1973 LEGO Animation Re-Released

lol username

lol username

The Magic Portal is widely regarded as the first ever brickfilm, or LEGO animation, made between 1985 and 1989 on 16 mm film. However, an even older brickfilm has just been released to the public, exactly 40 years after its original release in 1973: En rejse til månen (Journey to the Moon).

Here's what one of the creators has to say about it:

As a gift to our grandparents' golden wedding anniversary in 1973, my cousin Henrik (10) and I (12) decided to make a film with Lego, which was about a moon trip, inspired by the Apollo program of that time. We spent many week ends on planning and building props. My little sister Inger (10) helped us with the landscapes of papier-mâché. It was filmed in Super 8 without sound. Most of the film is stop motion animation, but there are also scenes with movement using a fishing line.

After the party our grandparents took the film and us to Billund, where we showed it to Godtfred Kirk Christiansen. He liked it and had a copy made. We, in turn, got a Lego factory tour and got some big sets to take home.

Oversættelse af tekster

(English translations of texts appearing)

Lars & Henrik Hassing præsenterer

(Lars & Henrik Hassing present)

Filmen er lavet til Farmor og Farfar i anledning af deres guldbryllup den 16. maj 1973

(The film is made for Grandma and Grandpa on the occasion of their golden wedding anniversary on 16 May 1973)

L.R.F.I. = Legolands Rum Forsknings Institut

(L.A.S.A. = Legoland Aeronautics & Space Administration)

To dage senere

(Two days later)

Slut L-H film 73

(The End L-H Film '73)

... Wow. That says it all, doesn't it? Despite being made with technology from the early 70s, it's miles ahead of more recent kid-made brickfilms. Pretty incredible.

Sources: Lugnet

Amazing, I love it!

It's so smooth, so much better than a lot of the brickfilms made today.

where we showed it to Godtfred Kirk Christiansen

Back when TLG were more approachable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

That was really good! It's simple yet brilliant! To many Brickfilmers, this is genesis...

you bumped a topic.a fairly old topic. you bumped it with just a few words.prepare for an angry Australian to blow off your face.

That was really good! It's simple yet brilliant! To many Brickfilmers, this is genesis...

you bumped a topic.a fairly old topic. you bumped it with just a few words.prepare for an angry Australian to blow off your face.

I think you should be the one to prepare for that. He isn't all too happy with backseat moderators. Nor am I keen on punctuation errors. Also, define 'few words'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.