-Rocket Racer-

Finished: 2 faces

WIP: 4 faces / chest / helmet / legs

-Commander Cold-

Finished: helmet / chest

WIP: 6 heads

• Like 11

RobExplorien

Sounds interesting. I've seen others working on HD textures (for minifigs) before, and it's always nice to hear more people working on this. The hair parting on the Rocket Racer head bothers me a bit though. Just a question: what method do you (or others) use to make these HD skins? I've been working on new minifig textures, and I'd figure I had better 'HD texture' while I'm working on it, than later on.

Nitegeist

well, to be fair, this is what the original texture looks like

2zob1j6.jpg

and this is what he ends up looking with his helmet on

15eu1j.png

but i agree it looks a bit weird, i can close it up a bit. i'm totally open to feedback.

this is my method: i import the skins in After Effects (yes, after effects... i can't use illustrator and i work on AE for a living, so i'm using that), i scale them up to the desired size, make a new layer of the color i need and basically trace the skin using a mask. i then add new layers for each color/detail.

i export them as png, import them into photoshop, turn the color mode to indexed and export a bmp.

the chest skins are a bit different. i've done some research and i found that the chest part is squashed horizontally by 20%. so i work on the texture in a 1170x1024 composition that looks like this

2yy1hlu.jpg

, and then i import it into the final 1024x1024 comp, squashing it by 80% horizontally, so that i get this

2zrgqcm.jpg

i realize this might sound like a bunch of technobabble to someone who doesn't know after effects :/

Also, i'm using this for the colors, and yes, i'm using bley & dark bley.

lol username

Looking pretty darn good. Just one thing...

and yes, i'm using bley & dark bley.

D:

But hey, I doubt the original textures are entirely accurate to the real pieces either. Color can be a tricky thing.

Nitegeist

If that color list i'm using is correct, all original textures colors are inaccurate :o

Hey i like bley, but i'll be posting the textures for you guys, so if you prefer old grey, just ask!

Thinking abou it, I might also release a version with grey and a version with bley of each skin pack.

I personally use this colour chart when editing colours, it helps because it has both LEGO and Bricklink names.

Those are beautiful HD textures, I look forward to seeing more of them! Although I don't see a need for textures above 512x512 pixels in size, seeing as they are displayed so small in-game.

Those are beautiful HD textures, I look forward to seeing more of them! Although I don't see a need for textures above 512x512 pixels in size, seeing as they are displayed so small in-game.

I do! Ever heard of 1080p Racers? Bigger textures come in handy then. However, pushing it past 1024x1024 is probably overkill.

Nitegeist

Those are beautiful HD textures, I look forward to seeing more of them!

Thanks!

I personally use this colour chart when editing colours, it helps because it has both LEGO and Bricklink names.

nice! really handy, hex codes are faster to work with than RGB values.

I do! Ever heard of 1080p Racers? Bigger textures come in handy then. However, pushing it past 1024x1024 is probably overkill.

yeah i'm also playing at 1080p, hence the 1024x1024 chests and 256x256 faces, they seem to be just about the right sizes.

but for textures with an alpha channel, the bigger the better!

• 2 weeks later...

Friggin' great work! I did something similar, though they were recreations... But these are amazing! Keep up the great work.

Also, I agree, the part in Rocket's hair has always bothered me. That thing is huge!

quick update, i just finished shooting a short film, and now i only have one month for post production, so i'm a bit busy right now. Gonna get back to modding after i'm done with it!

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Batlord's BB_CHST.BMP isn't included with the posted download.
Could you re-upload, or just post it as a separate download?
These are fantastic textures, keep it up!!

i updated the OP. glad you like them.

also i'm sort-of-gone from the site.

i recently came back and i'm sticking around to follow the developments on the custom meshes research. if we can update all models to high poly versions i'd start playing the game again.

i might work some more on HD skins if i'm bored and i have the time.

• 1 year later...
Fluffy Cupcake

I know I downloaded this once, I'll take a look around.

Nope, I no longer have it. In the meantime since the image is still up you can save that, chop it up, and use that for the textures.

*Basil's hat will take a bit more work, because index colouring.

Hi guys, luckily I get email notifications. Give me a couple of hours and I'll upload them again. Unfortunately I'm not really working on them anymore because life and stuff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.