Extreme Lag

noobplayer

noobplayer

After building large HQ, I get huge amounts of lag when hovering over it. After looking into other topics, I've seen something about editing the texture usage to a higher number using a WAD Toll. After even more searches, I can't for the life of me find this wad tool, let alone the cfg file. Whenever someone leaves a link behind, it's a dead link that gives me a error page :rf: .

Either way, can someone explain this whole process to me... kind of new to changing things in this game. 

. After even more searches, I can't for the life of me find this wad tool

Then your life has finished before it begun. How are you searching through the Internet, or even this website which is the main website for editing LRR?

You search for a tool in the tool section and then you instantly see the topic of the WAD tool, what's so extremely hard about that???  D8  D8  D8

I really wonder how you found RockRaidersUnited...

noobplayer

Still lagging after I increased texture usage (at least I think I did)... it's been increased now 1000x more and still lagging  :rf: Is there anything else I can do to try to reduce lag?

Could you possibly tell us your specs? It's possibly a high range computer which isn't playing nice with this old game.

noobplayer

Could you possibly tell us your specs? It's possibly a high range computer which isn't playing nice with this old game.

HP dv7 Notebook PC

6 GB ram installed

AMD triple-Core processor

Radeon Graphics card (I think)

Windows 7, 64 bit

I'm playing the game off the CD if that matters. (heard there was online download, not sure if the two are different at all)

HP dv7 Notebook PC

6 GB ram installed

Windows 7, 64 bit

I'm playing the game off the CD if that matters. (heard there was online download, not sure if the two are different at all)

The "online copy" would be a pirated version, so don't bother with that.

I haven't played with AMD Catalyst before, but is it possible you could open it up and mess around with the configuration for LegoRR.exe? If you can possibly do it, try make LegoRR.exe run off a internal graphics card if you have one, such as an Intel Graphics Card. Otherwise, just keep tweaking things to see if you can't make it run faster.

Also, have you tried any compatibility modes?

Addictgamer

Oh, an ATI card?
You could try setting antialising to "application chooses" or completely disable it. If I recall correctly, that's what I had to do to get rid of extreme lag on one of my laptops.

In any case, mess around with your card's settings in the catalyst control center or whatever they call that.

noobplayer

HP dv7 Notebook PC

6 GB ram installed

Windows 7, 64 bit

The "online copy" would be a pirated version, so don't bother with that.

I haven't played with AMD Catalyst before, but is it possible you could open it up and mess around with the configuration for LegoRR.exe? If you can possibly do it, try make LegoRR.exe run off a internal graphics card if you have one, such as an Intel Graphics Card. Otherwise, just keep tweaking things to see if you can't make it run faster.

Also, have you tried any compatibility modes?

I'm running in windows XP service pack 3 mode

Oh, an ATI card?

You could try setting antialising to "application chooses" or completely disable it. If I recall correctly, that's what I had to do to get rid of extreme lag on one of my laptops.

In any case, mess around with your card's settings in the catalyst control center or whatever they call that.

I have no idea how to get to that stuff, could you explain it... I have very minimum knowledge about computers

Addictgamer

Uh. I'm not sure where your computer has it. Just search for "Catalyst" in the windows start menu. Something similar to "Catalyst Control Center" should appear in the list.

Uh. I'm not sure where your computer has it. Just search for "Catalyst" in the windows start menu. Something similar to "Catalyst Control Center" should appear in the list.

That or it can also be called: AMD VISION Engine Control Centre, but its basically the same thing.

To guide you step by step:

1. Open Catalyst or Vision

2. At the main page, click preferences (top left corner) and click on "Advanced View"

3. Then click on "Gaming" and after that "3D Application Settings" which pops up

4. Now turn as many options as possible to "Application Chooses" or "Disable" (this one might not pop up)

5. Save it

(Optional) 6. Restart your system

Edit: if you do not have Catalyst or Vision, search for the drivers here: http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.1&product=&contentType=Tech+Download+Processor&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

If you are not sure what card you have, download speccy here: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

noobplayer

That or it can also be called: AMD VISION Engine Control Centre, but its basically the same thing.

To guide you step by step:

1. Open Catalyst or Vision

2. At the main page, click preferences (top left corner) and click on "Advanced View"

3. Then click on "Gaming" and after that "3D Application Settings" which pops up

4. Now turn as many options as possible to "Application Chooses" or "Disable" (this one might not pop up)

5. Save it

(Optional) 6. Restart your system

Edit: if you do not have Catalyst or Vision, search for the drivers here: http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.1&product=&contentType=Tech+Download+Processor&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

If you are not sure what card you have, download speccy here: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

I went to the fist sight, couldn't find it, so to be sure downloaded speccy, and is says I have "Generic PnP Monitor on AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250"

which doesn't show up in the list.

Looked under the notebook since I'm pretty darn sure that's what I have.

I went to the fist sight, couldn't find it, so to be sure downloaded speccy, and is says I have "Generic PnP Monitor on AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250"

Do you have anything called CCC in your start menu? It should be there because you have an ATi card.

noobplayer

Do you have anything called CCC in your start menu? It should be there because you have an ATi card.

Looking up CCC, I find something... when I open it it's the control center... however I am unable to find anything after switching to advance view.

The layout has a graphics menue with the following under it:

Welcome

Information Center

Desktops and Displays

Desktop Properties

Display Options

3D

Video

PowerPlay

There is another menue under options... with the following under it.

HotKeys

Profiles

Preferences (whith it's own menue)

Help

under preferences I'll get this:

Always on Top

Hide Tooltips

Hide Splash Screen

Enable System Tray Menu (checked off)

Select a language

Restore factory defaults

noobplayer

I don't think anyone has suggested this yet, but, could you try to run it in windowed mode ( http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/3533-guide-run-rock-raiders-in-windowed-mode/ )

I'm interested in seeing if you still get lag while windowed.

Nope didn't work, after I built a power station and a few electric fences in the level frozen frenzy I began to lag.

• 1 year later...

Same problem here :/

I tried everything (Editing TextureUsage, disabling forced graphic configurations from catalyst control center (I also have an AMD) and trying with all the parameters from CLgen). The problem seems to be related with vehicles and buildings lagging the game.

I've noticed that textured models in this game can cause lag on certain hardware. My custom models without "real" textures don't cause as much lag. You might try downloading some of the high-poly mods and see if they help. I don't think many of them have textures as they have enough detail in the polygons to get away with avoiding textures.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.