LEGO Rock Raiders on Surface Pro/Windows 8

Delibird444

Delibird444

I followed the steps in this thread to get Rock Raiders running on my Surface Pro. The game works fine after

-Installing DirectX 6 from the disc image

-Copying D3DRM.dll to system32 (if necessary, it was for me)

-Setting up compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3

-Checking the box for "Reduced color mode 16-bit" in properties

-Running the program as an administrator and launching the .exe directly

-Launching in windowed mode

No stuttering, no lag, no glitches. 

However, I was wondering if anyone had a fix that would allow me to run the game in full-screen with no issues? No Windows 8 PC I've used has been able to run LRR in full-screen without issues, but I haven't exactly fooled around with it enough to find a fix myself. I know that to run a full-screen app on the Surface Pro correctly, you have to check "Disable DPI scaling" in the properties for the program (quick explanation: the Surface Pro is 1080p, but normally that would be hard to see on its tiny tiny screen, so the OS by default blows up everything by 150% to compensate, causing issues with some full-screen programs. You can disable this for any one program from the compatibility screen, without having to disable it for everything.)

Anyone have any ideas on how to get full-screen mode running up to par on Windows 8, without the stuttering and FPS issues?

I do not own LRR, so I can't really help you here (although I also run Windows 8), but Cafeteria might be able to help. It's a new tool Cyrem is writing to enable custom resolutions, and unless he or someone else corrects me saying otherwise, it may help getting LRR in fullscreen mode on Win8 (and at possibly 1080p).

• 3 weeks later...

Downgrade to Windows 7.

But seriously, no idea. I don't use nor plan on using Windows 8, and as far as I know it kills a lot of old games.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried making it run in full-screen on windows 8, but with no luck. Honestly I would rather have it run in windowed mode, but Cafeteria only works in full-screen and I would like to try it.

This was the best I could get out of googling: Worms Armageddon, Age of Kings Heaven.

I have tested a lot of the Compatibility Fixes described here, but most either doesn't affect anything, or breaks the graphics even further. The "8And16BitDXMaxWinMode" fix sounded promising, however it had no affect for me. "DXMaximizedWindowedMode" was the same. The list however is rather long, so you might want to look through it and try some of them, you might have more luck with it than I did.

• 4 months later...

I'm also on a Surface pro and though the game runs perfectly in windowed mode, the bottom of the screen is cut off so that I just barely can't see the numbers of energy crystals and ore that I have... does that happen to you delibird?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.