1:16 scale LMS Explorer

Arthuriel

[NEWS] (2013-Oct-07): I uploaded ROV-Ray pictures of the 1.2 version (less pieces, more stability and non-modular) and replaced the old pictures with them, but you can watch all my uploaded pictures in my RRU gallery.

[NEWS] (2013-08-17): In post no. 17 I've posted something about my revised 1:16 model.

What contains 1338 1178 pieces and looks like the LMS Explorer? If you guessed something but the 1:16 LMS Explorer, you we're wrong.

I thought a long time about the idea of an even smaller version of the LMS Explorer, because more people would be able to recreate it at home due to the lower piece count.

It was a bit difficult to integrate some details (this version has its flaws) and the 1:16 version doesn't look near as good as the 1:8 version, but I hope, that you still enjoy it.

large.1_16_LMS_Explorer_ver_1.2.png.a9c8

Older Render Pictures:

Spoiler

gallery_1586_210_31745.pnggallery_1586_210_183732.pnggallery_1586_210_79838.pnggallery_1586_210_252324.png

I'm also developing even smaller versions (~1:104 and ~1:166) ;):

gallery_1586_210_2965.png

Thank you, folks :).

@Alcom: I've send you the file. Maybe I should use POV-Ray, too (I've probably somewhere a render of my 1:8 version), but somehow the exported ldr- files make problems (missing bricks and bricks with the wrong direction).

Thank you, folks :).

@Alcom: I've send you the file. Maybe I should use POV-Ray, too (I've probably somewhere a render of my 1:8 version), but somehow the exported ldr- files make problems (missing bricks and bricks with the wrong direction).

Exported ldr files? I don't dare use such a thing. Incidentally, I have the render running right n-

Just realized I had to restart it and render it differently (no loss in quality) due to the presence of transparent bricks. This may take a while.

Thank you :). Maybe I will use it soon. (Somehow POV-Ray can't use the file, that I've created with the converter. Maybe I should read the FAQ and use a newer version of POV-Ray, because I still have 3.6).

That is the version I still have because, last I checked, 3.7 is STILL in beta.

Edit:  There was an update, but I did not see it.  (3.6.0 to 3.6.2)

And Alcom, how long was the longest render you made was and what was it in terms of effects used?

And Alcom, how long was the longest render you made was and what was it in terms of effects used?

This, which took four days between three separate renders. A transparancy removed max quaility with bevels render, a complete almost max quality without bevels render, and a basic monochrome render to layer the other two layers together. Max settings with transparency takes so long that three separate renders, with the transparency in a lower quaility goes faster, and looks just as good.

However, it was on my old PC, which rendered 55% slower than my current PC.

EDIT:

RRU, I bring to you... THE RESULTS OF TEAMWORK:

lms_explorer.pnglms_explorer_in_space.png

• Like 2

I have a source that on my weak little laptop (~1.7Ghz Celeron M) would take more than two weeks to run.  Also, you can do better than that if you take some time to screw with the default "setting."

@Alcom:

Wow, that looks cool :). (aargh, too much awesomeness)

But I have noticed a mistake in my model O_O: the front part is one plate too high, because I've placed one brick wrong. Don't worry: I've corrected the flaw after changing some bricks (now I've have to update all the pictures :( ).

gallery_1586_210_79220.jpg

The real killer for time is those bevels and stud markings.  They took a 5000 element render and turned it into a 38000 element render in the one I just did.  I like the LDraw system better because I can turn studs off entirely, which is what I did for that cave scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow how did I miss this? It's really good. Like, every version of the Explorer you make is magnificent, I think - whether the sheer size and detail, or miniscule size and...detail.

I don't know why I didn't comment on this the first time I read it. It's amazing, and something I'd definitely purchase over your original 1:8 scale. Your attention to detail is great!

The modularity is brilliant too. I can imagine a fleet of sorts, lots of smaller ships guiding the mothership that is the LMS Explorer.

This, which took four days between three separate renders. A transparancy removed max quaility with bevels render, a complete almost max quality without bevels render, and a basic monochrome render to layer the other two layers together. Max settings with transparency takes so long that three separate renders, with the transparency in a lower quaility goes faster, and looks just as good.

However, it was on my old PC, which rendered 55% slower than my current PC.

EDIT:

RRU, I bring to you... THE RESULTS OF TEAMWORK:

lms_explorer.pnglms_explorer_in_space.png

I noticed that the greens here are darker than the original trans-neon green colour in the LDD model, and that the same occurred to my own render. Did you use the custom colours option during conversion, because if so I wonder if this is causing it? 

Alcom Isst

I noticed that the greens here are darker than the original trans-neon green colour in the LDD model, and that the same occurred to my own render. Did you use the custom colours option during conversion, because if so I wonder if this is causing it? 

I had the transparent bricks rendered separately on a lower setting to save TIME! No Media, Radiosity, or Subsurface Light Transport, whatever that means.

Arthuriel

Wow, so many compliments. Looks like I have done something awesome (again) :).

For some variety I will show you something bad next time... ...just kidding.

PS:  31 supporters on cuusoo. I wonder, how many votes it will get and if TLC will take it down or not.

edit:

The "LDD-->LeoCAD-->LDView-->POV-Ray" chain is annoying (depends on the amount off ill-placed bricks between the LDD and LeoCAD step), but the render time is really really short (this picture below took like 45 seconds):

gallery_1586_210_1176850.png

• 3 months later...

Today and yesterday I revisited my 1:16 model and looked for mistakes and areas, which needed some work.

Well, I've found some and here is a short list of what I've basicly done:

version 1.1:

-replaced some (small) pieces with (bigger) ones to reduce the piece count and to optimize the stability

-Solved construction errors in some areas, where the bricks didn't even have contact to the rest of the ship. In the end I deleted a few details, because I couldn't have details and stability at once. Therefore I choose stability, because that's more important (if someone wants to build a real life version of it).

-the bottom of the ship is now flat. In my opinion it looks better and you can put the ship on a flat surface without wobbles, because of overhanging pieces.

version 1.2:

-got rid of the modularity. It's maybe disappointing, but on the other side you needed many small pieces, which wasn't good for stability either.

-replaced some (smaller) bricks with (bigger) bricks to optimize the stability

result: a reduced piece count (from 1338 to 1188). More stability. Solving some construction errors. Deleted a few details, because it caused an instable construction. Better bottomside (flat and more stable).

Here are two pictures of the new version (1.2):

gallery_1586_210_193193.jpg

gallery_1586_210_160115.jpg

• Like 3

Nice redesign, I actually can't see that much difference between the old and new models (in a good way).

When I become rich and famous I will be buying the parts for this model  :P

• 1 month later...

When I become rich and famous I will be buying the parts for this model :P

What he said. :P

Could you add a couple of transparent purple 1x1x1 cylinders for the thrusters?

Also, I think I remeber the thrusters being vertically closer when they're being sucked into the wormhole... I think...

You don't need ONE BILLION DOLLAR a ton of money to buy this model, but I guess, that you would still need like 100 -150 USD to buy all the bricks on bricklink (if they are available).

btw: I uploaded better pictures of the 1.2 version in the first post.

about modifications: I would have done this (more details), but it was almost impossible to design a ship, which would also be stable in reality and still have enough details (I wanted to create something, which could easily be build in real life and doesn't fall apart).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.