Photo

*Might* have found fix for Island issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Le Vee

I will not explain the issues LEGO Island has when running in modern PC, you know it already. So I'll just cut to the chase.

While searching for any info I could find about Voodoo cards and Direct 3D HAL on modern PCs, I came across this Wikipedia article, which had some interesting info on Voodoo cards and the Glide API. The article then lead me here: a site listing a bunch of Glide API wrappers for modern PCs, allowing the old games to be played without a Voodoo card. I've looked at all of them, and the most promising one is nGlide, a wrapper that is still being supported. It even lists Windows 8 as a supported system. I haven't downloaded anything, but I thought I should report it.

noghiri

I'm feeling bored this morning; I'll dig out my old copy of Island and mess around with it, and see if I can get it to work.

tfishell

tfishell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I will not explain the issues LEGO Island has when running in modern PC, you know it already. So I'll just cut to the chase.

While searching for any info I could find about Voodoo cards and Direct 3D HAL on modern PCs, I came across this Wikipedia article, which had some interesting info on Voodoo cards and the Glide API. The article then lead me here: a site listing a bunch of Glide API wrappers for modern PCs, allowing the old games to be played without a Voodoo card. I've looked at all of them, and the most promising one is nGlide, a wrapper that is still being supported. It even lists Windows 8 as a supported system. I haven't downloaded anything, but I thought I should report it.

Sadly, I don't think Lego Island supports Glide. (This might be relevant: http://www.zeus-soft...=9&t=434&p=1745) "The game seems to use the D3DRM.DLL. Apparently it's an old and almost never used ('LEGO Island' comes to my mind) method called the 'Retainend Mode'. Likewise, http://vogons.zetafl...ic.php?t=32958: "Lego Island is Direct3D."

RobExplorien

The game seems to use the D3DRM.DLL

That file was decisive for me to actually get the game to start up, although via this topic I came across this file.

vitawrap

Does this means you can fix the game AND actually edit the game as your wishes?

McJobless

Does this means you can fix the game AND actually edit the game as your wishes?

Could you explain to me how you thought that might be possible?

TWK

I got the game to work on my brothers Windows 7 laptop,I opened up the CD files and found INSTALL.EXE and i just ran in compatibility mode with windows 95,after installing i ran autorun,and went to configure,then i opened the advanced tab err button or whatever it is,and there is a list,by default it should say Direct3D HAL,make it anything except D3D Hal,and the game worked fine,it did randomly crash one time while i was in the police station messing around.