LEGO Racers map revamp

RobExplorien

RobExplorien

LEGO Racers map revamping

This topic actually turned into a whole map retexturing project. I'm going to retexture all track maps (which are shown in the lower right corner in-race). For now, some has been done already on this personal project, but most still has to be retextured. As soon as I have all tracks revamped, I will upload the small texture mod and make it PatchIt compatible (which makes it better than having to add each .bmp to its designated track map manually).

Old releases:

Map revamp v1.0

• Fixing cut-off track.

Map revamp v2.0

• Added shortcuts on map.
  • Coloured track parts
  • Bonus feature.

Current release:

Map revamp v2.0.1

• Minor pixel edit on three maps
  • Updated download link (fixing manual installing issue)

Fixing cut-off track (v1.0):

It has annoyed me since I first noticed it, and never thought of fixing this, until now. The maps of three tracks appear cut-off at a certain spot. Now you might think: "Why are you making such a big deal out of this!?". I'm kind of a perfectionist. It may not contribute at all, but it is just something that I thought had to be fixed. Thanks to the ripped textures, that made me able to adjust the maps. The adjustments may not be very noticeable, but it looks better compared to the old map in my opinion. To spare you the editing of the maps, I've added the edited files in a .zip and can be downloaded here:

Map revamp v1.0

When extracting the .zip, you'll find three maps, each containing one adjusted map. Copy (or cut) each IGD_MAP.bmp to the corresponding RACEC*R* file in the .JAM archive, then recompile and add the .JAM to wherever it has to go in order to play LEGO Racers with the adjusted maps.

Images of the adjusted maps; left is old, right is new.

Tribal Island Trail (fixed cut-off track), Amazon Adventure Alley (fixed cut-off track) and Rocket Racer Run (fixed cut-off track).

oleSZun.png

New features on maps (v2.0):

It's here, all new in colour! This map revamp mod includes retextured maps for all tracks. This mainly includes colouring the map to match with the track colour, but shortcuts are added as well. Don't forget the bonus feature, and I think that some already know what it is. It was fun to make, but it is more important to me that you enjoy the new maps. Feedback is appreciated, as it may help me improve the maps even more. Even I still doubt if some tracks look finished or good, but for the time being, enjoy this release. I've added an image to give you a preview of the map revamp mod, picturing Rocket Racer Run and Dark Forest Dash.

mQ0TIQr.png

This version is outdated, and is merged with v2.0.1, so download link to the map revamp mod can be found under that section. 

Issue fix (v2.0.1):

Not much difference compared to v2.0. le717 informed me about an issue where the fast install with PatchIt! of the map revamp mod wasn't working correctly, and he had to install all separate .BMP files manually. I fixed that, and it should work now on the easy installing way. Also, I did minor pixel edits on a few tracks. Barely noticeable, but merely serving for the detail.

In order to play with the map revamp mod, you have to download the file below and install it into your LEGO.JAM. It is PatchIt! v.1.0.3 compatible as well, but manually installing it or using PatchIt! is up to you.

Link to the file for the map revamp mod:

Map revamp v2.0.1

PatchIt-Compatible.png

Extra map:

Although it isn't really part of modding LR textures, the following map is based on the same design as the LR maps. I'm giving you a new perspective on the LEGO Island racetrack, a bird's eye view. Does it look familiar? It may not be as accurate as the LR track maps, but it's something. I coloured most track parts to match the track design even more, but the rolling pizzas, the skeleton and other moving objects are left out, because they aren't solid track textures.

1s6dIHy.png?1

Good job! The shortcuts are very exact (even the ones that don't exist anymore :P). 

I like the RR map because it shows where the track is colored in what way.

Ooh yes, I do like the new ones. Although I don't know if including non-existing shortcuts is necessary, but I do like the coloured elements - perhaps you could also colour the edges to be darker versions of the main track?

In case you didn't know (and because I can't tell just by looking), if you moved/scaled the images in any way, the player positions on the minimaps won't be accurate.

RobExplorien

In case you didn't know (and because I can't tell just by looking), if you moved/scaled the images in any way, the player positions on the minimaps won't be accurate.

I took that into account. I only moved a few (three or so) tracks 1 pixel, to have the edges in-screen, and it did not really affect the accuracy.

Ah, okay. Well, if you want to take it all the way, it would be epic if these included power-up locations :D Although I don't know how easy that would be on such a small resolution image.

RobExplorien

Ah, okay. Well, if you want to take it all the way, it would be epic if these included power-up locations :D Although I don't know how easy that would be on such a small resolution image.

You know, I was thinking about the same thing, although it is somewhat impractical. The size of a power-up on the map would be about 1 pixel, or 2x2 at max. This pixel would barely be noticeable on the map, and you tend to focus more on the race for power-ups than on the map. A bigger map is not an option now, for I do not know how to modify vehicle positions for that bigger map (e.g. enlarging the path, or moving it to other parts of the screen).

You know, I was thinking about the same thing, although it is somewhat impractical. The size of a power-up on the map would be about 1 pixel, or 2x2 at max. This pixel would barely be noticeable on the map, and you tend to focus more on the race for power-ups than on the map. A bigger map is not an option now, for I do not know how to modify vehicle positions for that bigger map (e.g. enlarging the path, or moving it to other parts of the screen).

I wouldn't try to enlarge the map either, as it'd be too large for an effective racing HUD. I just did a quick test and, as you said, the pixels are pretty much invisible...

I was just trying to think of a way to make the maps even more useful :)

RobExplorien

Added map of the LEGO Island racetrack. Though not really part of modding LR, I thought it'd fit here.

RobExplorien

Does the adjusted map look better than the default one? The shortcut and track textures (as in, their notable colours) are added, but I personally think it's a bit too much with all the colours. If it does look good to you, I might continue working on the other maps. If you got suggestions for improvement, I'd be glad to hear them.

UZD1bJ2.png

Does the adjusted map look better than the default one? The shortcut and track textures (as in, their notable colours) are added, but I personally think it's a bit too much with all the colours. If it does look good to you, I might continue working on the other maps. If you got suggestions for improvement, I'd be glad to hear them.

UZD1bJ2.png

I think the colours are good, but they need to be edged too. By that I mean that, as you can see from the main tracks, the edges are just darker versions of the central colour to create a defining outline. So the grey edges around the blue track, for instance, should be darker blues instead. If that makes sense :)

Additionally, I prefer the original white-ish main track colour. It's clearer, and would make the coloured elements you've added stand out better.

I have to agree with Jimbob. I do like the colors, but something looks.... off. He pretty much nailed it.

LEGO Racers map revamp 2.0 is released. Check the topic for more information on it.

Y u make me turn off pop-up blocker to download from FileDropper, Rob? ;P

Oh good. It's now on RRU Bucket. Happy day! :D

• 3 weeks later...
RobExplorien

le717 informed me about an issue were installing the maps had to be done manually. It's fixed now, and easy fast installing via PatchIt! should work now. The new link can be found in the topic post under v2.0.1.

• 1 month later...

Who is they?

The map that comes up on your race car in LEGO Island. It fits in a square. 

No map shows up on your race car in LI, only a progress bar, which is rectangle IIRC.

RobExplorien

The Beta speedometer bonus is not included in the 2.0.1 update. All it contains is a GAMEDATA folder for each track, and IDG_MAP.BMP in each folder.

I never said it was included in v2.0.1, or did I? :P

But you're right, after I cut out most files from the .zip, I probably forgot about that image. It's still in the old .zip of this mod (found in the RRU upload list), but I'd better reupload it then in a 'clean' .zip.

Click on the grey bar above that progress bar.

Huh. I never knew that did anything, never went as far as actually clicking it though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.