Your Best Racers Gameplay Tips

le717

As most of you already know, I am writing a program to assist in the distribution and installation of LEGO Racers mods. Well, I wanted to add something special into it, something that the modding community can help with.

I want you to post your best Racers gameplay (not modding!) tips. I will pull out the best ones and add them into PatchIt!, to be displayed when a mod is being installed. Try to keep your tips short(er), around 100 characters, and to the point. It can be a general gameplay tip, or for a single track.

I probably won't add who said the quote, as everyone who uses PatchIt! won't be a part of RRU, but you will be credited. ;)

Thanks!

-le717

How short do you want these? Give us a character limit if possible.

Is that turn too tight for a power slide? Try a super slide! Hold the brake key as you begin your slide and you will turn even more tightly (need to confirm how to do this, it's been forever).

When you have a warp powerup, try using it right before touching a powerup or white brick. You will pick up the brick as you enter the warp which can be helpful.

Have you heard about the TRUCK DRIVER cheat? It's fake. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

• Like 3

How short do you want these? Give us a character limit if possible.

I wouldn't make them much longer than yours. ;)

Those are awesome! Thanks!

Don't use a turbo on a ramp, it will make your car unstable, and the effect of the turbo will be lost.

Probably not the best tip ever, but hey... :P

During the warp powerup and shortly after, don't press any key. This will make you 'fly' further in some arrival places.

To make the speed of a green powerup last longer, press also the braking key with the acceleration key when the green powerup is finishing.

If you want to use the shortcut in Imperial Grand Prix, you can also open it by honking in the waterfall area.

When you want to fire the missiles, forget about them! They hardly ever hit any AI (opponent) especially in narrow races.

When flying (green powerup, 2 white bricks), you can do even harder turns than without them. 

Restart Rocket Racer's Run as long as RR himself has no rocket at the beginning. Then try to reach the green powerup at the start. When you got it, the race is almost won for you!

Just a selection of tips that came in useful for me (the yellow text is just extra information, not intended for using with the tip):

- Make sure to grab a blue brick and use it, at the start of Alien Rally Asteroid.

- Using the Mummy Curse power-up against opponents can be very useful, as it does slow them down.

- Never use a turbo when cursed by the mummy.

- Use a Grapple Hook on an opponent when dragged by the UFO, it will help you regain speed.

- Press the gas-button right at the start of the race to get an extra boost.

- Do not waste time searching for a 'real' shortcut on Knightmare-athon or Pirate Skull Pass, you wouldn't be able to use them anyway. (although, not without modding)

- (as Alan somewhat said) Only fire missiles when knowing you will have a clear shot at your opponents (e.g. the opponent(s) is/are right in front of you, or on a straight part).

- All red-type power-ups can be used to open shortcuts. (but the red-type power-up cannot open ALL shortcuts)

- Do not even try to shoot at opponents with a yellow or red shield.

I got more tips, but they would take too long (or to difficult) to explain.

Do you think that we have to mention those tips yet because I guess something like 

is known by everyone, right? :)

Do you think that we have to mention those tips yet because I guess something like 

is known by everyone, right? :)

You're surprised when you find out that quite a few people still didn't know this, but I guess you're right. Although, it is still a tip, and that's what is being asked in this topic.

Sounds like a good idea. I guess most have already been done now, but how about:

• When turning tight corners, move to the outside of the track and powerslide inwards. This will give you a tighter turn.
  • When firing the Grappling Hook, make sure you manoeuvre your car around the opponent, or you'll bump into them.
  • Instead of simply picking up a green powerup, why not switch it with a different one?
  • You can set the number of opponents in a single race to 0 in the Options menu, helping you to learn the layout of tracks before racing them for real.
  • There are two shortcuts in Desert Adventure Dragway that lead to the same powerups, choose which one you use wisely.
  • Master the powerup locations in Ice Planet Pathway to speed ahead of your opponents. They are often hidden around corners.
  • Developing a good track line will improve your lap times. Stay near corners to prevent a great speed loss when turning.
  • Try and release yellow powerup bricks on narrow sections of track - this will maximize their chances of hitting an opponent.
  • You can also listen to the colour console's beeps in Magma Moon Marathon to learn its combination code for the next lap.
  • In the Build Driver menu, you can click on the parts themselves to scroll through them faster.
  • Not sure how to build in the Build Car menu? Stay idle for a short period, and help messages will pop up for you.
  • When building your car, you are limited to 30 bricks. Although this is plentiful for most people, don't build unnecessarily.
  • Use the square grid below a part in the Build Car menu to accurately position your pieces.
  • Veronica Voltage can be a tough racer to beat - learn the positions of all the white and green powerups to beat her!
  • Is Veronica Voltage in your way? Just drive right through her, she won't stop you.

During the warp powerup and shortly after, don't press any key. This will make you 'fly' further in some arrival places.

To make the speed of a green powerup last longer, press also the braking key with the acceleration key when the green powerup is finishing.

[citation needed]

Hm, pretty much all I can think of has been said by now. How about:

- Take your foot of the gas when hit by enemy missiles or affected by an oil slick - it will increase the chaces of your car doing a full 360° spin, instead of ending up facing backwards.

- Try and wait with firing your cannon ball until your target activated a turbo boost.

- Use Yellow and Red shields to turn your car into a moving obstacle and block the paths of your opponents on purpose.

EDIT

Doesn't work for me. I'm one of the few people with a 1999 build of the game, though.

I couldn't reproduce this when I tried, it all seems vague to me. (2001 version here)

By the way, that honking trick is pretty cool, didn't know about that one yet.

But it does work.

1.) When you build a warp powerup in Tribal Island, take the green brick from the cave (left of the big lake in the center). When reaching this green powerup brick, take it (so you already got 3 white bricks) and activate it instantly.

Then do not press anything (but maybe turn left by pressing the left arrow). Then you will fly another long way over the land until you reach the ground. This makes you faster because you use the speed of the time warp! Same works e.g. in IGP when you use the first green powerup of the track (near the shortcut).

2.) Just take a green powerup brick with e.g. 1 white brick and activate it. Then press arrow 'up' and arrow 'down' at the same time (same as when you superslide). Then the speed of the green powerup dies away much slower. Works best on straight roads.

But it does work.

1.) When you build a warp powerup in Tribal Island, take the green brick from the cave (left of the big lake in the center). When reaching this green powerup brick, take it (so you already got 3 white bricks) and activate it instantly.

Then do not press anything (but maybe turn left by pressing the left arrow). Then you will fly another long way over the land until you reach the ground. This makes you faster because you use the speed of the time warp! Same works e.g. in IGP when you use the first green powerup of the track (near the shortcut).

2.) Just take a green powerup brick with e.g. 1 white brick and activate it. Then press arrow 'up' and arrow 'down' at the same time (same as when you superslide). Then the speed of the green powerup dies away much slower. Works best on straight roads.

Ah, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant the warp would last longer. The way you explain now is correct; you have the advantage of inertia of your car.

The second explanation still needs some more verification, but I tried it with a level one turbo (no longer lasting effect), not a level two as you show in your example.

2.) works with all green powerups (but not so good with 2 white bricks). There I also don't mean that the rocket itself lasts longer but the speed of it. 

Fluffy Cupcake

On warp exit, from what I've seen, as long as you haven't yet touched the GROUND (emphasized ground because walls not included), you will maintain the speed when not holding the accelerator. But I believe that is what you were just saying. ;)

Next tip list I assembled:

- Avoid getting hit by the hammer in Royal Knights Raceway, stay near the sides of the track when passing it.

- Make sure to grab that green brick in Knightmare-Athon before the boss does! It'll help you give a headstart.

- Acceleration or power doesn't depend on your car design and weight, it's the same for all players. (although I have experienced the steering differing with certain cars)

- Tribal Island Trail only has two green-brick power-ups (hidden), so you'd better plan out your tactics well.

Might add a few more tips later on.

- Acceleration or power doesn't depend on your car design and weight, it's the same for all players.

Definitely not true, at least not for my version of the game.

"use the arrow keys to move"

No, really, I just don't know of any serious tips or strategies for this game.

In fact I was surprised when reading through this thread that tricks like these even existed.

But I think that you should throw in a few joke tips.

Just a few, so they don't outweigh the serious ones.

• Like 1

- Acceleration or power doesn't depend on your car design and weight, it's the same for all players.

Definitely not true, at least not for my version of the game.

Well, I have the 2001 version. I just did some tests with acceleration and engine power (with a brickless car and a full build car), measuring the distance with a single turbo from the start and timing my times on a track with both vehicles (following the same path, no power-ups used), and my conclusion is: no difference. The AI in contrary has a different acceleration and engine power than the players, that's true, but it's not what I'm talking about now. The player has same acceleration and engine power at any time (not counting power-ups).

So I'd like to know how you got to that conclusion :)

1. Though there is little difference, building a car with more bricks will make it heavier with a higher top speed and slower acceleration, and with less bricks, vice versa.

2. Following on from this, brake when using the grappling hook on an opponent to not only stop them in their tracks, but also drag them backwards whilst you are pulled forwards. This is especially useful in one-on-one races/scenarios. Having a heavier car and turning at about 70 degrees to the rope (much further and it will snap) pulls the opponent back faster.

3. If you are parallel to, but slightly further ahead than, an opponent, drive into their side to drastically reduce their speed. Great for encounters with CPUs with similar/slightly faster speeds than you.

4. Use Mummy's Curses on narrow sections of track to annoy the majority of your pursuers...

5. On Alien Rally Asteroid, be sure to grab the shield at the start of the track - you'll avoid being slowed down by the UFO and your opponents will take their time catching up with you.

6. Don't bother using the warp shortcut on Rocket City Run - the warp isn't as long as regular ones and thus you'd do better to get a green brick before the warp and three white bricks when driving past it.

7. For a harder game experience, avoid using green bricks, except when facing Rocket Racer and Veronica Voltage... unless you think you're skilled enough?

EDIT: Regarding the speed/car design debate, when I was experimenting with the grapple trick, a car with fewer bricks was definitely less effective, and this was with the same opponent each time (Redbeard). That, and the game designers mentioned in the developer's journal that realistic physics were added to custom cars. Mine's the 2001 version.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.