LEGO® Racers Exam

RobExplorien

RobExplorien

This is an exam (more of a small test actually) to test your LEGO® Racers knowledge and insight. In this exam, you will be tested on various aspects of the original unmodified* LEGO® Racers game (*unless otherwise stated). The exam will take about fifteen minutes of your time. From the moment you start on the exam, it is prohibited to play LEGO® Racers or search anywhere on the internet, in order to answer a question. Only focus on the exam, you know what I mean. Because I cannot check if you did or didn’t cheat, I completely rely on your honesty by not cheating. Also, simple mathematics may be required for a few questions. When you finished your exam, PM me with the subject LR exam and include your answers in spoiler tags. Then I will examine your answers, and you will receive your results and the official answer sheet.

Exam norms:

If your score is below 22 points, you have not passed the exam.

If your score is above 22 points (including all answer points), you will be awarded the title of Bachelor of LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

If your score is above 22 points (not including bonus points), you will be awarded the title of Master of LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

If your score is above 27 points (not including bonus points), you will be awarded the title of PhD in LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

Are you ready for the exam? To start, click on the spoiler button. From that moment on (until you finish the test), cheating as aforementioned is prohibited!

LEGO® Racers exam

April 2013

Version A

Examinator: RobExplorien

THEORY AND INSIGHT

This exam consists of 28 questions; 15 multiple choice questions, 5 true/false questions, 5 debatable questions and 3 bonus questions. For this exam, a total of 35 points can be earned. The maximum amount of points to earn at a question is shown next to the designated question. At debatable questions, do not answer more than the questions asks from you (i.e. when two things are asked, and you write down three, only the first two will be examined). The use of a simple calculator is approved. Click on the spoiler button below, to start on the questions.

Multiple choice questions:

1. When you start LEGO® Racers for the first time (meaning that you have empty saves), which character will show up at the main menu? (+1)

A) King Kahuka

B) Captain Redbeard

C) Baron von Barron

D) Rocket Racer

2. Which of the following LEGO® Space themes makes an appearance in the game? (+1)

A) Spyrius

B) Space Police

C) Mars Mission

D) Blacktron

3. What is King Kahuka’s favorite power-up? (+1)

A) Shield type power-ups

B) Projectile type power-ups

C) Turbo Boost type power-ups 

D) Hazard type power-ups

4. Which track (of the four listed below) was supposed to have a shortcut, but was cut before the final release? (+1)

A) Royal Knights Raceway

B) Magma Moon Marathon

C) Ice Planet Pathway

D) Knightmare-Athon

5. Which LEGO® theme (of the four listed below) does Rob-‘n-Hood represent the most? (+1)

A) Wolfpack

B) Royal Knights

C) Dark Forest

D) Crusaders

6. Who shares the same car design as Islander? (+1)

A) Governor Broadside

B) Alpha Dragonis

C) Black Knight

D) Achu

7. Which of these track has the fewest green power-ups? (+1)

A) Amazon Adventure Alley

B) Tribal Island Trail

C) Adventure Temple Trail

D) Rocket Racer Run

8. Let’s say you are racing with 37 studs per second. The beta speedometer converts that velocity to this display:

JJP9RM0.png

What would one brick on the speedometer represent? (+1)

A) An increase in speed of about 6 studs per second

B) An increase in speed of about 3 studs per second

C) An increase in speed of about 10 studs per second

D) An increase in speed of about 8 studs per second

9. You used a turbo, and accelerated from your former velocity of 37 studs per second to a greater velocity of 58 studs per second, all in 2,3 seconds. What was your acceleration in studs per second squared? (+1)

A) About 6 studs

B) About 15 studs

C) About 9 studs

D) About 12 studs

10. Which of the following tracks have two official shortcuts? (+1)

A) Dark Forest Dash

B) Desert Adventure Dragway

C) Test Track

D) Pirate Skull Pass

11. What’s the name of the power-up type when combining one red brick with one white brick? (+1)

A) Grappling Hook

B) Cannonball

C) Lightning Wand

D) Barrel of Gunpowder

12. How many yellow power-up bricks can be found on the Test Track? (+1)

A) One

B) None

C) Two

D) Four

13. On which part of the Alien Rally Asteroïd track does a UFO fly (see map below)? (+1)

mTfPxnl.png

A) On the green part

B) On the red part

C) On the blue part

D) On none of the coloured parts.

14. What are the odds of taking the correct combination of gates to open the Android Base shortcut on Magma Moon Marathon, without knowing this combination in advance? (+1)

A) 1 out of 2

B) 1 out of 10

C) 1 out of 4

D) 1 out of 8

15. Which of the following themes to use bricks from for the building of your car is available at the start of the game? (+1)

A) Adventurers

B) Exploriens

C) Pirates

D) Islanders

True/False questions:

16. Nova Hunter’s car uses red bricks. (+1)

17. The main menu background is blue tinted. (+1)

18. The publisher of the game LEGO® Racers is LEGO Software. (+1)

19. These hieroglyphs only appear on Desert Adventure Dragway: (+1)

TFejCBg.png

20. Veronica Voltage's car is unlockable. (+1)

Debatable questions:

21. Which two Space themes are combined on Alien Rally Asteroïd? (+2)

22. Name two characters from the Egypt subtheme (from the Adventurers theme), who appear as opponents in the game. (+2)

23. Name a set featured on the Ice Planet Pathway track. (+2)

24. Name a creature (non-character) appearing on the Knightmare-Athon track. (+1)

25. You are racing with Basil the Batlord on Adventure Temple Trail. You completed the first lap on Adventure Temple Trail in 48 seconds. Take it that you had an average speed of 40 studs per second during that lap. Basil arrived 5 seconds later (i.e. crossing the finish line). What is Basil’s average speed in his first lap in studs per second (taking that there was no interference between you and him during the race)? Show equation and round the answer to an integer. (+3)

Bonus questions:

Bonus questions are an extra to score points with. These questions will discuss information obtained from modifying LEGO® Racers.

26. Name two (major) modding tools for this game and their creators. (+2)

27. Which file type does not appear inside the LEGO.JAM by default? (+1)

A) .RRB

B) .TRF

C) .SKB

D) .LRS

28. Which version of LEGO® Racers allows for easier modding and why? (+2)

A) 1999 version, because…

B) 2001 version, because…

C) No difference between the two versions, because…

End of exam.

Members who have succesfully finished the LEGO® Racers exam so far:

- JimbobJeffers, with a PhD in LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

- BobaFett2, with a PhD in LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

- Modded Lego, with a Bachelor of LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

- aidenpons, with a Master of LEGO® Racers theory and insight!

RobExplorien

There's an error on question 5:

The correct answer would be

Dark Forest, but it's not one of the choices. Robin Hood was the leader of the original Forestmen, and as far as I know Wolfpack never had any named members (it hardly had any members to begin with).

My explanation:

I had my doubts whether to choose Forestmen or Dark Forest, for they both are much alike and carry the same coat of arms. The latter can be seen as a revival of the former, so my initial thought went to the Forestmen. Though Rob-'n-Hood is indeed from the Dark Forest subtheme, I figured that Dark Forest would hint too much. Besides, Dark Forest being a revival does mean that Rob-'n-Hood represents the Forestmen in some kind of way.

EDIT: To clarify in one sentence: Question 5 does not ask to which subtheme Rob-'n-Hood belongs, it asks which of the subthemes listed he represents. I'll edit the question just a bit.

RobExplorien

5 is impossible, and 4 has another answer that is not listed. That's as far as I went, because of #5.

For question 5, read what I said to Jamesster. For question 4:

The question does not ask which tracks had their shortcuts cut, the question asks which of the four tracks listed below originally had a shortcut that was cut later on. It would be confusing to list two correct answers in a multiple choice question. Ofcourse I could have gone for the unlisted answer you mention as well, and leave Knightmare-Athon behind.

And why stop in the middle of an exam, when the listed choices do not seem to match your answer. If I were taking such an exam, I would pick the choice most likely to be the answer, and move on to score more points on the rest of the exam.

And why stop in the middle of an exam, when the listed choices do not seem to match your answer.

Because I don't know what else may be a trick question.

If I were taking such an exam, I would pick the choice most likely to be the answer

None of those are most likely to be the answer.

RobExplorien

And why stop in the middle of an exam, when the listed choices do not seem to match your answer.

Because I don't know what else may be a trick question.

>>If I were taking such an exam, I would pick the choice most likely to be the answer

None of those are most likely to be the answer.

Okay, I'll take this feedback into acount whenever I would (even think of) make a next exam/test. I changed question 5 a bit in order to prevent further 'complaints', I should not incite confusion in an exam. Anyway, thanks for trying (you too jamesster). nzROYiv.png

Modded Lego

I Completed the exam without any errors! Great Exam! Too bad school didn't give us exams on video games that we might have played. Because then we could choose which game to be tested on and it would be based on common knowledge. Then to get the answers in school we could play that game to see if we got it right. That would be so cool!!! :af:

• Like 1

I could take this exam, or I could just read all the spoilers on this topic. /cheater ;P

Nah, I'll take it soon, hopefully tomorrow. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in no way qualified to even look at that exam, let alone attempt answering it.

I did scan over it anyways, though, and although my experience on the LR scene is a little...ghostly...it seems to me like some of the questions are arbitrary/opinionated? How'd you field all the answers?

RobExplorien

I'm in no way qualified to even look at that exam, let alone attempt answering it.

I did scan over it anyways, though, and although my experience on the LR scene is a little...ghostly...it seems to me like some of the questions are arbitrary/opinionated? How'd you field all the answers?

Field the answers? That's a new expression to me, but I think I understand what you mean. The questions you're talking about probably concern the debatable and bonus questions? I especially put less of those questions in the exam than multiple choice and true/false questions, to avoid the arguing about whether an answer can be considered right or wrong. If an answer contains the necessary explanation (to answer the question) and contains the correct answer, it will receive the max. points for that answer. If an answer contains half of the explanation necessary to answer the question, it will receive less points. Or if all the necessary explanation is given, but the answer is incorrect, it will also receive less points.

If you like I can PM you the answer sheet I wrote for checking these answers. It might explain (what I just said) a bit more, because you can check for yourself how to receive max. points on a question in this exam.

It's alright, I might eventually want to brave the gauntlet and give it a try.

I was just wondering for some of the multiple choice, though. For example, one of them said that some King guy had a favourite powerup? Is that an actual coded thing in the game?

LimeKiller

It is, actually. The AI path files are made so that certain characters drive into certain powerups. Probably the most commonly known example is Redbeard; he has an affinity for cannonballs.

Heh... maybe I should step back and let the expert explain this. Sorry.

RobExplorien

It is, actually. The AI path files are made so that certain characters drive into certain powerups. Probably the most commonly known example is Redbeard; he has an affinity for cannonballs.

Heh... maybe I should step back and let the expert explain this. Sorry.

I agree, but that already sounds like we're talking about information acquired by modding, though this exam is about the vanilla game unless otherwise stated (especially the bonus questions). And it appears that people understand the question (I assume you're talking about question 3), so I left it like that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.