The Great Kanohi Project

Prototyke

The new Hua looks much better. The Avohkii/Kraahkan fuse looks... off. The KaKama looks very accurate. Good work! Why did I not follow this topic?

-Thanks

-I hand drew it, so I couldn't fix a lot of the mistakes I noticed after I had finished. The whole mask is too thin, so parts ended up looking squished.

-Thanks again

-I have no idea why you didn't.

Thank you to those who elaborated on the Kanohi wearing. I knew about Toa losing much of their power but not the rest.

It's Monday again, and I have another mask done.

As requested by Alcom1 I have drawn the Kaukau.

NhfTCMM.png

And in glorious transparency.

HPI8kmd.png

I made an animation to show the transparency, but, unfortunately, my conversion messed it up. It turned out very interesting.

pnIVUVO.gif

I made a second version without the highlights over the visor.

ERTqvpH.png

I'm not sure whether the mask's first or second version (highlights vs. no highlights) is better, or if I should make the mask more transparent.

Any opinions on these and the others is welcome.

newer versions are below

Alcom Isst

Kaukau.

The shading is absolutely fantastic, but the proportions make me tilt my head a bit. Overall the mask seems to be around 10% too tall.

The shading is absolutely fantastic, but the proportions make me tilt my head a bit. Overall the mask seems to be around 10% too tall

Wow... 

Thank you Alcom for your advice and compliments; I can't believe I was that much off...   The mask was about 7 px too tall.

New version-

u7VJ5eS.png

And transparent

u7VJ5eS.png

Just realized the Kraahkan has to be drawn twice, so I am up to 109 masks now. *sigh*

For some reason this mask took me an unusually long time to finish. I could not get it just right.  But after about four or five hours of tedious redrawing I finished the Miru, the mask of Levitation.

I have now completed 4 of the 6 original Toa masks

Unfortunately, I still couldn't get the palette just right, so I'll keep working with it. When I finally get it, I will post the finished Miru.

z9FTTN5.png

ydaH0KD.png

Feel free to give you opinion on how the color should be improved and any errors with the mask in general.

• Like 3

It seems a tad too tall.

Thanks for the input, but I am pretty sure that it isn't. It's supposed to be a little taller than the Hau and a little shorter than the Kaukau.

jy5porF.png

As to height compared to width, again I'm pretty sure that is correct. The angle of the mask (straight on) makes the protruding nose and wide holes in the mask end up looking somewhat odd, particularly at the edges. It may just be an optical illusion that it's too tall because of that.

First off, I forgot a mask last week. The Miru and the Rua (not Rau) are the same shape, so it is also done.

acdgQhc.png

Now back on track.

I finished the fifth out of the 6 Toa Mata masks.

I present the Pakari.

raOIaGC.png

And of course a purple one for the Tohunga.

jEBpAnC.png

I will eventually recolor all of the original masks to their Tohunga coloration, but Onepu's mask gets special priority since that was the first LEGO set I ever got.

You should make a gallery of all the masks, so we can see all the beauty in one place. :)

Keep up the good work!

I present the Pakari. raOIaGC.png And of course a purple one for the Tohunga. jEBpAnC.png

I have those. Well, I know for sure the black one, but I think I've seen the blue one. I need to get my Bionicle out of the closet and take pics of it all.

You should make a gallery of all the masks, so we can see all the beauty in one place.

After I complete a set (ie. the 6 Toa Mata masks) I plan to make a larger image out of those that is nicely laid out. I can post those under spoilers on the first post, but I still need to finish the Akaku before I do that, so you will have to wait till next week. Thank you for caring.

Eventually I plan to sell these set of masks as Stickers/posters/bookmarks/T-shirts? as suggested by Jimbob earlier.

I have essentially all of the Kanohi that I don't own in carts in Bricklink right now so that I can finish this project eventually, so when I start selling these masks, you all need to buy some. (I don't really expect any of you to buy this for my sake although it would be nice to make some money or at least not lose any.)

I will not have access to a computer or the internet next week, so unfortunately there will not be a new mask next Monday. Hopefully I will have made up for that with the influx today. (And I may make all of the recolors for the masks I have made so far before Monday and post them.)

First off, I have completed the Kanohi for the Toa Mata with the Akaku.

B37DLu0.png

This is the first mask that is not symmetrical. That said, this mask took me a while to draw and may not be completely accurate. Also, I think the shading is correct, but it may not be bold enough. If you see anything wrong with this one please let me know.

Next, since I have all six of the masks done, the golden Kanohi versions are also done.

JS7jR1j.pngg4kqVkk.pnggRXAAH8.pnggSHCaKk.pngTDPpNnc.pngk5VcrUI.png

*Shiny*

Also, I made an image with the six masks to display them and put it in the first post. As each set is completed, its respective image will be posted along with this one. The background it currently has will most likely be changed to something more Bionicle-y when I get around to making something for it. Maybe a grey embossed image of Mata Nui (the Island, not the great being).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's Monday and although I missed last one I have today's Kanohi completed an ready to - 

*A second Prototyke wearing a strange gold mask bursts in a flash of light into the room*

"Don't show It! Don't show It! In my time stream, the whole world starts to end when you show the RRU community that." the strange new Prototyke frantically yells.

"Wait wait wait. Are you wearing what I was going to show today? The - "

"NO! DON'T EVEN SAY WHAT ITS CALLED!" screeches the other Prototyke.

"... If I can't show the people it, can I at least use it? I could go back in time like Cirevam suggested and get some Toa Mata heads before the brains were put in. I would be cooler than the Doctor!" The normal Prototyke realizes.

"TheDoctor can't travel through time..." The strange Prototyke finally replies

The normal Prototyke lunges for the Prototyke with the funny gold mask on, but the strange Prototyke vanishes in a burst of light leaving only the smell of ozone.

"Oh well...   No Toa Mata heads for me, but at least I can show you the mask now."

And without further ado, the Vahi, the mask of Time, in both orange and gold!

JgdlEm5.pngCtZirnj.png

See, nothing went wr O3K6jUz.gif

And without further ado, the Vahi, the mask of Time, in both orange and gold! CtZirnj.png

I have the Gold version of that mask, but never knew what it was.

LimeKiller

It's Monday and although I missed last one I have today's Kanohi completed an ready to - *A second Prototyke wearing a strange gold mask bursts in a flash of light into the room* "Don't show It! Don't show It! In my time stream, the whole world starts to end when you show the RRU community that." the strange new Prototyke frantically yells. "Wait wait wait. Are you wearing what I was going to show today? The - " "NO! DON'T EVEN SAY WHAT ITS CALLED!" screeches the other Prototyke. "... If I can't show the people it, can I at least use it? I could go back in time like Cirevam suggested and get some Toa Mata heads before the brains were put in. I would be cooler than the Doctor!" The normal Prototyke realizes. ... "TheDoctor can't travel through time..." The strange Prototyke finally replies The normal Prototyke lunges for the Prototyke with the funny gold mask on, but the strange Prototyke vanishes in a burst of light leaving only the smell of ozone. "Oh well... No Toa Mata heads for me, but at least I can show you the mask now."

Have you gone insane again?

I have the Gold version of that mask, but never knew what it was.

Lucky. I had to get the orange one because I wasn't wiling to spend the 8 USD for a gold one.

Have you gone insane again?

There was a time I wasn't insane? I assumed I was always like this. Maybe I should go back in time and check.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have been mostly away with no internet for the past few weeks, so although I have finished the Kanohi, I have not had the opportunity to post them.

I decided to work on another set of masks, the masks of the Turaga of Mata Nui. Since I have been gone so long, the set is quite far along.

First, the Turaga Huna.

Og1ETO8.png

The Turaga Matatu.

Ai59UUT.png

The Turaga Rau.

Lg3oJnh.png

And finally, the Turaga Ruru.

LimeKiller told me that this version that I had at first is better and that I should post it so...  yeah...

xdbMbTD.png

But the finished version is much better in my opinion.

VWnTVD8.png

I also updated the Toa Mata mask layout in the first post.

• Like 3

Excuse my lesser knowledge of the Bionicle universe, but something nostalgic lit up inside me when I saw Nuju's mask. Almost makes me want to buy some of the original Turaga and Toa again.

Good job, yet again :thumbsup:

I keep almost managing to make thhe goal I set for myself and keep missing it. I am away again this week, and could not get reliable internet in the airport Monday to post the mask and had no internet yesterday either. I am posting this from a library now, so I'll keep it short.

The turaga Komau

33fNrmM.png

I really don't like unsymmetrical masks. They take too long.

Any suggestions or critique are appreciated.

• Like 2

I never realized that that mask was asymmetrical, but now that you mention it I do see it.  At least that's only different in the wiring on the front (one of very few masks to prominently feature electronics like circuitry).  I can imagine that the various masks, especially those belonging to the Toa of ice, that are seriously asymmetrical can be a pain.  Am I to take it that you draw half and mirror, or what is your process with masks that are symmetrical?

I never realized that that mask was asymmetrical, but now that you mention it I do see it. At least that's only different in the wiring on the front (one of very few masks to prominently feature electronics like circuitry). I can imagine that the various masks, especially those belonging to the Toa of ice, that are seriously asymmetrical can be a pain. Am I to take it that you draw half and mirror, or what is your process with masks that are symmetrical?

The Akaku was a pain and the other ice masks will be too. Luckily the wiring wasn't too bad. I usually end up drawing about 3/5 of the mask because I mirror it portion by portion. I get the main shape by drawing half of it then mirroring it, then I finish by touching it up as a whole.

It is, along with the turaga Mahiki, one of the few masks to have wiring and also one of the few that is very similar to a human face. I can't think of any other masks with wiring or that resemble human features closely (Nose, two eyes, mouth, no freakish things sticking off of the top). Perhaps they added the wiring to make it less human.

I think the wiring needs to be a bit darker.

I agree. I'll have it fixed by tomorrow along with the next mask.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.