What Happens when you run Island Xtreme Stunts in a Virtual Machine

LimeKiller

LimeKiller

So I tried out IXS in an XP virtual machine, and received some very interesting results. The game runs almost perfectly; great frame rate, and all the 3-D is displayed correctly... except the character models. The inhabitants of LEGO Island all have some sort of disease now.

eTgS8Qn.png

5xcSdbD.png

qv5WVLT.png

Tg9GKb7.png

As you can see, the models have no textures, and are either flat minifigs or are missing a torso. It switches between the two. The latter is rather interesting, as the legs are still a 3-D object, and still hop around when the character walks -- it's just that both legs move in the same direction, looking rather silly.

This occurred in Windows XP running in VMware Player on a Windows 7 host. What's REALLY interesting is that I had previously installed this on other virtualization software (VMLite) and got different results still. In THAT VM, all the 3D was correct, even the character models, but none of the text would show up, meaning I had to navigate menus by memory and no subtitles or anything would appear. I'm not sure which version I would consider more playable. For me, I would prefer the no-text version as I already know how to play the game, but for others it might be an issue. I'm not sure what the point of this post is. I don't have a solution to the problem. But I can say,

"Lair, if you would like to play IXS on your computer, this might be the best way to do it, and you can choose for yourself if you'd rather have no text or glitched characters."

"Lair, if you would like to play IXS on your computer, this might be the best way to do it, and you can choose for yourself if you'd rather have no text or glitched characters."

Every try to run IXS in a VM has gotten me "A debugger is running, please close all debuggers." If you know a way around this tell me, or tell me what program you used to emulate it.

lol username

Pepper, or should I say paper...

But seriously.

What the flip.

This is one of the most obscure graphical screw-ups I've ever seen.

• Like 2

hcsg3.gif

That's pretty weird... Particularly the bottom-right guy in the second image. Didn't see him at first.

I've had IXS unopened for a while now, perhaps I'll give it a go on my XP.

LimeKiller

Every try to run IXS in a VM has gotten me "A debugger is running, please close all debuggers."

I'm not sure if this is the same error or not, but in VMware Player, you need to add a few lines to the .vmx file (located in My Documents/Virtual Machines) before it will allow 3-D games. Most 3-D games will provide an error relating to graphics before you do this.

mks.enable3d = TRUE

and

svga.vramSize = 67108864

In VMLite, I didn't have to do this. I just installed it and it worked. VMLite was the one with the no-text/messed up GUI error.

You've discovered some kind of leper colony, obviously.

That's terrifying. Like, that's surrealist nightmare fuel. Wow.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Is it your disk? If it isn't then it shows that many lego games (before 2005) are not capable on recent computers.

Is it your disk? If it isn't then it shows that many lego games (before 2005) are not capable on recent computers.

Im confused.

Anyway, wow. That is just weird. I love the third picture with the Bricksterbots(? havent played the actual game). They look like they are on a clothing rack to dry. :P

It's running on a virtual machine (computer within a computer). These games weren't designed to be run like that. This is just showing people what it looks like when you do run it like this.

LimeKiller

Of course, NOW my game runs fine in my PC

Speaking of that, Lair, how did you get it working?

Speaking of that, Lair, how did you get it working?

I'm not using my original CD.

Yeah. It's one of those games where different releases act completely differently. -.-

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.