The Great Kanohi Project

Prototyke

MaelstromIslander

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. If I confused you about movie vs. physical masks, I was only talking about the Kraahkan/Avohkii which is only in the movie. I always do the physical version if it exists. If what you said is important, please clarify for me; I don't want to be left out.

Nokama has a mask thats from the movie, and a phyisical version unlike the avokii/kraakahn which is movie-only (the second face on the Kraakahn's mask you mentioned is actually supposed to be the Avokii/Kraakahn, though). I meant that you shouldn't get Nokama's movie mask confused with the physical one.

Thanks for the picture, however there are two lighting positions I use to get it how I want. The one you uploaded is the first, but I also need lighting from the front and slightly above. The picture below displays the angles I would need. You got me the one on the left. I need the one on the right. If you are willing to get that photo too (or anyone else who wants to help fill in the gaps), you can just edit your post or PM it to me.

Just tell me which angle you want for shading, i could just take a picture of the mask in real life.

Thanks for the clarification MaelstromIslander.

Just tell me which angle you want for shading, i could just take a picture of the mask in real life.

I made the sprite pic in my last comment to show the angle you could photo the mask in real life. I can upload photos of some of my own masks tomorrow to clarify what I want. I'll just update this post. Sorry that I don't have them now; I don't know where a camera is right now.

Try to photo them as straight on as possible and one light-from-the-side and one light-from-the-front angle.

Vqcxvp3.jpg

5zG6mE2.jpg

Now for the actual mask.  This is Photok's Kakama. I'm a bit dubious about my orange palette (previously from the Vahi). Is it alright? 

xdgeUKq.png

And last but not least, I built the Avohkii beetle over the weekend. I wanted to get up pics sooner, but as I said earlier I wasn't sure where a camera was. I'll try to get up all these pics tomorrow.

• Like 2

I'm a bit dubious about my orange palette (previously from the Vahi). Is it alright?

I'm holding up Photok's mask to the screen, it looks like perfection. Definitely good enough for me.  :thumbsup:

Yep. Slightly too bright (maybe). But that is one good mask. *goes and repairs Photok and rummages for his jetpack* :P

The Hordika version of the Matatu:

hmB4ALy.png

I think it came out pretty well, although on the gray background the details may be hard to clearly see. Let me know if you think it should be changed.

Trivia: This mask had the simplest outline of any mask thus far.

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

The Hordika version of the Matatu:

hmB4ALy.png

I think it came out pretty well, although on the gray background the details may be hard to clearly see. Let me know if you think it should be changed.

Trivia: This mask had the simplest outline of any mask thus far.

Really cool, actually i never noticed the Ko-matoran type eye implant on his hordika mask... huh...

We have here the Ruru (such a funny name) in Visorak-ed Hordika form.

z1hinAJ.png

I really don't know why, but I think of caterpillars wearing baseball caps when I see this mask.

• Like 3

Guurahk204

I really don't know why, but I think of caterpillars wearing baseball caps when I see this mask.

Now I want to make baseball caps for my catepillars.

Anyway, great job on these! Nuju's mask was boss, it looked almost like a 3D render with cell shading.

• Like 2

Just a slight question: can you recolor the Mata masks to be gold and silver? Or would that make your list waaaaaay too long... :P

Oh, and if I don't reply then you know that either I don't have it and can't provide much feedback, or that it's really good and there's nothing to improve. :P

The Hordika masks look really weird from front-view... :3 No chance you could do a side-view :3 ? :P

How can I buy those Ruru Hats? What's the postage? Do I need to declare them? How large actually are they? If I'm a Makuta, then surely the arm and leg part of the price become useless as I can just 'grow' another one? :P

can you recolor the Mata masks to be gold and silver?

Recolors are pretty easy, so sure, I can do that.

The Hordika masks look really weird from front-view... No chance you could do a side-view

There are quite a few masks that would look better from the side, but for the sake of consistency I chose to do them from the front and only from the front. Currently, doing side-views of all the masks I think would need both would make this take way too long (and the estimated two years is quite enough), but after I have finished all of the others, I may go back and do side views if I am still feeling up to it. 

How can I buy those Ruru Hats? What's the postage? Do I need to declare them? How large actually are they? If I'm a Makuta, then surely the arm and leg part of the price become useless as I can just 'grow' another one?

Fold the money into paper airplanes (I'm assuming you converted your arms, legs, and kanoka into the before-mentioned bio-checks) and throw them into the wind on a bald hill while chanting dark magic; if it was done right, your hats show up underneath the closest rotten log to your position.I'll charge you for how many stamps it takes me to completely cover the box I'm shipping it in. You must declare that they are awesome whenever you have one with you and you meet a new person. Big enough for your favorite caterpillar. Yes, your limbs are worth less, but you can carry many more kanoka, so it evens out.

I hope this helps

Currently, doing side-views of all the masks I think would need both would make this take way too long (and the estimated two years is quite enough), but after I have finished all of the others, I may go back and do side views if I am still feeling up to it.
I thought so. Oh well, that'll be my next job for the years to come What? You never heard anything... :P

Fold the money into paper airplanes (I'm assuming you converted your arms, legs, and kanoka into the before-mentioned bio-checks) and throw them into the wind on a bald hill while chanting dark magic; if it was done right, your hats show up underneath the closest rotten log to your position. I'll charge you for how many stamps it takes me to completely cover the box I'm shipping it in. You must declare that they are awesome whenever you have one with you and you meet a new person. Big enough for your favorite caterpillar. Yes, your limbs are worth less, but you can carry many more kanoka, so it evens out.

If I don't get them after going to a bald hill (there's one that I can go to easily) and throwing the airplanes into the wind (plenty there), I will not be happy.

But wait; there are no shipping costs! It appears under a rotten log! So, they're free, especially as how you said it can be forged paper money.

O.T.
You made a mistake saying that. A big one. :P

But wait; there are no shipping costs! It appears under a rotten log! So, they're free, especially as how you said it can be forged paper money.

Who said spontaneous teleportation is free? Dark magic post offices are very pricey. And you can't forge biochecks. It just doesn't work like that. The dark magic you said wouldn't work and nothing would be under that log. Sorry, but you can't just go ripping people off. That's not how it works.

So I touched all of these masks up as I made them metallic and shiny, but for them to look really good, I would have to put a lot more time and effort into them to get all of the extra highlights and contrast into it. Here they are and some older ones for comparison. You can really see a lot of the details when they have high contrast.

Original GoldJS7jR1j.pngg4kqVkk.pnggRXAAH8.pnggSHCaKk.pngTDPpNnc.pngk5VcrUI.png

New Gold      jGsiBDC.pngNCT8mRH.pngbPsXVoK.pnglRG5AX5.pngMorCfEe.pnggrTzULc.png

Silver             zevjJnD.pngozVqdYe.pngWWOMzWQ.png0zk6ezb.pngfZxfjHa.pngc7N21nN.png

This silver akaku looks like a rock. So do all but the kaukau and miru.

I don't have a new mask today, but you don't notice that past all of the shiny. I'm blaming it on being sick this time.

How do you choose what mask to do next, and how many have you done already (I have not been following this topic like certain others :P)?

I don't have a new mask today, but you don't notice that past all of the shiny. I'm blaming it on being sick this time.

Oh, I noticed. :P And yes, you do have a new mask. Refer to the aforementioned shiny. :P

How do you choose what mask to do next, and how many have you done already (I have not been following this topic like certain others

I have all my masks in a big pile, and I just keep grabbing one until I get an easy looking one, unless I'm working on a series, then I grab the first one I see in that series that I haven't done yet. It is a method of the highest rigor, precision, and difficulty.

As to how many I have done, I have 40 individual designs done. This does not exactly reflect on the number of masks as there are masks like the hau who have 4 versions(great hau, infected hau, aki, and golden kanohi) but it still only counts as one in the list. I probably have over 50 masks from the list done and way more recolors done though. I have a tally on the first post that I'm crossing off finished masks, but I haven't updated it in a while. I can let you know exactly once I do that.

May I use your drawing of the Olmak as an avatar for skype? I've been looking for a good image of one, and yours is far better than the ones I've found.

May I use your drawing of the Olmak as an avatar for skype? I've been looking for a good image of one, and yours is far better than the ones I've found.

Yes, and thanks, for the compliment, but particularly for asking. I can't stop anyone from using them, but I greatly appreciative when I am asked first.

I'm sorry this is delayed, but we ran out of visorak to infect our toa with. All of us at Prototyke Industries had to scramble, but managed to find yet another Hordika mask to produce. We have the Rau that is infected but not completely changed by those annoying visorak (which, for you non-bionicle-y people round here,  just means it is a hordika mask). 

03aGhww.png

All of us

One? :P

STOP MAKING SUCH GOOD MASKS THAT I CAN'T SEE A SINGLE FLAW IN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :P

You're better than Vakama at mask-making.

• 4 weeks later...

I really haven't used the computer for the past three weeks and have been away some, and I'm going to be gone for the next three weeks too, so, yeah, sorry.

Excuses aside, I still managed to finish another mask between periods of not using my computer, and I present to all of you the Pakari Nuva Adaptive mask; one of my personal favorites.

nJjAh0S.png

And some other stuff:

This mask was made by a friend

LLOQy3q.png

And he said the PNA was perfect except it should be pink

fiNnqeC.png

• Like 2

And he said the PNA was perfect except it should be pink

Just in case Onepu ever becomes a Toa and gets Adaptive Armor. :P 

Which isn't blue enough.

Quite right. Hopefully this will remedy any color issues.

10OtzQT.gif

My apologizes about the less than preferable non-transparent background. I am using a plugin for PDN that doesn't support transparencies.

These masks are fantastic. I love your work here.

Thanks. Always nice to have fans.0UmQOKw.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.