ICU (LEGO Island Configuration Utility)

le717

ICU is a WIP LEGO Island configuration package, consisting of the Sandbox, ReDirect, Windower, and eventually, a rewrite of CONFIG.EXE, the config tool that ships with LEGO Island. The final goal of ICU is to merge all four tools into one and completely replace CONFIG.EXE. Until I can rewrite the config tool, however, ICU consists of separate tool which are each run separately, with a (unwritten) main wrapper use load of them from one program. (Don’t confuse the wrapper with the final goal, which merges all the tools. The wrapper only lets you launch the separate tools from one window.)
When ICU is complete, yes, all these tools will be merged, but I also plan on keeping these independent, so you can (but not always recommended) to use each of these tools by themselves.

ICU Sandbox

You may know how Racers, Rock Raiders, and Drome Racers all can run portable, that is, it can be run without installing it or from a flash drive. I for one enjoy this kind of portability, and wish I could do the same with LEGO Island. But alas, this is impossible, because LEGO Island has many registry strings, and as we all know, registry strings are not at all portable.

ICU Sandbox creates and deletes those registry strings that Island requires to run, allowing you to run LEGO Island from your flash drive. Just as a sandbox keeps your computer safe from changes programs make, ICU Sandbox keeps all traces of LEGO Island off the host computer. However, it not a true sandbox, which does not edit the host PC in any way. The Windows Registry is hard (if not impossible) to emulate, so this emulates it in the best way possible.

ICU ReDirect

ICU ReDirect is a Python rewrite from the original >LEGO Island Save Game ReDirect. It takes your save games from the current location, moves them to where ever you choose, and tells LEGO Island where to save them. This is helpful when you want to use the same saves on multiple computers, and each one has a folder that can be accessed, like a Dropbox folder.

ICU Windower

ICU Windower is a Python rewrite from the original >LEGO Island Windower. It automatically activates the semi-hidden LEGO Island windowed mode, and restores full screen mode with the choice to use Ramp or MMX Emulation. A game launcher has been included as well.

Downloads

No, you don't need an installer. This doesn't warrant an installer. It's more hassle to everyone. This is a very, very tiny program. Some people also don't have permissions to use installers. If you need to put the program in a certain spot, have the user do that. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't be messing with games.

• Like 4

Does no one have feedback on ICU Sandbox? As any dev, I want to know about the app itself than some minor thing that was just briefly mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...

I've released ICU Sandbox 1.0 Beta 2, which is many just a improvement in the code, and also adds logger code. Download link is in the Topic Post.

• 2 weeks later...
SchollExpos

One Bug at the ICU windower:

I have Win 8 64 bit and he searches for the installation in C:Program FilesLego Island (at least the short version of that).

But my installation is in C:Program Files(x86)Lego Island

That should be corrected.

EDIT:

Even if I copy the files to C:Program Files he does not find them.

Later when I'm back at "the" PC I will look at this problem again.

Bye, SchollExpos

SchollExpos

Okay here a complete log of what i have done:

1. I followed the Guide from Baz (http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/3760-how-to-get-lego-island-working-foolproof-in-windows-vista-and-windows-7/)
  2. Lego Island was installed to C:Program Files (x86)LEGO Insel (GERMAN VERSION)
  3. I downloaded and decompressed the ICU windower
  4. I ran (the EXE, not the bat) as Admin
  5. This came out:
Welcome to ICU Windower Version 2.0
Copyright 2012-2013 Triangle717

Please make a selection:

[f] Full Screen Mode
[w] Windowed Mode
[q] Quit

> w

Windowed Mode sucessfully activated!

Do you want to play LEGO Island now? (yN)

> y

Cannot find LEGO Island installation at
"C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~"!

Thats all.

Bye, SchollExpos

@SchollExpos, Thanks for your interest in ICU Windower, and welcome to RRU!

The error you are having, that's pretty strange. ICU Windower pulls the location of LEGO Island from the registry, for a string with that data is created when you install it. It doesn't actually matter if you ran Windows x64 and installed it to Program Files not x86, it would find the installation (BTW, I run Win8 x64 too, so it's not the OS). The error you are getting has got to be stemming from it not being able to find LEGOISLE.exe, which is what it tries to run. I suspect that the German version may have a different .exe name. If this is so, I'll add a dialog box asking you to manually select your LEGO Island installation in case LEGOISLE.EXE cannot be run.

However, to err on the safe side, please follow these 3 small steps:

1. Go to where ever you installed LEGO Island, and note the names of any .exe files in the root folder.
  2. Go to where ever you ran ICU Windower from, open YourScoreCube.log from the Logs folder in the same folder as ICUWindower20.exe, and open it.
  3. Tell me what the names of the .exe files are (the English version has three), and paste the contents of the .log in a spoiler (
).

These steps will help me fix better understand what happened. :)

@SchollExpos,

I think I've patched this nasty bug, and it will be available in ICU Windower V2.0.1. I'm not done with it, as I need to finish refining it, but I can confirm it should work for you. I'll try to release it ASAP, but it won't be until later this week. ;)

If you can still get me that info, I'd appreciate it.

SchollExpos

@le717,

The executables:

Config.exe      (I love self-explanatory filenames)

LEGOIsle.exe <-- 94kb (The same as in the English version)

ISLE.exe         <---85kb

Msrun.exe       (A programm that prints a big Poster of the Lego Island)

Uninst.exe       (what could this exe do? :af: )

And the log:

2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO : Begin logging to C:UsersSchollExposDesktopICUWindowerICU WindowerLogsYourScoreCube.log

2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO :
#############################################
ICU Windower Version 2.0
Copyright 2012-2013 Triangle717
YourScoreCube.log

If you run into a bug, open an issue at
https://github.com/le717/ICU/issues
and attach this file for an easier fix!
#############################################

2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO : You are running Python 3.3.0 or greater. ICU Windower will continue.
2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO : User is running 64-bit Windows.
2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO : Swiching to main menu
2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO :

2013-03-26 15:01:14,905 : INFO : Display menu to user
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : User pressed '[w] Windowed Mode'
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Switching to Windowed Mode introduction (Windowed())
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO :

2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : User is running 64-bit (x64) Windows, use x64 Registry Strings
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Switch to sixfourWindowed()

2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Creating Windowed Mode registry strings (x64)
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Get LEGO Island Installation path from registry
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Convert tuple returned by registry string to a string
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Cleaning up folder path...
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : LEGO Island Installation located at C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Windowed Mode sucessfully activated
2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Switching to game launching process (letheIsland(gamepath))

2013-03-26 15:01:17,515 : INFO : Do you want to play LEGO Island now?
2013-03-26 15:01:20,156 : INFO : Run "legoisle.exe", located at C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~
2013-03-26 15:01:20,156 : WARNING : Cannot find LEGO Island installation at "C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~"!
2013-03-26 15:01:23,156 : INFO : Switching to main menu
2013-03-26 15:01:23,156 : INFO :

2013-03-26 15:01:23,156 : INFO : Display menu to user

I hope that this bug gets corrected!

EDIT: In DosBox, I have to change to C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~1 instead of the C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~ used by ICU. That could be a problem

Alright! ICU Windower 2.0.1 is released. Link on the topic post. I've added an option to manually select an LI installation if audo-detection/game launching fails. However, you'll have to select the game every time, as it is not saved. I hope to fix this in a future release.

@SchollExpos,

"C:PROGRA~2LEGOIN~"

I hate that. I'm sure that is why it is failing, but IDK why it can't detect it correctly (something to do with Python and the winreg module). If you want, backup your game saves and reinstall Island with my LEGO Island Alternate Installer, which doesn't do that and will fix this issue once and for all.  However, I'll still look into this type of folder path, as I *think * I installed it with the original installer, and LI loads for me My installation was defined with ICU Sandbox when I was making sure everything worked. :| Oh, well. I'll still look into this though.

I don't use DOSBox, so I can't really comment on that.

• 2 months later...

Just because I have not worked on ICU in a while does not mean I have dropped it (reference to LEGO Island joke not intended). I have spent a good chunk of my afternoon writing up a module to automate the creation and reading of the many LEGO Island registry strings, and it will help me reach my final goal of ICU: remake the original CONFIG.EXE tool and include the new separate tools I've already written.

Also, I do have some new code that will help always enable windowed mode (but not fix it, sadly). However, I wrote it a while back, and I now have to rerun my tests.

That is all.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
supercoolguy32

oh I thought the sandbox would let you have a.... you know A sandbox mode! oh well, great program By the way

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.