RollerCoaster Tycoon nostalgia

RobExplorien

I just wonder who else on this forum is fond of LEGO and this great tycoon game. This game is in my top 3 list of favorite games, and like Racers and Island, I play RollerCoaster Tycoon for as long as I can remember. Ofcourse in the very begin I didn't understand much of the financial side of theme parks, and just build for fun. But after almost a decade of playing the game (and fooling around with high-nausea rated rides :af: ), I completed the original game. I remember never getting past Pokey Park/Dinky Park, and always wondered how all those other scenarios would look like. After the completion of a park, or reaching that objective which was really hard to do, euphoria sets in and I couldn't wait to start on the new scenario. But no worries if you've finished the original list, you can also try out 60 whole new scenarios offered in the expansion packs! Overall, it's a game in which you can let your creativity rule the place, and that's a factor I'm looking for in games. I also must say, RCT 2 is a well-done sequel to the game. Even though it doesn't offer a very new gameplay, but more builds on the old trusted interface and nostalgia, I love both games.

But now enough of my personal experience and nostalgia. I'd like to know of others what they know and experienced from the game. How did you play it, what do you remember most of the game, have you completed the original game (21 scenarios)? I'd also like to know your answers on these questions (if you like to answer them):

1. Favorite scenario? Evergreen Gardens.
  2. Favorite ride? Either Steel Corkscrew Roller Coaster or Go-Karts.
  3. Least favorite scenario? As for now, Mystic Mountain/Mothball Mountain, but it's also annoying to build in Coaster Canyon with the viewing angles of the game.
  4. Your most succesful park (with your statistics)? I don't really know, made so many (not all succesful though).
  5. Hardest scenario to beat? Probably the ones in which you are not allowed to adjust scenery and land levels, like Harmony Hills.

You can see that I put focus on the first game, but feel free to answer these questions with RCT 2 scenarios/rides/parks as well. I'm not very keen on RCT 3. It has a whole new game engine, new interface, new rides, is in 3D and has a COASTERCAM!, but I guess I just like the old games better because of nostalgia and trusted gameplay. I'm not saying RCT 3 is a bad game, but your personal experience with a game (after all those years of playing) makes a game (RCT & RCT 2 in this case) just, well, a bit better than others. :)

Behold, Forest Frontiers, in all its holiness.

x2utctX.jpg?1

I have both RCT and RCT 2, but unfortunately cannot play the first as it's broken :(

I do remember not just I but my brother and mum too being addicted to RCT, it was one of the first games we got. It is indeed a brilliant game, and I still play RCT 2 every now and then, mainly spending a few hours just designing my own level to play. But I think the first game was better in that it just felt less complex overall, I'm not sure why...

I can't remember the names of the scenarios themselves, so sorry for the vagueness of this next bit, but Evergreen Gardens rings a bell. I remember one with a huge lake too, and hating it for its little space. I remember liking a small park which was rectangular, with a huge roller coaster at the entrance. But my favourite is probably this level where there were two synchronised roller coasters which raced around most of the park (Arachnophobia and Claustrophobia?).

We bought RCT 3 recently for my little sister, it's okay but definitely very different. It actually felt a little incomplete, and too different for me, but I guess the extreme zoom and character 'creation' was a cool feature.

I have both RCT and RCT 2, but unfortunately cannot play the first as it's broken :(

I do remember not just I but my brother and mum too being addicted to RCT, it was one of the first games we got. It is indeed a brilliant game, and I still play RCT 2 every now and then, mainly spending a few hours just designing my own level to play. But I think the first game was better in that it just felt less complex overall, I'm not sure why...

I can't remember the names of the scenarios themselves, so sorry for the vagueness of this next bit, but Evergreen Gardens rings a bell. I remember one with a huge lake too, and hating it for its little space. I remember liking a small park which was rectangular, with a huge roller coaster at the entrance. But my favourite is probably this level where there were two synchronised roller coasters which raced around most of the park (Arachnophobia and Claustrophobia?).

We bought RCT 3 recently for my little sister, it's okay but definitely very different. It actually felt a little incomplete, and too different for me, but I guess the extreme zoom and character 'creation' was a cool feature.

Well thanks for sharing your experience with RCT :D. The huge lake could be Lucky Lake (Expert Park from RCT 2), that small rectangular park could be Bumbly Beach (loved the adjacent town), and the two dueling coasters (Indeed Claustrophobia, and Agoraphobia, (Arachnophobia is a junior coaster in the same park)) are located in Diamond Heights.

RCT, one of the my favourite older games. I still remember purchasing RCT1 at E.B Games(Gamestop). That was a good day.

I loved 1 & 2, 3 was meh and I never really got into it. And who didn't love making incomplete coasters, then turning them online to watch them exploded? :D And lets not forget grabbing guests and throwing them in the water.

Good times. And prop's to Chris Sawyer for developing 1 & 2 in Assembly. I challenge you to find a new age game developer that writes commercial games in ASM, I bet you'll find none.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

As Rob already knows, I actually started a walkthrough of this on my channel. I've only done three scenarios so far (the third is about to be uploaded), but I plan on doing all of the original vanilla game scenarios.

I never really played the game as a kid; my cousins had it, but I was way too young to understand any of it. I started looking at YouTube videos of it about a year or two back though, and I got hooked. I decided to buy a copy of RCT Gold from it (it came in the box, too!), and I've been addicted ever since. Unfortunately my last computer bailed out on me before I finished it (I had started Mothball Mountain when that happened), and due to difficulty of trying to get the game to work on my current machine, I kind of just left it sitting. I have only tried the demo of RCT2, but in all honesty while it may still be great, it's way too similar to RCT1 with added things. Also, according to Amazon reviews, the expansions for it did nothing but clone rides and change their cars, along with occasional scenery additions. I actually really like RCT3, as it had a few things the previous games didn't and didn't have Chris Sawyer nagging on you to play the game his way (He was opposed to sandbox modes, for one, and made demolishing trees by hand cheaper than planting rides on top of them). Oh, and it had the sandbox mode. I still think the first one is better though.

Favorite scenario? I'd have to say any of the ones from Loopy Landscapes that gave you infinite money, like Arid Heights.

Favorite ride? Steel Corkscrew Rollercoaster.

Least favorite scenario? I'd say Rainbow Valley, I haven't reached the meaner ones yet though.

Most successful park? I have no clue.

Hardest scenario? I don't know, but some have ludicrous requirements for so little time (I think one such park doesn't even allow advertising. Ouch.)

The lake scenario was called Leafy Lake, the rectangular was Bumbly Beach, and the dueling coaster park was Diamond Heights, a particularly memorable one for being the first one you play with a pre-built park. Those coasters are notorious for having a bad tendency to crash along with its twin (dang station brake failures).

Unfortunately, I never actually owned the first two, but almost everyone I knew did, so I still got to play them a lot. I do own 3, and I can sort of see why people don't like it. It is very different from the originals, but that's not always a bad thing and I really like it. Mostly I just like building incomplete coasters and sending people off into the stratosphere.

• 3 weeks later...

Well as you may have seen from some of my posts, I used to be a huge fan of this series. I still have RCT 1 with it's two expansion packs, and also RCT3. Used to have RCT2 as well. Always felt like it was more of an expansion pack than the second installment. Don't remember enough of it to talk scenarios, I usually just played in the sandbox anyway. Also, http://imgur.com/gallery/Wxzbl

• 3 weeks later...

I have the first and second games with all of the expansions.

Definitely on my list of timeless classics. The games have aged very, very well.

I like trying to re-create real life coasters that I know of. I had a pretty accurate rendition of Son of Beast (anyone who has actually rode that coaster, I am soooooo jealous of you. It is currently shut down indefinitely and will probably never open again.), loop and everything, but I don't have my old saves anymore.

RCT2 was my Minecraft before Minecraft existed. I would spend hours upon hours just building things in the scenario editor. Hell I even had a scale model of KANTO that I made in that. Again, lost my old saves...

ya know what? I'm gonna do that again. It needs done.

Olivus Prime

After playing LEGOLAND and enjoying it a lot as a kid, when I got fully into theme parks, I bought RCT2 and RCT3 as a joint impulse buy. Whilst I enjoyed RCT2, it sounds like I'm going against most of the other opinions here by saying that RCT3 was far better for me. I still love using the freeplay mode to make parks and rides I've thought about for years, and the 3D just brings about so many improvements (e.g. heightened realism, CoasterCam, better camera angles). Bring on the fourth game, when they eventually get round to doing it!

Bring on the fourth game, when they eventually get round to doing it!

There actually is a fourth game.

It's on the 3DS.

From the review I read, it's horrible.

RobExplorien

Bring on the fourth game, when they eventually get round to doing it!

There actually is a fourth game.

It's on the 3DS.

From the review I read, it's horrible.

I never really like reboots of old classic games. The new aged media would destroy the classic feel of the game (exaggerating here). Though this does not apply to all games, I'm just not in favor of it.

You guys have inspired me to start playing RCT2 again.

I've started recreating certain maps from games I like in the scenario editor again... I'm not gonna do Kanto this time, gonna try other maps. I wonder if there are any LEGO maps I could do... maybe I could recreate LEGO island? :P I'd need to know what it looked like though...

But that comes later, there's another map I'm working on right now.

I've started recreating certain maps from games I like in the scenario editor again... I'm not gonna do Kanto this time, gonna try other maps. I wonder if there are any LEGO maps I could do... maybe I could recreate LEGO island? :P I'd need to know what it looked like though...

Why not LEGO Stunt Rally? Or LEGO Racers? I can't remember how much scenery is available but I don't recall many colourful buildings, which LEGO Island would require.

Why not LEGO Stunt Rally? Or LEGO Racers? I can't remember how much scenery is available but I don't recall many colourful buildings, which LEGO Island would require.

The pre-made buildings are pretty bland but there are walls and roofs that you can paint any color you like.

I dunno, I though LI would be the most logical place to build a theme park. I don't have LI though.

I could try one of the Racers tracks, but they would be kind of small to make an entire map out of... Unless I did one of the worlds from LR2... Dino Island, anyone?

RobExplorien

I wonder if there are any LEGO maps I could do... maybe I could recreate LEGO island? I'd need to know what it looked like though...

You're tempting me with that idea to play the game again. :P

Hey, is it possible to run RCT2 in a window, instead of fullscreen? I tried adding -windowed to the shortcut like with LRR but it didn;t work.

Having it always in fullscreen is very inconvenient.

RobExplorien

Hey, is it possible to run RCT2 in a window, instead of fullscreen? I tried adding -windowed to the shortcut like with LRR but it didn;t work.

I'm not sure if this is possible with the standard game configuration, but I mostly use Alt+Tab to switch between game screen and 'normal' screen.

Also, this might help you a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuawyRSqYTc

I'm not sure if this is possible with the standard game configuration, but I mostly use Alt+Tab to switch between game screen and 'normal' screen.

Also, this might help you a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuawyRSqYTc

Bah, youtube. Can't watch youtube videos because of the stupid internet filter.

But I could read the description, and I downloaded the hack files, now how do I use them?

RobExplorien

But I could read the description, and I downloaded the hack files, now how do I use them?

Allow me to explain then (as I quote from the video):

- First off, open RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.

- Then, go to options in-game and make sure the resolution is set to either 800x600 or 640x480.

- Close the game.

- Go to your RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 directory and open it (often found in Program Files --> Infogrames --> RollerCoaster Tycoon 2)

- Then place the extracted files from the download in that directory.

- Start the game and it should play in windowed mode now.

NOTE: To move the camera around rather than moving the mouse to the corresponding side of the screen, hold down right click and move the mouse around to scroll the camera.

It is the options in both 1 & 2.  It is in mine anyways.

• 6 months later...

I just re-read this thread, and I have no idea what I was working on that I was being so coy about >.>

I'd like to try modding RCT2 (from what I've read it's a very mod-friendly game) but I don't know how and can't seem to find a good tutorial or the right tools to do so. Such is life.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.