LEGO Racers 2 AI

RobExplorien

I have played a lot of LEGO Racers, but also LEGO Racers 2. Therefore, I'm also known with AI behaviour in the latter game. Again, I give you a POV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAKgwceQdzQ

The AI for this game misses out in diversity of NPC paths. This is a factor that stuck in my head for years, and I'm none to pleased about this factor. LR didn't miss out on this, having multiple AI paths for each opponent on each track, but in LR2 they just all align to the same path, which annoys me. A result is that many power-up bricks remain unused, and in a row of four power-ups, only one or two are actually ever being used by NPC's.

To me there also seems to be a timer for the use of power-ups for AI's. Invisibility is always used instantly after grabbing, and a missile or some other 'red-type' power-up is sometimes used pointlessly (e.g. no one in sight, and firing the power-up). Back in LR, AI's would actually wait until they had someone in sight. Something else, the Destructabrick power-up makes you a bit overpowered, because only you can use it (unless an AI steals it from you). But giving each racer chances to get this power-up would prevail destruction.

But enough negative talk now. What I really like is destructible vehicles, it makes the bricks much more interactive in the game. The power-up system works out better than in LR. Where you could easily win after one or two warps (which is not hard to obtain), in LR2 the strength of the power-up depends on your position in the race. Physics are improved to become more realistic, but drifting hasn't been improved since LR. In fact, there isn't even a drift-button (or I missed something out here).

I can't summon all notable AI behaviour now, but I may be doing that in the future. Now I'm interested how others experienced the AI in this game, and if you know any other notable AI behaviour.

To me there also seems to be a timer for the use of power-ups for AI's. Invisibility is always used instantly after grabbing, and a missile or some other 'red-type' power-up is sometimes used pointlessly (e.g. no one in sight, and firing the power-up). Back in LR, AI's would actually wait until they had someone in sight.

I had read that the length of time before an AI racer uses a powerup is the same amount of time that a cloak lasts. It's there so you have a chance to steal powerups from the other racers. In my experience this is true most of the time, but in your video the racers were using powerups much more quickly...

I've always given LR1 a hard time about being too easy, and never even thought about LR2 for some strange reason. But now that I think about it, LR2 is way too easy. Again, for some reason I never found it strange or even un-fun, but wow -- this game could be much better if one improved the AI.

The only AI I found annoying was Basil the Batlord in LR1 but only because he somehow spammed the green bricks (and nearly always got a start boost) other than that the AIs are too easy. LR2 is more easy than LR1 IMO especially rocket racer in LR2. I usually am 3/4 of a lap ahead of him in LR2. LR1 Rocket racer is nearly always behind me.

Personally I think some of the physics in LR2 would fix up the physics in LR1 but this is another topic.

Anyway, the fact the that they follow the same path kind of shows lazyness when making the game.

AI on both games are stupidly easy and have no variety in the paths they go.

• Like 1

Mr. Eight-Three-One

The AI in LR1 always provided some decent challenge provided you didn't spam warps. The LR2 AI didn't, but to me, another much bigger flaw provided a challenge in frustration -- there's almost no room for error if you have no speed upgrades. One mistake and you're out of the race. The terrible traction certainly doesn't help this. Then, once you get speed upgrades, it's like the warp in LR1 all over again -- it's now impossible to stay behind.

The AI could have provided more challenge, but yeah, it feels unfinished. I never liked the power-ups either; they were usually worthless and did nothig to help you get ahead or stay ahead, unlike LR1. It certainly doesn't help a lot of them require precision aiming (the disc, the missile), which I imagine is really difficult to get AI players to use properly.

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

Destructabrick power-up makes you a bit overpowered, because only you can use it (unless an AI steals it from you). But giving each racer chances to get this power-up would prevail destruction.

I beat RR with only one Power because of that...

I always found the AI on LR2 rather pathetic. And as mentioned, the only challenge is if you don't get any power upgrades at all.

At some tracks (like the arctic track with the maze part) the AI will have multiple routes to pick. There is no AI diffeculty level. In LR1 there are more AI paths which can be different for the 'dumb' and 'smart' AI's. I cant find any different paths here. The Normal Opponents use the same part as The Berg and Riegel.

About the pickups, The timer they have is always the same. Which results to the fact that a powerup will be fired in the same corner every lap. You see this a lot if you play the same tracks after each other. You will also notice that the first car will always take the pickup (mostly cassaopea). This sucks because the cars in the back are not able to make a come back without powerups.

Conclusion: They should have multiple paths for 'dumb' and 'smart' opponents like in LR1. WHich would be randomly assinged at the begin of the race.

Sorry if my english sucks.

Kaj

• Like 2

I remember LR2 actually being hard, but that was a long time on my old Windows NT. (lol NT) Well, time to boot it up again.

EDIT: The AI is actually easier, but the cars go faster. So I guess the game is harder on weaker computers...

EDIT2: It doesn't necessarily have to be a weaker computer, Windows 7 offers a "Power Saver" mode, which also lags it up.

• 3 weeks later...

The AI might suck, but that doesn't make the game easy-

Most of the time I am less worried about the other racers and more worried about my car deciding to do a 180 for no reason.

The AI might suck, but that doesn't make the game easy-

Most of the time I am less worried about the other racers and more worried about my car deciding to do a 180 for no reason.

That is easy to avoid. It happens when you land while trying to steer. Being carful with your steering while on bumpy sections of track is the key to keeping it from going out of line.
  • Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

I loled, because that does happen sometimes. :P

Though the lead is still to great for the CPU to catch up.

RobExplorien

Though the lead is still to great for the CPU to catch up.

And that's why to copy AI behaviour. Not only to learn more of its behaviour, but also to keep fun in the game by racing close to your opponents and messing with them, and not being too overpowered. Therefore, I only use the Destructabrick once at maximum every race, and do not immediately get back on track, when stuck at a wall or other object.

Fluffy Cupcake

And that's why to copy AI behaviour. Not only to learn more of its behaviour, but also to keep fun in the game by racing close to your opponents and messing with them, and not being too overpowered. Therefore, I only use the Destructabrick once at maximum every race, and do not immediately get back on track, when stuck at a wall or other object.

But then you aren't racing at or near your best, which isn't as fun imo.

RobExplorien

And that's why to copy AI behaviour. Not only to learn more of its behaviour, but also to keep fun in the game by racing close to your opponents and messing with them, and not being too overpowered. Therefore, I only use the Destructabrick once at maximum every race, and do not immediately get back on track, when stuck at a wall or other object.

But then you aren't racing at or near your best, which isn't as fun imo.

Fun for me though :) And don't think I do this all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever seen the entire field apart from yourself get their cars obliterated, so they're all running in a giant conga line to the nearest repair lane?

Credit where credit is due, that was one of the most hilarious things I've seen in my life, and frankly I think that's why the AI is better in LR2.

• 7 months later...

The Destructabrick power-up makes you a bit overpowered, because only you can use it (unless an AI steals it from you).

Someone stealed it from me once! At the time I didn't know how it happened, I discovered that te invisibility power-up could steal other power-ups only a couple years after that episode.

But yeah, the AI is lame.

Someone stealed it from me once! At the time I didn't know how it happened, I discovered that te invisibility power-up could steal other power-ups only a couple years after that episode.

I actually tried to have my opponents steal that power-up from me.

Why is that 'stolen'? They may know it themselves and it was also very common years before you have written it down!

Do I miss something here? Because I'm not really sure what you mean by your reaction on ShadowBlaze.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.