look better.

I thought I had wrote 2D in my post but I guess I didn't. For 3D games, no I wouldn't use it (though there is a Ogre 3D DLL for GM which should be able to pull off something decent)... Actually remember that LRR texture viewer I made?, that is GM + a custom 3D engine.

For 2D, it's capable of great things.

I thought I had wrote 2D in my post but I guess I didn't. For 3D games, no I wouldn't use it (though there is a Ogre 3D DLL for GM which should be able to pull off something decent)... Actually remember that LRR texture viewer I made, that is GM + a custom 3D engine.

I was looking forward to eating my comment :(

I see. Well, we both know that there are only a few 2D games I can stand. Tell me, how well can it do 2D RPGs?

I thought I had wrote 2D in my post but I guess I didn't. For 3D games, no I wouldn't use it (though there is a Ogre 3D DLL for GM which should be able to pull off something decent)... Actually remember that LRR texture viewer I made, that is GM + a custom 3D engine.

I was looking forward to eating my comment :(

I see. Well, we both know that there are only a few 2D games I can stand. Tell me, how well can it do 2D RPGs?

Only a few???? Some of the greatest games are 2D. 2D RPG's? Easy.

All the LucasArts Point-And-Click Adventures, Beneath a Steel Sky, sometimes I can be in the right mood to play Fallout 1, and a couple others.

All the LucasArts Point-And-Click Adventures, Beneath a Steel Sky, sometimes I can be in the right mood to play Fallout 1, and a couple others.

AOE... TA... Command & Conquer... Sim City... Myst

._.

There are so many more.

AOE... TA... Command & Conquer... Sim City... Myst

._.

There are so many more.

Myst I need to play eventually. C&C is okay when it's not as crazy as C&C3. Sim City is fun, but it was lacking a lot until SimCity 4. AOE I haven't heard of before.

PeabodySam

Creating a fan LEGO game?  Okay.  Good luck with that project.  Very few projects actually get off the ground, but I might as well be polite, right?

But while I'm here, I might as well point out that this seems to be in the wrong subforum.  Seeing as this about a fan game in progress that is currently lacking any actual LEGO creations created in a digital program such as LEGO Digital Designer, LEGO CAD, LDraw, etc., I don't think this belongs in the "Digital LEGO Creations" subforum.  Correct me if I'm wrong, though; I guess I'm just rather surprised that there's already 15 replies and nobody else has done anything about this.

• Like 1

*cough*

I don't normally try these games, mainly because I always have a deep-seated fear of what horrors lurk within them.

Before I go on the negative, some positives first. The game loads quick, which is nice. Raiders move fast. Game shuts down quick. Unfortunately, that's all I got.

1. The game breaks if you Alt-Tab, which I frequently need to.
  2. There's no Pause menu, the game just closes.
  3. There's no crystals or ore.
  4. What the flippin' dolphins were you thinking when you decided that you need to right-click to see squares?
  5. What is a "Basis"? Shouldn't it be called "Base", or more correctly, "Tool Station"? Why can the raiders walk on the "Basis"?
  6. Why is the interface so limited?
  7. You can't shovel rubble, so why is it listed as a priority?
  8. Walking speed is the same for ground and rubble.
  9. What is with the numbers that appear in the corner and then suddenly the Rock Raiders run around randomly digging walls? I pressed a button that appeared and they went beserk...

Furthermore, I was able to spam the teleport button about 1000 times. The raiders just walked in a pretty conga line until the game lagged so bad I needed to kill it (Esc button no longer worked).

I know it's meant to be like a basic alpha, but still...you could probably have told us how limited it was instead of just saying "New Release!"

EDIT: For reference, here is an example of how NOT to do a fan game.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ericthecooldude/supra-mayro-kratt

Please try to keep above this man's brilliant attention to detail and crafting ability. He is a fine artist, but even he has his flaws.

Thanks for the feedback, although everything you mentioned I am already planning to program. Walking speed isn't the same for ground as for rubble.

Basis is the Dutch word for Base. 

I think I'm no longer posting on this forum, I haven't even started and I'm getting loads of negative comments. It was just to please you guys, but I'm only releasing updates on my site.

I think I'm no longer posting on this forum, I haven't even started and I'm getting loads of negative comments. It was just to please you guys, but I'm only releasing updates on my site.

You had one post with a few negative comments, and you just addressed them there. I don't see any other negative feedback thus far.

You got negative comments from an angry Australian who is hard to please. At least wait until one other person gives you feedback before you leave. Don't be so hasty...

At least wait until one other person gives you feedback before you leave.

Hello. I'm TheDoctor.

Two words. Production value. Don't release a broken game. Don't release the result of you slapping your hands on the keyboard when Game Maker happens to be open. Release something that has some effort put into it. Don't waste your own time creating something that's not going to amount to little more than a poorly made fan game. The only people who play those are people who like to find awful games, break them, lambaste them, cry a little bit, then post the result to youtube. If you make something worth the time you put into it, and worth the time of those playing it, then you can release it. If not, either improve your game creation skills or perhaps find a different hobby. Perhaps modding LRR is more to your abilities if game creation is not.

If we all sat around saying "great" this game would never reach it's potential. Criticism on your game will give you things to work on and improve. If you don't want to do that you might as well leave the creative industry altogether, you will always receive criticism from the public. Instead of going "oh criticism, I'm leaving" you should be thanking McJobless for not only playing your game... but clearly telling you what needs to be worked on.

Aside from what McJobless said, I can't see any other negative comments on your game.

• Like 3

Bartemis, don't let the naysayers discourage you.  Programming is a journey like anything else and I imagine you're at the beginning of yours.  It's only natural that things will improve with time.  Don't feel pressured to release anything if you don't want to.  Unless you have an intended audience, your only goal is to please yourself.  Take your time and have fun.  GameMaker is just fine if that's what you want to use.  Nothing at all wrong with it.

That said, what Cyrem points out is also true.  If you are injecting something into a public forum, you need to be able to deal with and take criticism, hopefully most of it being constructive.  That's the only way anyone improves; critics may even point out things you never thought about or never saw.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.