Pokemon!

Cloudstrife987

Alcom Isst

I... like all the ones that I have played? I'm not much interested in which of the Pokemon games people prefer. I'd be much more interested in what individuals' favorite Pokemon is; there is a lot more interesting stuff to learn from that inquiry.

Incidentally, mine is Vileplume.

Drill Master

I like Soul Silver, but I'm nostalgic with the GBC Yellow.

I have 3 favorites. Lugia, Articuno, and of course, Mewtwo.

Silver was my favorite. It was the first game I played of the franchise, and I still love it more than G1.

G5 and 6 can just go die in a hole.

I still need to play a Pokemon game...

*gasp*

I don't know which game is my favorite, but my favorite Pokemon is Sableye.

For nostolgia's sake, I like to pretend that only Generation I & II exist.  Like you, Pokemon Red is my favorite.  I've already had a special affinity for Charmander/fire-dragon types (both in Pokemon terms and not). 

• Like 2

Drill Master

For nostolgia's sake, I like to pretend that only Generation I & II exist. 

I too only like Gen I and II. I played Black and want to play X/Y because Mewtwo's new form, but the Pokemon just didn't appeal very well after Gen II.

Olivus Prime

Pokémon Blue was my first ever video game, so that holds a place in my heart. However, Pokémon Gold/Silver were (and still are) amazing Game Boy games. Too bad the save batteries died in my copies of both.

Mewtwo is still awesome today, if only for his epicness in the First Movie.

I was a rabid Pokéfan during G1 and G2, but afterwards I just felt like it was the same thing rehashed over and over, and I haven't touched a Pokémon game since Ruby.

I still play Red version periodically... would you believe I still have yet to beat it? I've gotten further in it than in any other game in the series, though, and oddly enough outclasses all of them in almost every aspect. The PC system is buggy, complicated and frustrating but that is my only complaint.

The gameplay is simple and straightforward (and most importantly fun).

The graphics, while being simple blocky and monochrome have a stylized, clean look to them that that the newer games lack, even though they have more colors and larger sprites (Firered and Leafgreen, the 'enhanced' remakes of Red and Blue, actually look worse).

The music is catchy, though that could just be my fondness for chiptunes. TBH the newer games have some pretty epic music as well, and that (along with the better PC system) is one of the few actual improvements that have been made. But the original music is still some of the best (IMO).

Most of all, the original games had an atmosphere to them that the newer games lack. They were, for lack of a better word, mysterious. Nobody knew quite what to make of them when they first came out. There are rumors and legends surrounding them to this day (The truck, Bill's secret garden, the 'Pokegods,' Mewthree, Blue's dead Rattata, the lavender town music, the 'white hand,' (actually everything about lavender town), etc.). The games are riddled with glitches, which instead of being a frustration actually make the game better. Almost none of them activate inadvertently, they require complex, deliberate actions to be performed. And pulling them off allows you to screw with your game in ways that it was never meant to be screwed. And it. is. epic. These glitches help to fuel the rumors about the game and add to it's mysterious aura because they exposed things that you would never expect to be in the game to start with. I mean, Mew? MissingNo? If there are Pokemon that exist within the game and literally cannot be obtained through normal gameplay, who knows what else could be hiding in the game's code?

(Note that by this point it's generally accepted that we've discovered every secret the game has to offer. The point is that when things that sound ridiculous turn out to be true, it lends a bit of credibility to other ridiculous rumors)

[for those that don't know, MissingNo is not a 'real' Pokemon- rather, it is a placeholder/error handler programmed into the game to prevent it from crashing if a battle is initiated against data that doesn't correspond to any of the real pokemon in the game- Through a series of arbitrary actions it is possible to trigger such a battle, allowing MissingNo to be fought, captured and used in battle]

It's not just rumors and glitches that create this atmosphere. My whole point here is the amount of speculation these games caused simply by being what they are. People have written essays about these games. But it was the game itself that created this speculation, it spurred these rumors. Take Lavender Town, or Cinnabar Island. They are genuinely creepy areas that scare the crap out of kids, and contain subtle clues to a much darker story than is shown on the surface.

Lavender town is a friggen cemetery and is the only time I recall that the series actually dealt with the death of pokemon. The music is very unsettling (and in the original Japanese, was so high-pitched it gave kids headaches, with led to it being subtly altered for the English release, which started a heap of rumors). Then there's the deal with Blue's Rattata, which is all just speculation but it's got a lot of evidence supporting it (if you have no cluewhat I'm talking about you can google it).

Cinnabar Island was the birthplace of Mewtwo and contained subtle hints about his creation. The whole story is told in detail in the first movie, confirming what is only implied in the game itself.

None of the newer games have done anything remotely similar to this.

Red and Blue stand on their own as classics, and are great games overall and not just good Pokemon games.

Bah this was a long and complicated post, no doubt I've made my share of mistakes. I probably forgot half of what I wrote already as i was writing it. I was rambling, I was ranting. :/ :/ :/

I'm sure there will be plenty that disagree, but ah well. It's just my opinion after all.

For the record, my party in Red (currently) consists of:

-Ivysaur

-Dugtrio

-Pidgeotto

-Jolteon

-Goldeen

-MissingNo

• 3 weeks later...

For nostolgia's sake, I like to pretend that only [insert early parts of whatever franchise here] exist.

People like this are some of the worst kinds.

Brickulator

People like this are some of the worst kinds.

Tell that to the Crash Bandicoot fandom :P

As for Pokemon, I love it but I really don't play enough of it. I need to start playing White again. And I can't think of a favourite Pokemon, but strangely I always try to have a Tangela in my party. And hell hath no fury if I accidentally evolve it into Tangrowth, let me tell you.

• 3 weeks later...

Pokemon Red has always been my favorite pokemon game.

What is yours?

I haven't played a Pokemon game in a long while, but the Japanese version of Pokemon Platinum was my favorite. I got kinda far before I had to stop because I was messing things up with my inability to read Japanese. D:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

G5 and 6 can just go die in a hole.
I dont understand why people hate b/w! half of pokemon's fanbase is blinded by nostolgia. gen 5 has 150 pokemon,like gen1. everyone hates game freak for trying new things! i beat white,and i thought it was amazing,with better tiny little things they add in new games(example,there is two bed rooms in your house for your mom in gen 6.). Lets look at pokemon,and their originality. Some pokemon are boring and generic *cough* lilipup *cough*,but there still is good ones like deerling,for its season colered coat(one for all seasons that changes every season).people say you cant catch pokemon from other gens,but they dont know about the giant casum(gc). gc is a place that has pokemon from other generations. So,that is my oppinion on newer gens.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.