Review: #8261 Rally Truck

RobExplorien

LEGO Technic #8261 Rally Truck
Review by RobExplorien

Yes, LEGO Technic! To me the theme has become the fifth major theme in LEGO (next to Town, Space, Castle and Pirates), and still perpetuated as of 2013. I just love how you can build sophisticated and moveable designs with the Technic bricks, and the Technic line has become widely known among many builders. Building also becomes more challenging with these bricks, and that's how I like it.

On to the set in this review, the #8261 Rally Truck. The set was released in 2009, and was sold at a retail price of $24,99 (according to Brickipedia). With its flaming red and trusted old dark gray parts, the Rally Truck has it all. Flexible wheels and easy steering, and no stickers present!

yDrxtBA.jpg?1

A defiant-looking vehicle (if I'm using a correct term), that's what I thought when I saw the set in store back then, and my pocket money was already pointing to this set. Also the '2 in 1' feature of these Technic sets makes it worth buying. It is aged 8-14, which is strange. I see most Technic sets going up to 16 or something towards that age, and 'd expect the LEGO Group should've learnt his lesson by now. The Rally Truck has a tilting front suspension system and another suspension system for the back wheels. This makes the Rally Truck support rough terrain as well. The background seems pretty empty, and this box could've used some kind of rocky terrain on its background.
3UFwdHh.jpg?1

The other model that can be build with this set is a red truck. This model only has horizontally turning wheels, but this feature is known to many LEGO Technic sets. This alternate model is not too special, but a nice addition to this set though.

Now for the contents of the box:

• 198 bricks (including spare bricks)
  • 2 instructions (one for the Rally Truck, the other for the Red Truck)

ZeSK1tk.jpg?1

You may have read in my earlier reviews that LEGO makes the instructions very easy for (probably) young builders, the instructions being very well-explained. It works a little different with the Technic sets. Not only are you working with a different building method, sometimes I had to look carefully at the instructions to see where to place a certain brick. Now the building becomes interesting, you're actually puzzling to find the spot. Aside from those 'seeking for the right place' moments, the rest of the instructions are a relaxing build, as I would say.

(upper instructions: Red Truck; lower instructions: Rally Truck)

iARlY4v.jpg?1

After a 40 minute build, and enjoying the building, you get this awesome looking vehicle. It kind of looks like a monster truck to me. I used the spare parts to show the tilting front suspension system in action. The gear on top is used for steering. Normal LEGO bricks are used in the build as well for the bumper. I really like the white bricks used for the car hood. The oversized wheels fit very well with this red off-road rally muscle truck.

ZaO9FtI.jpg?1

Some additional images of the Rally Truck:

The rear of the Rally Truck, where you can see the springing rear suspension and trunk (with no bottom).

EBtG01e.jpg?1

Sideways view of the Rally Truck, where you can see the minifigure unfriendly driver's cabin.

xIWYnIJ.jpg?1

View of the chassis, with another look at the steering system.

IYW50cT.jpg?1

The alternate model is the Red Truck, as I mentioned before. Again, the bumper is made out of regular LEGO bricks, and the spare parts after this build are shown next to the vehicle (too bad the spring suspension isn't used for this model). The steering system at the Rally Truck is the same for this Red Truck, only the gear to steer is placed behind the drivers cabin, instead of on top.

e0Rc6xt.jpg?1

More of the Red Truck:

Rear view of the Red Truck, where an attachment can be made with a semi-trailer.

Xvy7ok5.jpg?1

Sideways view of the Red Truck, with this time a minifigure friendly driver's cabin. Note the exhaust pipes behind the cabin.

on3vE9s.jpg?1

And last, a view from beneath, where part of the steering system can be seen.

wiIHA37.jpg?1

Having this set examined and tested, I'd come to the following conclusion:

• Box design is well done for the contents of this set, but the background lacks significance with the Rally Truck itself.
  • The instructions are a bit challenging sometimes, but not too much. It still is a relaxing build.
  • Two models in one!
  • Both vehicles have fine design and detail, the Rally Truck more than the Red Truck. The feature of steering and (spring) suspension make this set really cool.

Thus concludes this review, and more Technic sets are about to come (soon or late), just like all other (complete) sets I have.

Rating
Design: 8
Quality: 8
Fun: 7
Price: 7

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.