The Great Kanohi Project

Prototyke

On first looking at the mask I was kind of daunted by it complexity(relative to the others I have done) but I finished this mask considerably faster than my average time. I think it looks fine, but I am afraid the speed is reflected in the quality or accuracy, so really look at this one and make sure I got it right.

Kaukau Nuva

C6dI535.png

Also,  everyone above, thank you for the kind words.   But really Aidenpons, stop using smilies.

100th reply to TGKP !

I decided to remaster some of my earliest masks to better match the quality of the masks I am making now, so no new mask today.

S2taSaW.pngDgMJm3a.png1mKiFkQ.pngqdZscDm.pngz0t6brO.png

Updating masks is pretty easy and quick, so if you all think that any old masks needs updating, just tell me. I want to get all of these as high quality as possible.

Edit: Original masks are in the Opening Post

Those masks look too bright... The shading hurts my eyes... (a bit).

Looking back at the previous ones  - they didn't have a bright light in the center. That makes them a lot more bearable.

Those masks look too bright... The shading hurts my eyes... (a bit).

Looking back at the previous ones  - they didn't have a bright light in the center. That makes them a lot more bearable.

Any one in particular? I brightened the Hau, Miru, and Pakari because their details weren't distinctive enough for me, but I actually darkened the Kakama and Akaki.

I probably didn't notice this issue while working due to the fact I work on a white background and RRU is dark grey, but I would agree that the Hau's highlights are a bit too bright and the entire Miru should be slightly, but consistently, darkened. Do you have anything else specific to add to those two edits before I change the masks again?

Hau's highlights are a bit too bright and the entire Miru should be slightly, but consistently, darkened.

Yes. Those Hau highlights HURT MY EYES. :P

The Miru does need to be darkened, however the edges on the top are dark enough already.

I can't see the Pakari much. :P After clicking on the link to the image it was fine though.

The Ace Railgun

Those Hau highlights HURT MY EYES.

Your eyes must be color sensitive :P it looks fine to me, they all look excellent. Great work on those masks Proto.

GY0jvtW.pngWWUaiwq.png

Happy now aidenpons?

The Hau was changed very little, but it definitely looks more natural, and the Miru is a lot better.

Today we have here another proper Nuva mask. The Pakari Nuva, the mask of super-duper strength, had many annoyingly small details on its pointy forehead. Please check these to make sure they are accurate. 

V3S5907.png

I am finally getting the hang of the highlights though. This is a black mask and it doesn't look terrible. I guess they're still better than the white masks though.

• Like 2

THAT IS ONE FREAKING AWESOME PAKARI NUVA. *faints*

I don't know why, but that just looks... I'm running out of good synonyms for 'awesome'...

Hmm, how about 'stunning?' Or 'breathtaking?' You get the idea.

Anyways, about those wee little details on the forehead... they look a little exaggerated to me. Meh, it's a long time since I actually saw the mask as a piece, so you can disregard that if you like.

Anyways, about those wee little details on the forehead... they look a little exaggerated to me

They probably are,  but however accurate these might be, they are still art and I sometimes take a bit of inaccurate creative license with them to improve how they look, so if it doesn't detract form the piece, i'll just leave it.

I started on the Akaku Nuva today. I knew it was going to be bad (bad as in difficult, not low quality), but it was even worse than I expected. This mask literally has not one symmetrical part. Even the bottom doesn't line up flat. This uniqueness will make it a beautiful mask when it is done, but it is really crazy hard, and I am still a long way from finishing.

Here is my progress so far. I am pretty sure that the edge outline is correct and the right side is accurate, but the left's proportions might be off. I also have not yet added some of the flairs(pipes, gauges, raised bar things, etc.) Please tear into it so I can get it really accurate.

nyAU9Pc.png

Its amazing how much detail is in these masks, and you don't realize until you look really closely. If you haven't, take a close look at the right side of this mask's forehead. Unlike most masks, it is not even remotely smooth. It has a phenomenal texture (that is going to be ridiculous to shade) that can go completely unnoticed very easily.

The Ace Railgun
The mouth looks squished.

Stop being such a backseat mask-maker :P , it looks fine to me, the Akaku Nuva is one of my favorite masks too, nice work Proto.

Stop being such a backseat mask-maker , it looks fine to me

Actually Ace, that is exactly what I want. All of these extra opinions help me iron out the many mistakes and issues that pop up.

However, to Aidenpons, when critiquing, please be more specific. Squished could be vertical, horizontal, diagonal, or outwards (illusion of a Z axis through shading). I do want your help, but I don't really know what you mean, so can you give me a more detailed description?

Thanks for the waffle though. Now I have almost all of the ingredients for my falafel fish waffles.

Newest version of the Akaku Nuva:

DD7ZC6L.png

The Ace Railgun

Actually Ace, that is exactly what I want

Did you not see the tongue smily :P :p :P I obviously meant it as a joke...

Did you not see the tongue smily I obviously meant it as a joke...

I did see it was as a joke (smiley included. I don't know why it didn't show up in my quote). My apologies if you assumed I thought down about the comment; I simply saw using it the way I did as a method to again thank you all for your advice without seeming trite, and as a good transition for my counter-advice for aidenpons without seeming irritated. If it came off wrong, I apologize again. (And yes, I get you're not irritated now either, but still am posting this long explanation. Just roll with it.)

On to less serious topics!

I think (please, please, please) that I am done with the Akaku nuva.

I estimate that it took roughly 2.5-3 time longer than the average mask thus far, beating the record previously held by the Olmek.

I give thee the  Ridiculouslyovercomplicatedmasko'seeingthroughstuffthatisactuallyprettycoolifyoulookcloselybutnolessdifficulttodraw,whichcausedmetocomplainagreatdealbutwasactuallyquitefuntomake,andisthehardestcolortoshadewell.

KJO6fQZ.png

This is my 100th post! 

• Like 5

Akaka NuvaTcj0kls.png  Ukaku NuvaSAZoS6d.png

Brilliant once again Alcom. I would have never thought of making proper symmetrical versions.

(non-nuva) Akaka: 

wEejp8B.png

(non-nuva) Ukaku:

PkvRTj6.png

Not as cool as the Nuva ones, but they needed to be done too.

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.