LEGO Racers Recreations

Jimbob

It...is...just epic! :P Those cars seem to look even better than in the game. Also very shiny. Is it just me or does Achu's mask look bigger than in-game?

You've set history now, the first recording of these opponent cars (not bosses) built in real life!

I though that you couldn't find a green wedge-piece. What did you end up doing?

Never mind, I hadn't read the details yet when I said that.

Anyway, good job!

Wow. Those are nice! How much did it cost?

As for embedding the links from Dropbox, instead of the Pictures folder, put them in a subfolder under Public. Then copy the public link, and put it between two %7Boption%7D tags. Spoiler each one so the page doesn't grow a lot.

If you don't have a Public folder, that means you signed up for Dropbox after they removed it. You can read my post about that to learn how to re-enable it.

Wow, that looks great! :D The cars look spot on. As for making the circuit 2 diorama more interesting, maybe you could try covering the road with tiles in various shades of gray to make a sort of brick road-like texture. What sort of designs do you have in mind for the other set-ups?

It...is...just epic! :P Those cars seem to look even better than in the game. Also very shiny. Is it just me or does Achu's mask look bigger than in-game?

You've set history now, the first recording of these opponent cars (not bosses) built in real life!

I though that you couldn't find a green wedge-piece. What did you end up doing?

Never mind, I hadn't read the details yet when I said that.

Anyway, good job!

Thank you both! I wish I had a better environment to photograph them in for the ultimate gloss effect ;)

As for embedding the links from Dropbox, instead of the Pictures folder, put them in a subfolder under Public. Then copy the public link, and put it between two %7Boption%7D tags. Spoiler each one so the page doesn't grow a lot.

If you don't have a Public folder, that means you signed up for Dropbox after they removed it. You can read my post about that to learn how to re-enable it.

Thanks, cost wise I'm not sure... The minifigures and overseas postage probably costed more than the parts. Could have been anywhere from £50-£100+, I'll be sure to take note for the second 12!

And thank you very much for that Dropbox information, I've updated the original post, it was very helpful of you.

Wow, that looks great! :D The cars look spot on. As for making the circuit 2 diorama more interesting, maybe you could try covering the road with tiles in various shades of gray to make a sort of brick road-like texture. What sort of designs do you have in mind for the other set-ups?

Again, thank you! I'll definitely give the tiling a go, I hadn't thought about that - should I use flat tiles or standard studded ones? I'll try and match the textures they have in-game.

I haven't thought about the other set ups as of yet, but Rocket Racer/Veronica Voltage and the Circuit 7 racers will obviously be using Rocket Racer Run. I have no idea how to approach that... I'm only just getting into custom Lego designing, but it's certainly a great experience.

Thanks, cost wise I'm not sure... The minifigures and overseas postage probably costed more than the parts. Could have been anywhere from £50-£100+, I'll be sure to take note for the second 12!

And thank you very much for that Dropbox information, I've updated the original post, it was very helpful of you.

Scratch that price range, looking back it was shamefully in the £100-£150 price range :/ At least I think so.

Perhaps you could primarily use tiles, with the occasional plate for variation?

I guess that's more of a 'tiles are preferable'? I'm just curious as to whether old stone grey tiles are more expensive than plates.

These look great. I'll try and post those decals you asked about in my thread sometime soon aswell.

Thank you, that would be very helpful. I have some old transparent decal paper too, do you think I could print all the textures onto it if I slightly darken the white colours (e.g. from #FFFFFF to #F5F5F5)?

I've found some nice-paid work this weekend so hopefully can start purchasing the circuit 3/6 and 7 racers soon. That or the first two dioramas, I'll see.

Again, thank you all for the comments :)

You could try, and see what happens. I'm no expert on the fine details on how printers work, I wasn't fully aware of this until i tried making these things myself, but from what I gather, it prints colors under the assumption that the background color of the paper is white, so it might just come out a strange translucent color. Printers that do use white-colored ink do exist, but apparently are the exception to the norm, and chances are you don't have one.

Like i said, you could print out a few and see what happens, but I'm pretty sure most of the whites in my decals aren't pure hex white to start with. They're designed for use on solid-background paper anyway, so you'd have to hack them up a bit.

However, the faces I made are both for use on transparent paper, so go ahead and use those. (I should be able to post them later today.)

• 2 months later...
OrangebanannaX

Wow, I never realized just how similar the opponents (not champions) were to each other!

Also, I've never actually seen that 1x4 sideways slope in real life before. I was beginning to think the game designers made it up.

• 5 months later...

Update time! I've finally built all the circuit 3/6 cars, and am pretty excited :D Just six racers left to go.

gallery_5738_370_534235.jpg

Check out pictures of the individual racers in the spoiler below.

Sam Sinister

gallery_5738_370_505609.jpg

Complete with TNT mounted on the back. Unfortunately the back side-dot bricks which hold the TNT aren't available in old dark grey.

Black Jack Hawkins

gallery_5738_370_36642.jpg

The red and blue colours work nicely, I think. Plus he has a cool parrot.

Willa the Witch

gallery_5738_370_337217.jpg

Another generic black car is used here, but oh well. Willa's black skirt was swapped for the legs she has in-game. I love her toothless smile :D

Alpha Dragonis

gallery_5738_370_423247.jpg

Alpha Dragonis' decals are so epic. To tell the truth, I didn't know his head was trans-orange until I bought the figure...

Basil the Batlord

gallery_5738_370_277040.jpg

Haw haw haw... Basil's such a legend. He and his car... so mean-looking.

Gypsy Moth

gallery_5738_370_138790.jpg

I'd say this is the biggest car of the lot. Rocket Racer and Veronica Voltage aside, Gypsy Moth is definitely the don.

I took a couple of group shots too.

Firstly, all the bosses together:

gallery_5738_370_238645.jpg

And now a shot of all 18 racers so far:

gallery_5738_370_358298.jpg

Oh, last thing... I hope the photos are an improvement on recent ones, I got a new 'studio' ;)

gallery_5738_370_307204.jpg

Check out the teapot, koala bear and American flag.

Oh my yes!

I vote for a UFO diorama.

Please.

Excellent idea, I was still unsure what theme to choose. After I've built the circuit 7 racers (or maybe before, hmmm...) I'll start acquiring the parts for these dioramas, and designing the circuit 3/6 one. Unless someone else has any ideas for one/fancies designing one?

P.S. If anyone would like alternate photos of the racers, let me know and I'll see what I can do. It's a shame the above photos came out a little desaturated.

I could try a UFO one, I do have a few UFO sets, although I've never done a diorama before.

Please, go ahead if you want to :) Although I'll obviously have one or two UFO sets included, I don't know what to do about the green walls that the game uses. I'm not great at building terrain...

The only limitations I have are 1) that it is 32x48 dots, and 2) that it fits all six racers.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got any more photos of new racers/dioramas yet, but I thought I'd share this little gallery I made of circuit 1/4's racers. Basically, I wouldn't have built any of these models (let alone got back into LEGO Racers) if it wasn't for RRU, so I really want to be able to share them with you all as best as I can.

Like the 360-degree rotations I made of my other two recent MOCs, I have taken a bunch of pictures of each model and turned it into a 360-degree gallery. The amount of pictures I took of each one varied as I started off taking loads with Captain Redbeard and gradually got more and more impatient :P Unfortunately, Ann Droid's photos got a little messed up in the processing so aren't great.

Anyway, view the 360 degree rotation online here! (Or in the OP).

System Requirements:

• 1024x768 screen resolution minimum (if this is your screen resolution, set your browser to full-screen)
  • Adobe Flash Player 11.2 or higher (should be automatically updated in Chrome)
  • You may need to wait for the images to download depending on your connection, if the screen is blank on a model's gallery then wait for a minute

Click on an image to select its model, rotate the model with the left and right arrow keys, and click the yellow back arrow to return to the main menu.

Enjoy!

Oh, also, I scratch built myself a mini photo studio which I used to take these photos. I stupidly forgot to take a picture but will do a.s.a.p.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Build a badass stop motion!

I would love to, once I have all the racers, as I've had an idea for one for a long time (one of those I-wish-I-could-make-this-but-accept-I-probably-never-will-type-deals :P). I just don't have enough parts to make a set/background, nor the skills to digitally create a background to place behind the racers. My only alternative would be to have them driving through my house...

My only alternative would be to have them driving through my house...

Do so. NOW. :P

So, what do you think?

Such epicness... I am not worthy...

(If I attempted to paint a Lego piece like you did there would be more paint on the ceiling than on the brick :P)

Do you have plans to build the next (as in halfway through next year) set? Or are you waiting for parts? Or have you just given up? :P

My only alternative would be to have them driving through my house...

1) Do so. NOW. :P

So, what do you think?

2) Such epicness... I am not worthy...

(If I attempted to paint a Lego piece like you did there would be more paint on the ceiling than on the brick :P)

3) Do you have plans to build the next (as in halfway through next year) set? Or are you waiting for parts? Or have you just given up? :P

1) Haha, well I'd like to wait until at least I have all the racers. Plus I've tried animation before and I can't really compare to the standard on YouTube. :/

2) Thank you! It really wasn't that difficult, I placed the parts on toothpicks with blue-tac on them to hold them steady and reach all areas, without getting paint anywhere.

3) I do indeed, it wouldn't be a complete collection if I didn't have all the racers! As the circuit 3 racers came a while after circuits 1 and 2, so I expect circuit 7's racers to take a while too though. I've got other things I'm saving money for :)

I did build a desert version of Vernoica's car, but remoded some parts, and added spoiler from Basil's car.

Sounds good, if you still have it you should post it! Not here in this topic though of course :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.