Strange Behaviour... The Story of Angel and Tony.

Jimbob

I've been casually building my own LOCO village, but discovered these two characters (whom I named Angel and Tony - I guess not your average name, but few people in the village do have normal names), who continuously strive to be with each other at exactly the same spot, disrupting traffic. It's rather odd behaviour so I thought I'd share it with the community - maybe someone can explain it?

I've put all the images in spoilers as there are quite a lot:

Firstly, here is Tony.

And here is Angel.

By taking the train, or walking, they eventually meet up on this one north-west crossroad. They just stand there, and as you can see, hold up traffic.

Here they are again, later on. This time they're disrupting the public services too.

Every time this happens, I pick them up and stick them far away from each other, choosing different spots each time.

But, by various means, they find there way back to each other again. Generally they sit at a station waiting for a train, and don't leave at any station but the top one.

Here they are getting off at the station. As you can see, they're always happy.

Here they've met up from the previous shot.

I split them up, but they find each other again.

And again... If one arrives first, they will just wait for the other to arrive too.

Can anyone explain this behaviour? It was funny at first, but after it's happened two dozen times - literally - it's getting a little annoying.

The reason for all the eggs and such is it's April Fools day, so the game is holiday-themed. However, this isn't an April Fools joke, these two minifigures are seriously constantly finding each other.

• Like 2

The Ace Railgun

And then one of them gets run over by a train... Yeah I can see where this is going...

• Like 2

And then one of them gets run over by a train... Yeah I can see where this is going...

...? I wasn't planning on getting a story. And trains can't go through roads while a figure is on it. I am genuinely am interested in why this occurs :/

I don't know why it occurs so all you're getting from me is a story. All the people have their own places they like to go (I have no clue how the game determines it) and some of them are weird, like that, or a railroad crossing, or just a piece of sidewalk. The only consistent ones   I can think of are policemen going to a police station (usually), station masters going to some sort of station, telephone booth, or sunflower, and farmers going to fields (again, usually).

I don't know why it occurs so all you're getting from me is a story. All the people have their own places they like to go (I have no clue how the game determines it) and some of them are weird, like that, or a railroad crossing, or just a piece of sidewalk. The only consistent ones   I can think of are policemen going to a police station (usually), station masters going to some sort of station, telephone booth, or sunflower, and farmers going to fields (again, usually).

Yep, I have a whole crowd of officers sitting by my police station, but I hadn't known about the telephone booths. I know it's something to do with this, it's just bizarre that Tony the mechanic didn't sit around the crossroads at first, it was only later when Angel arrived that they started meeting up. I'll probably go with the love story explanation ;)

Here's what you do:

1: Put both of them in one of those cow fields at the top. Then they will be together and stop being a public menence

2: Put a new cow field (I'm tired, and that is the best word I can use to describe that right now) on the other end of town, put Tony in one and Angel in the other. Then they will never reunite (unless they magically escape while LOCO is not running), and that is the end of this love story.

Wow, tired and cruel to a video game I am tonight. I need to get some sleep. :P

2: Put a new cow field (I'm tired, and that is the best word I can use to describe that right now) on the other end of town, put Tony in one and Angel in the other. Then they will never reunite (unless they magically escape while LOCO is not running), and that is the end of this love story.

Tony_Ya.jpg

hADC53515.png

• 2 weeks later...
Tauka Usanake

As the only (if not one of the few on RRU) that has played LEGO Loco enough as a kid and remembers everything still, They are both most likely trying to get the the gas tank to the above-left of that crosswalk.

And failing.

"Tony" minifigs have certain locations they like to head to. The gas station is a main location and you can find four of them at one normally. They also sometimes go to the spaceship pad and gas tank.

"Angel" is one I'm not too familar with but I believe she is also trying to get the the gas tank, being that she looks like a contruction worker of sorts. I do believe they would also head to a factory if possible. Maybe even the solar station but I don't know.

You can actually check out the game files for information like this. Although where minifigs like to get their "jobs" (term used in game files) is hard to tell, you do have a limit on buildings that say how many can work at it. I'll take a look at the files again to see what I can find.

EDIT: Okay, I got it. Takes a lot of searching but you CAN find out who works where, and maybe even edit it. Using the mechanic as an example, "Tony" in this case. Also credit goes to LUModder for giving me the idea of using Resource Hacker on Loco exe.

Under the "String Table" there are groups of different strings contained. All of them have numbers assigned to them. This was found out years before but I noticed that the buildings have a "PossibleEmployees" variable in their .dat files if you use the LOCORFTOOL on the game. In the string table, value 451 there is a list that includes the line '7202, "peoplemechanicmechanic"'. In the "ResourcebuildingPetrl-st.dat" (the gas station) file from the RFTool, you have a PossibleEmployees equal to "7202 -1 -1 -1 -1". Also from the RFTool the "peoplemechanicmechanic.dat" files matches the line from the RFTool. This is basically how the game reads this data.

Hmmm. You know, if we could edit this data in the exe through resource hacking, we might be able to mod the game a bit more. Now if only we could fix those broken bitmaps. Maybe those can also be found in the exe.

EDIT EDIT: Further proof. Under the launcher.dat, what I'm thinking is the spaceship pad, There is a PossibleEmployees  of "7202 7202 7218 7198 7198". I can guess the -1s from the gas station are just sloppy nulls. I do not recall the other two workers are but it seems that the 7198 is a "manager2" while 7218 is a "tdriver1".

That's enough file searching for me today.

Thanks for doing all that research, Tauka :)

As to your first comment, they always arrive at the upper train station and at the T-junction where they could turn either right to the gas station, or left to the cross-road, they always head left. So if it is that maybe there's game code with the crossroad that bugs them?

That would explain why they walk across the road, then back up and sit in the middle. I might replicate this map in a new save and see if I get the same effect.

As to your looking through the files, I'm not quite following. I take it you're proving that 'Angel' and 'Tony''s character types go to the gas station?

I don't have LOCO, so I don't know how much help I can be here... but I would say try moving the crossroad right one or two squares (If you can do that, I'm not entirely sure how this game works) just to see what happens. It would remove the T-intersection of sidewalk, if that has any effect.

Tauka Usanake

As to your looking through the files, I'm not quite following. I take it you're proving that 'Angel' and 'Tony''s character types go to the gas station?

I'm saying that "Tony" as the mechanic type minifig goes to the gas tank as a job of sorts, as well as the space shuttle and petrol gas station. He just hangs around them but he might also service it. I think about the bank because it closes down sometimes. Maybe if someone was "working" at it then it would stay open.

• 1 year later...

Your embedded pictures are broken, Jimbob. ;)

So if it is that maybe there's game code with the crossroad that bugs them?

What if Tony and Angel are secretly Rock Raiders and their AI path finding is broken? :af:

Your embedded pictures are broken, Jimbob. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it now.

What if Tony and Angel are secretly Rock Raiders and their AI path finding is broken?  :af:

Can't be. They'd always be diving into the volcano if they were. ;)

Can't be. They'd always be diving into the volcano if they were. ;)

Actually, mine haven't crossed lava for a fair bit. (A fair bit l405G.jpg) Plus, they don't actively go to the volcano. unless there's crystals there.

I've spotted you've talked about them wanting to get something - it's probably a crystal in disguise. l405G.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.