BrickPi: Raspberry Pi Meets Mindstorms

lol username

lol username

This news is a bit old by now, but better late than never. Ever wanted to combine a Raspberry Pi with LEGO Mindstorms? Here's a kickstarter project that helps you do just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFH-dxR6Neg

The BrickPi is two-part device created by Dexter Industries. The first part is a board that connects directly to the Raspberry Pi, giving it a power supply and the ability to connect with and use up to 4 Mindstorms NXT sensors and 3 motors. The second is a case that can be directly connected to LEGO Technic pieces. The entire platform is open source, and very hackable.

The board's firmware is written in Arduino, and like everything else in the project, is open source.

The kickstarter project had an initial goal of $1,889. It is currently at $42,844.

Sources: Kickstarter
  • Like 1

RobExplorien

Cool! Especially because it has a special brick case to attach it to, and we have just started with Arduino hardware/software in our computer science class. Now I feel obliged to buy Mindstorms (one day). The only thing that bothered me was the excessive smiling of the kid at 3:52. :P

Looks awesome. It'd be a cheap alternative to the NXT.

It was a bit hard to tell from the video, but can more boards be stacked (to use more sensors and motors)? My main issue with the NXT, apart from its size, is the fact that it only has 3 motor ports (of course you can purchase something like this, but that's 50 bucks). The project says they aim to bring the BrickPi's cost down to the Pi's cost.

Using the Pi as a NXT brick is smart stuff! Programming in Python offers a lot more possibilities, but there is probably already a way to do so, without the Raspberry Pi. I also have a lot of interest for the brick case, it would make mounting my Pi around a lot easier. Looking forward!

*Note to myself: add to wish list.

I wish they were making the robotic parts also, I've never really been keen on the NXT parts.

• Like 2

The Ace Railgun

I wish they were making the robotic parts also, I've never really been keen on the NXT parts.

Yeah and maybe add some of their own sensors and stuff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.