Dino Grand Prix

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Using textures from LR2, I turned Imperial Grand Prix, into Dino Grand Prix! (although there is no dinosaurs in this part of the land... :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuS7rNlAy4c

I did a tiny bit of changes after the recording of this vid, though nothing major.

Enjoy!

DGP.zip

• Like 1

Wow, this is pretty well done!

We can turn LR1 into the real LEGO Racers 2...

But Dino Island was feeling more the "Amazon Adventure" Track (or something like that)

Anyways good job.

You did replace the music also, or you edited video?

What I think that combines with LR2 themes:

Dino Island > Amazon Adventure (IDK the name)

Sandy  Bay > Island Tribal Trail

Xalax > Alien Rally Asteroid

some ideas...

Fluffy Cupcake

Yeah, I know there are tracks it would go better with, but I felt like testing how it worked out on a track that wasn't related to the theme, and it worked well! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I might get around to doing some, but right now I'm ripping the textures for powerups! (much harder than figuring out textures for tracks. -_-)

And as for music, evidentally I added it afterwards if there was a pause in the vid and the music didn't stop. :P I guess I should do a music change to go with it as well, huh? I will put it on my to do list.

Excellent work!  Aside from the Cannon Cove, nearly everything looks and feels like it belongs in the Adventurers Dino Island.  Although, seeing as there are imperial establishments on Adventurers' Island, as shown in the GBC version of LEGO Island 2, it could still work, even with the Cannon Cove.

Although, if I might make a recommendation, when you figure out what textures correspond to the hull of the Imperial Flagship, you might want to color it with the color scheme of the 5976 River Expedition ship.

Fluffy Cupcake

0:10 - that'd be a vertex color in the track's GDB, most likely.

Thankfully the buildings (or towers as they are called in the files) have their own model, but yeah, there is a line in it that says "k_2A    // Vertices with Colors (X,Y,Z,TU,TV,R,G,B,A)" though I have NO IDEA where the actual colors are. :?:  There is just "[172]" on the next line followed by a bunch of bytes and floats.

@PS, aside from the side of the ship, the rest of it uses BLANK.BMP (like lots of other things), and uses a vertex colour just like the part of the building I paused at in the vid. I would do it otherwise.

Fluffy Cupcake

Welp, all I can say for now is that the next update will have it textured in the menu as well as the intro with Capt. Redbeard. As well as custom music. I'm having issues with the music though, so it may or may not take awhile. Updating now, since there is an actually problem and it isn't just me having problems!

What I think that combines with LR2 themes:
Dino Island > Amazon Adventure (IDK the name)
Sandy  Bay > Island Tribal Trail
Xalax > Alien Rally Asteroid
some ideas...

...and Mars to Moon Magma Marathon. That'd be awesome too!

I'm surprised you guys didn't mention Ice Planet Pathway with Arctic. :P (although they are relatively similar...). Also, Sandy Bay may also go good with Pirate Skull Pass.

Fluffy Cupcake

The floats are the vertex locations and the bytes are the colors. [172] means it's an array of 172 vertices :)

If only there was an easier way of telling which is which so I don't have to go through 172 of them... :(

Seeing such progress made in modding this game, I wonder how long it will take until complete new track designs and themes for them can be modded. By the way, you managing to change the starting position of racers made me think. Can you also make the 'wrong way' of the track the 'good way', so you can actually play for example Magma Moon Marathon backwards (and AI's will race backwards too)?

RobExplorien, on 28 Jan 2013 - 15:25, said:

Can you also make the 'wrong way' of the track the 'good way', so you can actually play for example Magma Moon Marathon backwards (and AI's will race backwards too)?

You'd have to flip the direction and order of the checkpoints, reverse the starting positions, and modify the AI paths to go the other way. It's plausible, but for some tracks would be impractical (i.e, anything with a drop that you can't go backwards over). It'd also take a lot of effort.

You'd have to flip the direction and order of the checkpoints, reverse the starting positions, and modify the AI paths to go the other way. It's plausible, but for some tracks would be impractical (i.e, anything with a drop that you can't go backwards over). It'd also take a lot of effort.

Alright, but I think I have to try that a lot later, for I have no experience modding LEGO Racers. I'm going to try and start do some modding basics then, but for that I need to seek for the .JAM first.

The only track where I can think of not being able to ride backwards, is Amazon Adventure Rally.

Fluffy Cupcake

By the way, you managing to change the starting position of racers made me think. Can you also make the 'wrong way' of the track the 'good way', so you can actually play for example Magma Moon Marathon backwards (and AI's will race backwards too)?

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. As origamigui said, this would take a lot of effort, so I was considering making a group project out of this.

Fluffy Cupcake

Hey, thanks a bunch! This definitely will save hours and hours and hours... and hours of doing it manually on large files!

Edit: Works great, though it does make tracks like MMM looks fullbright. This isn't immediately required, but if you have time, possibly make it so you can input your own values?

Edit 2: Btw, not entirely sure why you posted it in my topic (besides my request), as it probably won't get as much attention here. :P

Wa-wa-wait, this removes the shading e.g. the annoying blue shade on MMM that prevents effective texture modding? Or have I read that wrong...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.