Suggestions for a hypothetical new Rock Raiders line.

Pranciblad

So, I know you've probably seen topics like this one several million times, but I didn't feel like digging one of them out of its grave, so I made a new one. If there was a new line of rock raiders sets coming out, what changes or additions to the line would you like to see? Would there be new accompanying media (as in a game, animated series, etc.) how should it be handled? What should the lineup of sets be like?

I, of course, have quite a lot to say, so here's some rough ideas for my ideal revival.

Sets

1. Stronger colorsheme possibly with variations to link associated sets with each other by color accents, like an expanded version of the idea used by the lom mech hangars

2. Better action features, replacing things like the loader dozer's chained bucket or the granite grinder's shuffle legs to integrate technic elements and mechanisms a la early bionicle

3. Better representation of planet u's environment and lifeforms. More detailed monsters and other things like slugs, spiders, and possibly envronmental touches like rock wall sections and such.

4. Broader variety of minifigs. More generic raiders can be included to show that the rrs are more than 6 people. Figures may even have variations on the for different sets, sort of like the adventurers gang.

5. More emphasis on base building and connectivity between sets. Certain sets could include or consist of modular sections that could be combined to build big bases, to create a thematic bridge to the game.

I know that I suggest cribbing notes from a lot of old themes, but hey, I'm a man who knows what he likes.

Anyway, on the subject of adaptation all media, here's my ideas.

First off, I think that the main driving force would be a set of online stories which could have interactive elements to it as well. Stories would delve more into the history and environment of planet u, and really flesh out the personalities of the raiders. I still haven't decided on a format, but knowing lego today it would probably be short movies, which I'd be okay with.

Pack-in comix would definitely make a return, they'd tease the bigger online stories, to give people the impression of this line being a more "serious" lego story.

Finally, it would be silly to have a new rock raiders without a game, and I think the biggest issue would be satisfying those who liked the more action-oriented ps1 style as well as the PC strategy fans. I look to lego battles: ninjago as a good example to follow, since It mixes in more action-oriented stages into the normal rts formula. Rpg elements from the original would be emphasized a little more here, and raiders would have the ability to improve from their performance in missions as well as normal training. In addition, some missions could limit what kind of units could be used on some missions to encourage players to adapt to multiple play styles instead of falling back on a favored strategy every time. This feature may be optional, with something like a "sandbox" mode to give players a free choice on replays. It could support competitive multiplayer, pitting raider teams against each other, or players could team up in action stages. A level builder would be a must have, to give the average player the ability to improvise custom stages. However, that's not to say the game wouldn't be left open for mods (ideally. It's possible that companies participating would object, to which the editor would provide another advantage.)

So, thoughts?

The Ace Railgun

Well set wise i'd love to see more buildings from the game and perhaps even an LMS explorer model and instead of having the buildings only released in one big set perhaps they could make them into modules and have a certain number of ordinary Rock raiders and one or two from the story I.e. axel etcetera and maybe include energy crystals and ore and an enemy mob with each of the modules.

Game wise I'm not really sure except maybe just. Some higher poly models and modding support oh and higher resolution of corse.

Sets

1. Stronger colorsheme possibly with variations to link associated sets with each other by color accents, like an expanded version of the idea used by the lom mech hangars

2. Better action features, replacing things like the loader dozer's chained bucket or the granite grinder's shuffle legs to integrate technic elements and mechanisms a la early bionicle

3. Better representation of planet u's environment and lifeforms. More detailed monsters and other things like slugs, spiders, and possibly envronmental touches like rock wall sections and such.

4. Broader variety of minifigs. More generic raiders can be included to show that the rrs are more than 6 people. Figures may even have variations on the for different sets, sort of like the adventurers gang.

5. More emphasis on base building and connectivity between sets. Certain sets could include or consist of modular sections that could be combined to build big bases, to create a thematic bridge to the game.

6. Finally, it would be silly to have a new rock raiders without a game, and I think the biggest issue would be satisfying those who liked the more action-oriented ps1 style as well as the PC strategy fans. I look to lego battles: ninjago as a good example to follow, since It mixes in more action-oriented stages into the normal rts formula. Rpg elements from the original would be emphasized a little more here, and raiders would have the ability to improve from their performance in missions as well as normal training. In addition, some missions could limit what kind of units could be used on some missions to encourage players to adapt to multiple play styles instead of falling back on a favored strategy every time. This feature may be optional, with something like a "sandbox" mode to give players a free choice on replays. It could support competitive multiplayer, pitting raider teams against each other, or players could team up in action stages. A level builder would be a must have, to give the average player the ability to improvise custom stages. However, that's not to say the game wouldn't be left open for mods (ideally. It's possible that companies participating would object, to which the editor would provide another advantage.)

1. I'm quite happy with the current grey-brown and turquoise-trim scheme, adding more colours could make it too complex. The Power Miners colour schemes are, in my opinion, too bright and unrealistic.

2. So long as the technic elements don't detract from the overall LEGO brick style, I'm for this. Action vehicles need action mechanisms.

3. I agree, I would certainly like Slimy Slugs. A little while ago I tried to make some modular cavern sections in LDD, it turned out to be too complex in design as I tried to make something too realistic like this. If they can do it well I'm for this too.

4. I like the current small team, any more individuals and I think it's too much. However generic Rock Raiders would be nice.

5. More buildings would definitely be good, it's a shame the product line wasn't expanded to include the buildings from the game.

6. If by a Lego Battles style game, you mean Rock Raiders becomes less about mining/building and more about attacking other people, I completely disagree. :/ The only fighting in Rock Raiders, in my opinion, should be with Rock Monsters/Slimy Slugs in defence, and (as seen in the game) this shouldn't be frequent. I would like a game though, and it would need to be something new in comparison to the original game.

Right now I can't think of any of my suggestions, but I am obviously for a re-release of Rock Raiders! I doubt it'd be done though, what with Power Miners' relatively recent release and the fact it had its own take on the Rock Raiders theme.

First off, by stronger colorsheme, I meant to reduce the amount of colors, limit them to mainly neutral so the accents could stand out. The variations between sets is more of a tentative suggestion. Secondly, I take lb:n as an example on how you could have 2 gameplay styles with the same rts mechanics. The "action stages" would be more ps1-like.

This.

Make it hapen.

As for the minifigs, I think that each named member should be included in one set each, with the rest being filled with generic PC Game style figs.

Of course I would want them to have different outfits depending on their occupation, so all drivers would have Axel's clothes and pilots would have Jet's clothes, etc.

Hell you could even make a completely original outfit for "explosives experts" since there is no corresponding member of the core 6.

An outfit for explosives experts? This could be the source of many parodies, jokes etc. For example: giving them t-shirts with the sentence the "the end is near" or "no worry. the only victim will be "all of us/everyone" ".

Okay, now for the more serious part:

the modular building thing sounds interesting and I think, that modular surroundings like walls could be integrated, but only in a more simplified form (this could be also a source for many grey bricks to build other things).

Generic Rock Raiders as a new minifigure reminds me a bit of the abundance of storm troopers in Lego Star Wars Sets/ MOCs ("buy your own bucket full of mindless and easily replacable generic rock raiders, because they die faster than you can say "NOOO" " would be extremly funny. Even if it was a fake advertisement).

A LMS Explorer model. Hmm, well, I've build a smaller 1:8 model, too, but the price would be on the same level like the Millennium Falcon.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Some really good suggestions here. LRR is being remade as BLOCK RAIDERS - see the LRR chats for the design discussions on this. We are looking at a sandbox game to deal with the different styles of gameplay that people want, you can play friendly construction and mining or combatative - you choose a level from 1-5.  The game is designed for Modding and players can customise the models and textures - so keep the classic RR style or design a new style that you personally like, the same for the vehicles and buildings. Please add in your comments, we want your input.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.