LEGO Rock Raiders 'Diorama' Idea

Jimbob

A little while ago I mentioned some >diorama plans I had. One of those was to make a Rock Raiders diorama, using the sets I've accumulated over time (I now have the Tool Store, Support Station and Power Station, as well as all the official sets). I also posted a topic asking about >display cases... Well, I am now ready to make the Rock Raiders diorama, and have worked out how I'm going to display it. I'm rather excited so I thought I'd share my idea, because hey, that's what forums are for ;)

Basically I have a fairly large space to fill, which you can see below:

gallery_5738_293_90287.jpg

The space I'm using is actually on the shelf above that shelf, but it's pretty cluttered at the moment.

Being a wargamer, I found out about a gaming mat stockist called Zuzzy. They produce nice roll-out 3D mats, and one of theirs is perfect for a Rock Raiders cavern setting - the Sulfur Fields gaming mat:

DR-TF-001.painted.jpg

It actually comes unpainted so I can change the look a little. So I figured I'd get one of these and slot it into the space I have, creating a nice base for my models. As it's made from latex rubber, the LEGO models will grip nicely and shouldn't jog about.

However, I still had the problem of a window to encase it. That's when I found The Plastic Man! Their plastic seems cheap*, so I figured I'd purchase a simple clear plastic sheet and pin it in front of the display. Problem solved, hopefully.

So, to sum it up, my plan is to paint up a rock-style gaming mat and place the LEGO on top, surrounding it in plastic sheets. It's my birthday soon (whoopee) so I'll be able to purchase it all in one go. Once finished, I'll definitely be posting photos here. What do you think?

*Does anyone with knowledge know whether an Acrylic (Perspex) sheet 3mm thick is suitable for a sheet that will be almost 1 metre long and wide?

I sometimes have the tendency to notice irrelevant things, and I could not help but notice that your Tahu canister has Kopaka's lid on it.

No, that has nothing to do with anything but still. I'm pleasantly surprised that you at least still have the canister. I lost/broke/threw out the majority of mine. Wish I hadn't.

BACK ON TOPIC

This sounds like a great idea! Question: Will you be using only official released sets, or will you try and recreate the buildings and vehicles from the game that never got a physical release?

You should get a crapload of Sparks figures with generic heads to represent generic units. It would be awesome.

I sometimes have the tendency to notice irrelevant things, and I could not help but notice that your Tahu canister has Kopaka's lid on it.

No, that has nothing to do with anything but still. I'm pleasantly surprised that you at least still have the canister. I lost/broke/threw out the majority of mine. Wish I hadn't.

No! NOOO! I'm really annoyed at that, as these weren't my own originals. I'd bought Tahu along with Onua, Lewa and Gali off eBay, and the latter three had missing/incorrectly replaced parts. I thought something wasn't right about the canisters too, but disregarded it. I've decided that when I do come to properly buying Bionicles, I'm going to save up and get them new/sealed from Bricklink.

Anyway, as you said... BACK ON TOPIC.

This sounds like a great idea! Question: Will you be using only official released sets, or will you try and recreate the buildings and vehicles from the game that never got a physical release?

You should get a crapload of Sparks figures with generic heads to represent generic units. It would be awesome.

I'm using both official sets and in-game ones, as I said earlier I do already have the Tool Store, Support Station and Power Station.

Yeah, I'd thought about getting loads of Sparks, I think I might now :D Although if I did, should I replace their heads with generic faces like they are in the game? Unless that's a silly idea. Also, if I have enough money, I'll aim to get a Support Station for every 10 Rock Raiders. At the moment I have nearly 20, so they're slowly running out of Oxygen.

No! NOOO! I'm really annoyed at that, as these weren't my own originals. I'd bought Tahu along with Onua, Lewa and Gali off eBay, and the latter three had missing/incorrectly replaced parts. I thought something wasn't right about the canisters too, but disregarded it. I've decided that when I do come to properly buying Bionicles, I'm going to save up and get them new/sealed from Bricklink.

The Canister lids more-or-less match the color of the Toa inside. Tahu's canister has a red-brown lid, while Kopaka's is silver and Onua's is dark grey...

On second look that might actually be Onua's lid. Idk, but it's not Tahu's.

Just so you know.

BACK ON TOPIC

I'm using both official sets and in-game ones, as I said earlier I do already have the Tool Store, Support Station and Power Station. Yeah, I'd thought about getting loads of Sparks, I think I might now Although if I did, should I replace their heads with generic faces like they are in the game? Unless that's a silly idea. Also, if I have enough money, I'll aim to get a Support Station for every 10 Rock Raiders. At the moment I have nearly 20, so they're slowly running out of Oxygen.

Yes, you should replace the heads. They don't all have to be the standard featureless smiley-face that's used in game, there are other generic faces, like the sunglasses one or the mustache one. Just don't keep the original head.

Also they don't have to all be Sparks either. Most of them should be, as the generic units you use in-game are based off him, but if you look closely in the cutscenes you can see duplicate Docs walking by, and maybe others.

But yes, build yourself an army of minifigures using Rock Raider bodies and generic heads.

And get some more support stations!

YOUR AIR SUPPLY IS RUNNING OUT!

RobExplorien

Though I'm not very familiar with the Rock Raiders theme, I always love to see such LEGO dioramas (hence I'd love to go to BrickCon (or something equal to that) one day!). And having seen your Racers dioramas, I'm certain of it that you'll do a great job.

Ah yes, the risks of online buying, I am familiar with that. That's why I also aim for MISB LEGO lately. A bit more expensive, but assuring you of complete sets. Plus, (old) MISB sets offer great set reviewing material.

Oh wow! JimbobJeffers! This would be a difficult task for you! I am willing to see you try and I hope it becomes a success!

I'm using both official sets and in-game ones, as I said earlier I do already have the Tool Store, Support Station and Power Station. Yeah, I'd thought about getting loads of Sparks, I think I might now Although if I did, should I replace their heads with generic faces like they are in the game? Unless that's a silly idea. Also, if I have enough money, I'll aim to get a Support Station for every 10 Rock Raiders. At the moment I have nearly 20, so they're slowly running out of Oxygen.

Yes, you should replace the heads. They don't all have to be the standard featureless smiley-face that's used in game, there are other generic faces, like the sunglasses one or the mustache one. Just don't keep the original head.

Also they don't have to all be Sparks either. Most of them should be, as the generic units you use in-game are based off him, but if you look closely in the cutscenes you can see duplicate Docs walking by, and maybe others.

But yes, build yourself an army of minifigures using Rock Raider bodies and generic heads.

And get some more support stations!

YOUR AIR SUPPLY IS RUNNING OUT!

So with regards to heads... Stuff like this and this and this perhaps? Good point about the variety of figures too, I'll be sure to throw in a few of the other figures too.

The only problem with the custom Rock Raiders buildings is they use so many of the 1x4 danger tiles, and I have to order them at 20-30p each from a bulk seller because few people seem to sell them along with everything else I need.

Though I'm not very familiar with the Rock Raiders theme, I always love to see such LEGO dioramas (hence I'd love to go to BrickCon (or something equal to that) one day!). And having seen your Racers dioramas, I'm certain of it that you'll do a great job.

Thank you, I do aim to please ;)

Oh wow! JimbobJeffers! This would be a difficult task for you! I am willing to see you try and I hope it becomes a success!

Well, I suppose it's more a thing of money (which I need to earn more of now) than skill. But I will do my best to succeed and produce something truly awesome!

Just talking about it has psyched me up even more. Now I'm thinking I should stockpile a ton of Ore and Energy Crystals, and just line the walls with them :D

Time to sell some old stuff on eBay...

So with regards to heads... Stuff like this and this and this perhaps? Good point about the variety of figures too, I'll be sure to throw in a few of the other figures too.

Yes, those heads will do great. Make sure to get at least one mustache guy in there as well, along with some female heads...

Also, I like to think the the outfit signifies which profession each Raider is trained as... So the ground units should use Sparks's or Docs's outfit, pilots should use Jet's, Drivers use Axle's, Sailors use Bandit's.

Feel free to mix around headgear and accessories as well. Have some with helmets, some without, some with hair, some bald, some with scarves, some with backpacks, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is to introduce some variety to the figures while not making them stand out too much and still making them look like they belong.

EDIT: Speaking of fitting in, it might actually be best not to use heads with the white highlight in their eyes. None of the Rock Raiders have those highlights, so it might look out-of-place.

I can't wait to see this :D

lol username

I'd also rather see you use the old style heads here instead of ones from after the minifigure style change - it would make it feel more Rock Raiders-ish.

Yes, those heads will do great. Make sure to get at least one mustache guy in there as well, along with some female heads...

Also, I like to think the the outfit signifies which profession each Raider is trained as... So the ground units should use Sparks's or Docs's outfit, pilots should use Jet's, Drivers use Axle's, Sailors use Bandit's.

Feel free to mix around headgear and accessories as well. Have some with helmets, some without, some with hair, some bald, some with scarves, some with backpacks, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is to introduce some variety to the figures while not making them stand out too much and still making them look like they belong.

EDIT: Speaking of fitting in, it might actually be best not to use heads with the white highlight in their eyes. None of the Rock Raiders have those highlights, so it might look out-of-place.

I can't wait to see this :D

Well, I only have one of each official set, but I could probably get more (the smaller ones aren't that expensive on Bricklink). Then I can have all the figures performing their own roles.

I'd also rather see you use the old style heads here instead of ones from after the minifigure style change - it would make it feel more Rock Raiders-ish.

Noted, I'll definitely do this rather than use white-eyed figure heads, etc, as Fushigisaur mentioned.

I may have to find an alternative to Zuzzy - unfortunately many reviews state that, although they specify a 4 week delivery time from the US (I'm in the UK), most orders take two months with no communication whatsoever from the company. It's a one-man operation from what I read, but if he's going to start a business he should have this stuff sorted. I'll have a look around for other gaming mats, but I doubt any will match the quality of these ones, and I don't think I have the ability to produce my own to the same standard, if I can't find a different company I'll just take the bullet and order from Zuzzy.

BobaFett2

Are you going to have that mat on all sides but the window (and then have some internal illumination)? I think that'd look pretty good.

Are you going to have that mat on all sides but the window (and then have some internal illumination)? I think that'd look pretty good.

I was wondering what to do with the walls. I'd rather not purchase more mats as they're expensive, but I don't know what else would be good.

hni0083s.jpg

Here are some heads that I collected from around my room. These are the kinds of heads I was referring to.

These specific heads would work great, if you have any of them.

Also, off-topic, it is definitely Onua's lid on that canister- I checked.

I happen to have a spare Tahu lid with no canister lying around if you want it. Don't know how I'd get it to you though.

Also, if the mat is just a rubber mat that you paint yourself, to keep the sets from sliding around, then there is no need to put the mat on the walls. You can just paint the walls directly with the same colors and pattern. If there's not enough paint for all of it try taking the cans to Home Depot, I believe they can match the colors for you. Or not. I don't know if they accept whatever kind of paint that is.

hni0083s.jpg

Here are some heads that I collected from around my room. These are the kinds of heads I was referring to.

These specific heads would work great, if you have any of them.

Also, off-topic, it is definitely Onua's lid on that canister- I checked.

I happen to have a spare Tahu lid with no canister lying around if you want it. Don't know how I'd get it to you though.

Also, if the mat is just a rubber mat that you paint yourself, to keep the sets from sliding around, then there is no need to put the mat on the walls. You can just paint the walls directly with the same colors and pattern. If there's not enough paint for all of it try taking the cans to Home Depot, I believe they can match the colors for you. Or not. I don't know if they accept whatever kind of paint that is.

Perhaps then I just switched Tahu's and Onua's lids by mistake, while giving them a wash. I could have sworn there were bogeys rubbed on some of the canisters. Cheers for the offer, but I'm planning on getting a sealed one some time in the future so don't worry :)

Thanks for that picture, that's perfect, these will be just the ones I'll go for!

Yes, I'll probably paint the walls. I'll aim to get similar colours to those used in the game, to keep things similar. I was thinking of, either tonight or tomorrow, clearing out my shelf space and placing all my Rock Raiders stuff up there to get an idea of how it will look, I'll take pictures once I've done so and post them here.

Car CrazeXVI

I believe this officially ends the can problem.

I was wondering what to do with the walls. I'd rather not purchase more mats as they're expensive, but I don't know what else would be good.

A 2X4X6 Wall Element? You'd have to buy a lot of them, but it's all I can think of.
Oh, and some 30596 4242252 pieces would make nice scenery.

EDIT: Fixed undefined links. How did that even happen?

A 2X4X6 Wall Element? You'd have to buy a lot of them, but it's all I can think of.

Oh, and some 30596 pieces would make nice scenery.

Ha, thanks for that first link :P

Your second two are undefined though. But I think the wall elements wouldn't be tall enough.

I once found a Power Miners (Boo!) display case on Ebay... It may have been bought or something because if I was able to get a link to the page then I would be able to show you (you wouldn't have to buy it, I only want to show how Lego display their sets).

I once found a Power Miners (Boo!) display case on Ebay... It may have been bought or something because if I was able to get a link to the page then I would be able to show you (you wouldn't have to buy it, I only want to show how Lego display their sets).

I already have two tall display cases, but they were £40 each from IKEA and I've never seen anything near that price elsewhere, so that display case may have gone for a fair bit more than I can afford - which is why I'm making this custom one using plastic sheet. I would have been interested to see that though.

Anyway, I have an update! I haven't purchased anything yet, but I cleared out the space where I'm putting my Rock Raiders, and positioned the models in a draft layout. Unfortunately... The space isn't as big as I'd imagined. It's still nice though, and makes for a rather cluttered (in a good way, I hope) diorama. Here are the pictures of my proposed layout - I mainly used flash as it picked up more detail:

gallery_5738_269_641047.jpg

gallery_5738_269_72907.jpg

gallery_5738_269_1450782.jpg

gallery_5738_269_226479.jpg

gallery_5738_269_467669.jpg

Those with keen eyes may notice that the Power Station's base is too small - I ordered the wrong one - and that the Tool Store is missing its dynamite. The Power Station also holds 8 Energy Crystals in its storage.

Perhaps, to make more space, I should hang the Tunnel Transport from the ceiling by invisible string?

So, does this layout work, or should I rearrange it? Due to space constrictions, I think I'll buy parts for a Docks and second or third Support Station, depending on how many figures I get. Also, as the boards above this space have cracks in between, I'll need to seal them off to prevent dust. But, I thought I might stick a cable through and add some dull green lighting from above :D

Additionally, my brother suggested making the sides and ceiling out of paper mache and painting them up, which I thought was a great idea.

And, lastly, I've decided to add another Zuzzy mat (the urban one) down below to display my original Alpha Team sets - I'm just missing the bomber and Ogel's base:

gallery_5738_269_1192561.jpg

Can't watch ATM, so I have no idea what it is. You have piqued my curiosity.

But I think the wall elements wouldn't be tall enough.

How about this one?

Anyway, I have an update! I haven't purchased anything yet, but I cleared out the space where I'm putting my Rock Raiders, and positioned the models in a draft layout. Unfortunately... The space isn't as big as I'd imagined. It's still nice though, and makes for a rather cluttered (in a good way, I hope) diorama. Here are the pictures of my proposed layout - I mainly used flash as it picked up more detail:  

Spoiler  

So, does this layout work, or should I rearrange it? Due to space constrictions, I think I'll buy parts for a Docks and second or third Support Station, depending on how many figures I get. Also, as the boards above this space have cracks in between, I'll need to seal them off to prevent dust. But, I thought I might stick a cable through and add some dull green lighting from above

Additionally, my brother suggested making the sides and ceiling out of paper mache and painting them up, which I thought was a great idea.

It is cluttered- very cluttered. Like,I-have-no-clue-what-even-is-going-on cluttered. But too much empty space would hurt it as well- There needs to be a balance, not so cluttered as to confuse, but still have a lot going on.

ATM it looks a little like a traffic jam and i can't imagine any of these vehicles being able to get anything done when everything else is blocking them.

My advice, here, is to determine exactly what task each raider or vehicle is trying to accomplish, and arrange your figures as though they are currently trying to accomplish this task. For example, I see the base is being attacked- have some raiders with pusher beams fighting off the rock monster.

Push a couple of the drilling vehicles facing the wall as though digging, and position some raiders around it to collect the debris.

Have your Loader-Dozer clearing away rubble- it sort of is already but it looks more like a transport than anything. Try having it pushing a larger pile of ore instead of lifting and carrying them.

I assume you're going to have some sort of river eventually? The Rapid Rider needs to be on water, fake or otherwise.

Hanging the Tunnel Transport from the ceiling is a great idea, if you can make it work. When doing so, though, make sure you have cleared a spot for an obvious landing pad. Try a simple 4x4 square of 16x16 base plates, with some 'lights' along the edge. You can have some raiders on it, it doesn't have to be completely clear, but try to give it an obvious place to land.

Also could you try to lift the Hover Scout off the ground a bit, somehow? Maybe put a single clear brick under it or something? Just a thought.

Also the duplicate raiders are really throwing me off. I trust that, when finalized, you will be using the generic faces, yes? And are you going to assign bodies based on jobs or just screw that idea? It would add a bit of order to the layout and, honestly, would look plain better.

EDIT: I just remembered the other thing I wanted to say, about the lights. In-game, when you reinforce a wall, the resulting scaffold has a lamp mounted on it. I was thinking that maybe you could do something similar, if you know what I mean?

You do notice Fushigisaur that it would probably take four of those rock wall elements to be as high as the base (depends on the angle the crane arm is at) and JimbobJeffers would need many of those to fill three walls of his glass case.

You do notice Fushigisaur that it would probably take four of those rock wall elements to be as high as the base (depends on the angle the crane arm is at) and JimbobJeffers would need many of those to fill three walls of his glass case.

Yes but it would take even more of the first one suggested.

Either way, yes, it is a huge investment and very impractical.

Best choice would probably be the paper maché, or to just paint the walls.

It is cluttered- very cluttered. Like,I-have-no-clue-what-even-is-going-on cluttered. But too much empty space would hurt it as well- There needs to be a balance, not so cluttered as to confuse, but still have a lot going on.

ATM it looks a little like a traffic jam and i can't imagine any of these vehicles being able to get anything done when everything else is blocking them.

My advice, here, is to determine exactly what task each raider or vehicle is trying to accomplish, and arrange your figures as though they are currently trying to accomplish this task. For example, I see the base is being attacked- have some raiders with pusher beams fighting off the rock monster.

Push a couple of the drilling vehicles facing the wall as though digging, and position some raiders around it to collect the debris.

Have your Loader-Dozer clearing away rubble- it sort of is already but it looks more like a transport than anything. Try having it pushing a larger pile of ore instead of lifting and carrying them.

I assume you're going to have some sort of river eventually? The Rapid Rider needs to be on water, fake or otherwise.

Hanging the Tunnel Transport from the ceiling is a great idea, if you can make it work. When doing so, though, make sure you have cleared a spot for an obvious landing pad. Try a simple 4x4 square of 16x16 base plates, with some 'lights' along the edge. You can have some raiders on it, it doesn't have to be completely clear, but try to give it an obvious place to land.

Also could you try to lift the Hover Scout off the ground a bit, somehow? Maybe put a single clear brick under it or something? Just a thought.

Also the duplicate raiders are really throwing me off. I trust that, when finalized, you will be using the generic faces, yes? And are you going to assign bodies based on jobs or just screw that idea? It would add a bit of order to the layout and, honestly, would look plain better.

EDIT: I just remembered the other thing I wanted to say, about the lights. In-game, when you reinforce a wall, the resulting scaffold has a lamp mounted on it. I was thinking that maybe you could do something similar, if you know what I mean?

Thank you for the feedback! This definitely wasn't a final plan, but a rough idea to get feedback (like this) before I purchase everything for the final display. I like the idea of set tasks, and I will try to implement this - having the vehicles drilling/clearing rubble sounds good, as well as the pusher beams to fight off the rock monsters.

Yes, there will be a river either painted onto the mat I'm ordering, or I'll cut into the mat and construct one (paper mache again?)

I'm not sure I have space for the landing pad, the idea of hanging the Tunnel Transport was to make more space, I was hoping it could be imagined that it lands in a location cut out of the scene. The Hover Scout will float too, I thought about buying a transparent LEGO stand or alternatively some wire.

Yep, I'll have duplicate faces, your ideas were too good to throw away ;) These are just the ones I have now, I have yet to buy more and the buildings too.

If I can add scaffolding to the paper mache (which I will try to do) I will add lights to them too. It shouldn't be hard to feed wires through the paper mache.

Again, thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated and will be acted upon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.