LEGO RTS Game, Anybody Interested?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Would it be helpful to create models in LDD to export to LeoCAD?

While it may be technically possible to port LDD and LDraw-based models to Spring, in practice it's not a good idea - you'd spend so much time optimizing the geometry and re-doing things to lower the polygon count that in the end it's far easier just making the models from scratch. They can be useful for referencing basic dimensions of pieces you don't own in real life, but even then, it can be a hassle, as I've found LDraw bricks to be quite hit-or-miss in the accuracy department.

You're using sets from old themes, right? Do you want them to be updated or modified or in their original form?

To an extent. It varies on a set-by-set basis, and I'm still working out the details.

BobaFett2

BobaFett2

Game Design Student

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

I had a thought...

Why not try to make a Rock-Raiders type game (albeit expanded, with better quality models and better vehicles/buildings?

le717

I had a thought...

Why not try to make a Rock-Raiders type game (albeit expanded, with better quality models and better vehicles/buildings?

Ahem... Open Rock Raiders

Addictgamer

I had a thought...

Because RR is not in the style of TA, C&C, etc?
Personally, I sometimes want to play a different take on the game.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
Meh, I was gonna wait on posting anything until I had something prettier to look at, but the last few weeks have been pretty hectic. So I'm just gonna plop this here and get back to you when I've got the final details worked out. A basic minifigure model to base other units on - 546 tris, with 560 verts counting UV and edge splits and the like. This is just the model in UpSpring, in-game everything has nice reflective shading and such.

spring_minifigure.png

To-do:
  • Right now, the team color bleeds over to the top of the head very slightly at low mipmap levels, I'll be tweaking the UV map a bit so that doesn't happen.
  • Make a proper texture that has leg holes, as a template for future textures for actual units.
  • Change the back part of the arms slightly, minifigure arms do actually have that shape to them but not as severe as the model shows.
  • Re-do the hands?
  • Get the animation working.
I might add that while it is somewhat noticeably low-poly when viewed up close like this, when viewed from the perspective of a typical RTS camera it looks great. I also had a Skype chat with a guy from the Spring forums, he gave lots of really helpful info and examples to learn from.

Oh, this is actually my second shot at the basic minifigure model. I finished the first one, but wasn't happy with the results, so I just trashed it and started over with some different ideas. Came out a lot better this time.

Ben24x7

Ben24x7

Gold Vampire (not exactly)

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Soo... We are playing with a 2x2 brick, 1x1 round plate (otherwise known as a stud) and a 1x3 plate? I don't know...

BobaFett2

BobaFett2

Game Design Student

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

The stud on the head appears to be inaccurate, at least from the front picture. If you don't have time for animations, I could make a few in Blender.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Soo... We are playing with a 2x2 brick, 1x1 round plate (otherwise known as a stud) and a 1x3 plate? I don't know...

Oh, yes, most certainly! The entire game will feature many varieties of 2x2 bricks, 1x1 round plates, and 1x3 plates, in all colors and configurations! In fact, I've been considering naming this game "2x2 Bricks and 1x1 Round Plates and 1x3 Plates: The Video Game"! Forget the theme mish-mashing and minifigures and mechs and mounted warriors, prototype test units is where it's at, people! :D

... ahahahano.

The stud on the head appears to be inaccurate, at least from the front picture. If you don't have time for animations, I could make a few in Blender.

Nope, it's spot-on. Normal LEGO studs are 1.8 mm high, but oddly, the studs on top of minifigure heads are 2 mm high - also the height of the bottom tube on a 1x1 round brick/plate/cone, if you want to test it for yourself in real life. But it gets stranger - the minifigure head stud in LEGO Digital Designer is about 1.6 mm high, 0.2 mm shorter than real studs, when it should be 0.2 mm higher.

And... that's not how animation in Spring works. Read through the links I posted.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
Just to let you guys know, I'm focusing on my LEGO RPG project entirely from now to Brick Fiesta (in early July), so don't expect any updates in regards to this project until sometime after then.