The Great Kanohi Project

Prototyke

I'm sure it can get quite bland at times for the most precise lines and shading every week for simlar art that takes up about an inch or two in space.

My main question is, what do you plan to do with all the masks when the project is complete?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure it can get quite bland at times for the most precise lines and shading every week for simlar art that takes up about an inch or two in space. My main question is, what do you plan to do with all the masks when the project is complete?

My main reason for this is to practice my detailing, shading and dedication, but I may compile these into posters or something and sell them once I have more done. I don't really have a definitive end in mind.  You are right about the tediousness though. It is why I am often late, but the repetition and concretion of the goals give me a tangible goal to strive for that is more invigorating than my typical pointless fruitless drawing.

Since I have missed a bit, I come this week with extra goodies.

First off, I realized I probably should make a head for the masks. So I did.

L0rhin4.png

It's not a Kanohi, but it is now part of the project.

The Kraahkan has two "faces" on one mask, so I finished the second one.

3358Nc4.png TlNvnfr.png

I don't like this one as much, but as I did it, I realized just how inaccurate my first one was. That makes me feel good about my progress.

And finally, taking the medal for the most time spent on a single mask, the Olmak.

d6kwP1l.png

Not only is it gold, but it controls the dimensions, too. It doesn't get much better than that.

And I also updated all of the masks in the spoiler in the first post.

Thank you again everyone who comments on here, and thanks for putting up with my laziness and lateness.

Edit: I almost forgot. I touched up the Akaku. It looks a lot better now.

2KiyTYK.png

• Like 2

Yes, all of them in one place makes them look really nice (not that were not nice already, mind you). :D

I should look through my masks and take pictures of them. Perhaps they can be of help to you. I own all of the masks on second row (in the spoiler on the topic post) in addition to that small golden one + a few others I'm not sure about (you have done two of them already). :)

EDIT: You are planning on doing this guy's mask, right?

Kopaka_Nuva.jpg

Because I have his mask and Lewa's from the same area if you need reference images. Kopaka Nuva was the first Bionicle I owned, so he is special to me.

EDIT: You are planning on doing this guy's mask, right?

Because I have his mask and Lewa's from the same area if you need reference images. Kopaka Nuva was the first Bionicle I owned, so he is special to me.

Rather, I have decided to draw EVERY Kanohi mask.

All of them.

I should look through my masks and take pictures of them. Perhaps they can be of help to you. I own all of the masks on second row (in the spoiler on the topic post) in addition to that small golden one + a few others I'm not sure about (you have done two of them already). EDIT: You are planning on doing this guy's mask, right? Because I have his mask and Lewa's from the same area if you need reference images. Kopaka Nuva was the first Bionicle I owned, so he is special to me.

Yes, as Alcom so accurately pointed out, I do plan to do all of them, but the Nuva masks are so fluid looking I have put them off. The smoothness makes them look cool, but really hard to shade. My laziness kicks in at that point and they don't get done.

Thanks about your offer to photo them. I own at least one color of every mask that was available on Bricklink. The ones I didn't have I ordered a while back, so thanks, but no thanks. however, if you have the red-and-black Kiril, please do photo that one. I am still dubious over the coloring and only have the yellow version.

This is the first mask that isn't an elemental mask with a power. (excepting the Infected Hau, it doesn't have a power either.)

I couldn't find a name for it, and I don't know if the Glatorian helmets are even truly Kanohi, but I am still doing them, and I am calling this one The Tarix or Tarix's Mask since it was the mask Tarix wore.

1INq0lO.png

Doing a consistant front-view is good, but some masks lose a lot in a front view. This mask look quite like a scuba mask with metal seaweed growing off of the back when looked at from the side although some of that is lost in the front view. This is added to my list of vaguely more human-like Kanohi.

vitawrap, on 24 Nov 2013 - 06:51 AM, said: What does the glitchy image looks when tiled? That's... ..beatiful... How bored were you?

I am not sure if that is boredom or a level of insanity not seen before. So long as it doesn't rub off on me, I think I'll just let him to himself.

How bored would you even have to be to willingly copy+pate that static over twenty times?

• Like 1

It looks a little... squished. Just the shape of it. There again, I haven't got his mask/helmet/seaweed/whatever so this is based on practically nothing.

How bored would you even have to be to willingly copy+pate that static over twenty times?

That's what I was saying. :P

It looks a little... squished. Just the shape of it. There again, I haven't got his mask/helmet/seaweed/whatever so this is based on practically nothing.

I have it, and it does look a little squished in the set too. 

This week I made Metus's mask. The annoying little fellow had an annoying little mask. It was surprisingly hard considering it is symmetrical and only covers half the head. Must have been those horn things.

wPshMXL.png

And as Aidenpons' and Guurahk's critique was inconclusive, I have not changed the Tarix.

• Like 1

Yeah, you don't need to change Tarix's mask.

And Metus' mask is interesting... Does it really abruptly end like that on the bottom? Probably. :P

• 2 months later...

I have been neglecting this for, well, over two months, but I am finally back. But not on a Monday. Because Mondays suck. And because I happened to finish my mask today.

I have here today another Hau (LEGO was prolific with these), this one was worn by Toa Lhikan (who is awesome because he rides a Kikanalo).

HGRZdXn.png

Its an upgrade on the original Hau. It manages to retain the signature style, but makes it sleeker, more refined, and more gold

I have been neglecting this for, well, over two months,

(who is awesome because he rides a Kikanalo)

Only in the set. The Toa Metru were the only ones who rode a Kikanalo. They should have put him with someone else, like Nidhiki as the Toa of Air.

This mask looks good.

The eyes seem a bit small, but that might be just me.

I agree.

GbOcq6e.png

Better?

Aidenpons, I agree about the accuracy of the set, but I am still glad they produced a kikanalo set in some way, even if incorrect.

I was planning on finally finishing the Avohkii, but I couldn't find it, so I'll do it for next week, but I did finally start on the Toa Nuva masks beginning with the Miru Nuva,mask of Lewa Nuva.

wAikTi0.png

Lewa was my favorite Toa when I was a kid, but that mouth thing on the mask just psyches me out now (although I still like the overall appearance of this mask). It makes it look like its some demented green bunny with four ears that wants to kill me.

• Like 2

Better?  

Much better indeed!

It makes it look like its some demented green bunny with four ears that wants to kill me.

Nailed it. xD 

I was away the whole weekend, so I didn't get as much done on my mask as I would like, but I am going to post what I have so far, so you all can at least critique the shape and general shading of it.

The Kakama Nuva

DwxRuXJ.png

Really flat, but you get the gist of it.

It won't take me too much time to finish it, so I'll have the completed one up tomorrow.

Finished version:

cfVr1rD.png

I'm not positive about the contrast or the general brightness since I worked on it in several very different light conditions, but I'm pretty sure the shading is true to the mask. 

I'm not looking forward to Kopaka Nuva's mask but I'll keep working on some of the nuva masks (and the Avohkii when I find it.)

• Like 1

:D That Kakama Nuva is perfect. :D

It's awesome. Truly awesome. The way you rounded that corner there ( :P). Have a red brick. ( :P :P)

EDIT: Oh wow, five smilies in two lines and 20 words? :o

Oh great, this project is back! And the masks are amazing as ever, great work Prototyke. Looking through your completed list, I'm in awe of the detail and lighting you've captured on such a tiny array of pixels.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.