• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
So who all here has played the Lego Battles games? To be honest, I love 'em. I think if they can keep changing up the formula to keep things fresh like they did with LB:N, I really wouldn't mind some more sequelage! Sure they aren't exactly deep or challenging, but theyre quick and fun- and really, I don't expect every game to blow my socks off, and it's fine to have a game that's not incredble, but just a fun little timewaster.

And your thoughts?

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
How can you not love a series of LEGO games that can involve classic space astronauts and 90s space androids and Exo-Force robots fighting pirates, ninja, and dwarfs on Mars? :D

I've played both games, and yeah, they're pretty awesome. I've played through most of LEGO Battles (still have yet to finish the Imperials story arc), and I also played through the first act of the Ninja story in LEGO Battles: Ninjago. I love the LEGO Battles games mostly for the sheer awesomeness of the concept: An RTS game involving tons of LEGO characters and themes, from the 70s to present day, duking it out in a bunch of different environments.

Another thing I love is that the series is chock-full of classic LEGO stuff - Islanders, including King Kahuka? Classic Ninja? Governor Broadside from the 80s/90s Pirates theme? 90s Space androids working alongside Mars Mission astronauts? Forestmen/Dark Forest? Imperial Armada? Western? CLASSIC SPACE? YES. And while LEGO Battles: Ninjago doesn't quite have the roster of classic themes as the first game, it did sure pack in a ton of non-Ninjago stuff, like Atlantis, Power Miners, Agents, Collectible Minifigures, the main heroes and villains from the first game... Oh yeah, and it still had classic space. YES.

And while the games were published by TT, they were developed by Hellbent Games, and aside from a couple concepts for collectibles being carried over from TT's licensed titles, the games are pretty unique compared to the other modern LEGO games. That combined with the mish-mashing of various LEGO themes, plus appearances of several classic characters, really makes the series feel like something out of the pre-TT days of LEGO games. And despite using the same engine, LEGO Battles: Ninjago introduced a lot of new stuff that made the gameplay quite different from the original game, almost feeling like an RPG-RTS hybrid at points.

I really only have two big gripes with the series:
1, why the heck is it DS exclusive? The games would be a hundred times better on PC.
2, the pathfinding AI is terrible, at least in the first game. The Rock Raiders units had rather stupid AI, but at least they could move across the map without trouble.

Oh, and the music. Even though the composer seems to be quite copyright-obsessed as far as YouTube uploads of it go, and the DS doesn't have amazing sound quality, there's some really good music throughout the series.

Some other odds and ends as long as we're discussing this series... A LEGO Battles artist put some pretty darn awesome stuff on dA:

http://emosktr.devia...astle-125964452
http://emosktr.devia...nting-125964358
http://emosktr.devia...nting-125964194

Also, a while back I ripped apart the ROM for LEGO Battles (mainly to get at the original music files, which I successfully converted to a usable format thanks to some tools found on the 'net), and along the way I noticed there seems to be an unused test map in the game. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine playing it could be as simple as swapping it around with a level normally playable in the game, then packing up the ROM again, loading it into an emulator, and loading the level you swapped it with.
  • Lair, MrEightThreeOne, LimeKiller and 1 other thanked this

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I agree with all of your sentiments. The mashed of themes is a big reason why the game is so great, and I never knew about al that cool stuff.now if you excuse me, I have a new team to build. It's got ninjas, dwarves, alien robots, evil dragons, pirates and spaceships. If you're not crossing at least 4 themes, you're doing it wrong!

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
In a sea of licensed games, I enjoy this game quite a lot. I haven't played it much though, and I can't find my DS at the moment..

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
So what's the longest game you ever played? If I strip the whole map of resources, settle in every corner of the map, and eliminate every enemy installation, let them rebuild, and then destroying them again until they run out of resources, I can get it close to an hour, maybe over. I can't remember how long exactlly it was. I'll try again right now and see.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
Well, it took me over an hour to beat the level "Incoming!" in LEGO Battles: Ninjago... And like five attempts... But maybe I just suck at RTS games. :P

MrEightThreeOne

I actually do have this game, and even though I'm no RTS junkie, I really have enjoyed it. I haven't gotten very far in the game, but it was just so refreshing to finally see a LEGO game that isn't based off of a movie, rather something fresh. It's quite a pity the game is so overlooked, but it certainly doesn't help it's a handheld exclusive. Like jamesster said, if it had a PC version, I would buy it without question.
  • BerixMaster2010 thanked this

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Jamesster. That mission took me 11 minutes. Two tries on hard mode. And I didn't use any red bricks whatsoever. I think you just suck.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

That mission took me 11 minutes.

I'd love to see a video of this. Seriously. :P

Also, would anybody with LB:N happen to have all the cutscene codes? If so, could you please post them? Last I looked, I couldn't find them online, and I'd like to see the rest of the cutscenes in high quality on LEGO.com.

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Jamesster, I tried recording some video proof and ended up doing it in 7 minutes instead. Uh, sorry. Video will be up shortly.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
Hah, this is gonna be amusing. :D Also, I found some chat logs of when I was ranting to Lair about trying to beat the level (most of the unrelated conversation snipped out, and the rest spoiler'd due to length):

Spoiler

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
While I admit in the take I filmed I got lucky on the attacking skeletons, I have had times where I wasn't however, for a player like me who usually has a few heroes out at that point, it isn't impossible. Actually, they attacked early in the a previous, but I scrapped that video, because I messed up later on and that killed the speeeeeed. Basically, you have to dash like a madman and you'll be okay.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
... Ok, so, uh, where's the video? :P

Pranciblad

Pranciblad

Out here in the universe

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
It might be a while. Uploading mobily is downright impossible in my case, and I can't use the desktop yet because I don't want to wake anybody up since its still 2:35 am at the time I post this! It's coming, I swear!

McJobless

As soon as you see my name in a topic, you know things are going to go downhill from here on in.

I'm not enjoying it. Got it as a gift, and after a little bit I traded it in for some Mario Mushroom candy and a Pacman Arcade Machine candy. True, it is different, and different can be good, but I simply don't enjoy playing this. I get bored too quickly. Something like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, however, was pretty close to getting me attached to the RTS genre (until it pulled a mission involving destroying an entire army and two nigh invulnerable fences out of its arse...), and much better IMO.