How To Get Lego Racers To Work In Windows Vista

Modded Lego

Ok, I am trying to get Lego Racers to work with windows vista. My old computer bit the dust because it's hard drive failed! (Windows XP) I had it working before on the windows xp computer but can't get it to work on windows vista.

Every time I try to start the game it tells me that it cant find the 3d device! :rf: I have the 1999 version of the game because I want to play it and get the trophies. Does anybody know how to get this game to work on windows vista? :?:

THX! :af:

Oh no, not again.

If you will recall, I had a time and a half trying to get 1999 Racers to run on the Vista machine I used. I did everything, compatibility, admin, forced 480p and 256 color, parameter flags (-novideo, such like that), never got it working. I ended up using my 2001 version and doing anything that required 1999 on our Win7 Desktop until I started using Windowx 8. However, this could have just been my machine, since it had a faulty nVidia GPU that could break any minute. Do as origamiguy and anyone else suggests (except for the "update to 7" or "get XP back" stuff. Friends don't let friends use XP, and if you don't have the money to get 7, don't sweat it. ;))

I'll see about writing a LEGO Racers Alternate Installer. It may help, and I've been meaning to make one anyway. :)

Yeah... you might have to upgrade to Windows 7. Windows Vista is not exactly known for compatibility...

I'm sure there's a fix for it. Good luck.

However, since your problem is with the GPU, then it may just be an issue with your graphics card drivers. If it's an integrated card then you're probably out of luck, though.

I finally found the fix for The LEGO Racers incompadibility in windows vista. Here it goes it's going to be quite long so bear with me. OK

1.First download the official Microsoft Application Compadibility Toolkit, Here is the Link for the download:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352

2.Install it and then run it, Make a new custom database by clicking the new button on the top in the toolbar.

3.Then click the fix button after you have highlighted the new custom database you have made.

4.Name your database LEGO Racers, then put LEGO Media as the vendor of the game. Next Browse your computer for the main executable for the game (It should be called LEGORacers.exe) Once you find it click on it.

5.Click next, then set it to run in windows 98 compadability mode (I know what you are thinking "Wait I thought LEGO Racers ran in windows xp") Well you are partially right, the 2001 version ran in both windows xp and windows 98, but only the 1999 version ran only in windows 98. Becasue if you use windows xp compadability it says that it can't find a 3d device so just use windows 98.

6. Next check these additional compadability settings:

• Disable DWM
  • Disable Fade Animations
  • Disable NXHide UI
  • Disable NXShow UI
  • Disable Theme Menus
  • Disable Themes
  • FDR

If you do not check these additional settings it will say again that it cannot find a 3d device, DON'T PANIC, your graphics card hasn't blown up, it's just telling you that becasue you are running Windows Vista and not Windows 98, this is why you must trick it to think you are on Windows 98 with these aditional settings.

7. Click Next, And Then Next Again and finally click finish. Or you can run a test run of the program. To do this go back twice and Click test run, Then find the LEGO Racers Executable Again and then put the extension -novideo in the command line if you want to skip the video's (By the way I fixed the LEGO video with the falling lego peices, now instead of black it shows the video! It turns out the the windows desktop manager was messing up that video, it's weird that it didn't mess up the others. :S )

8.After testing it and it works then click finish. (If it didn't work let me know because I tested this and got all the bugs out of it) Next click on the package that you made under your custom database and then click file on the taskbar above and then install. This will install the compadability settings you just made onto the game's executable (So you don't always have to keep going into the application compadability utility to run the game, you can just run the executable). You can uninstall these compadability settings at any time since they are not permanent. To do this right click on the installed package under The installed packages tab and click uninstall. This will then uninstall all the compadability settings and restore the exe to it's original form..

9.After you do all of this exit out of the utility and make a shortcut of the game's executable to your desktop.

10.Then right click the shortcut and click properties, then click on the shortcut target box and add these extensions:

• -novideo - This is only required if you do not want to see the video's every time you start up.
  • -horzres XXXX - The x's stand for the resolution of your screen horizontally, again this is not required but it makes the graphics better (By the way the menus and text will be small if you stretch it to your screen, hopefully someone makes a mod that fixes this soon.)
  • -vertres XXXX - The x's stand for the resolution of your screen vertically

Make sure you do not go above the resolution of your screen or use resolutions that are not normal resolutions. For example, 800 x 600 is a normal resolution whereas 492 x 119 is not (Go by your control panel display setting bar that sets the resolution of your screen for common resolutions) If you do not follow this template the game will crash and say that it doesn't have enough video memory, we all know this is not true and that it is just the game can't have that resolution because the resolution doesn't fit your screen or you used an unknown resolution. Another thing you must have is that the horzres extension mus come first and then have vertres after that, do this or the game will also crash and give you the same error.

11.Once you are in the game there is one bug that is very annoying, you will not be able to change controls, becasue once you click on player 1 or player 2 controls the game will crash. This is only for the 1999 version however.

12. Here is the solution that I have used and that has worked for me, if anyone else has any other solutions please post it here in this forum, thx. Now on to the solution:

FIrst if you have the 2001 version of the game, install it and run it. (If you don't then you are pretty out of luck, Since none of the compadability settings fix this,If anyone has another solution to this bug please post it) Go to options and then set the controls the way you want them. ( If the game won't start for you, use windows xp compadability by right clicking on the executable and click on the compadability tab and set it to windows xp SP1, 2 ,or 3 it doesn't matter). After you have set the controls exit the game and go to the main directory of the game LEGO Racers. Copy the save folder and paste it in your 1999 directory (Keep in mind that this will overwrite anything you have done in the 1999 version if you already have it working, but i'm guessing you don't if you are reading this! :P ) Then start up the 1999 version of lego racers, you should have the same controls you had when you changed it in the 2001 version. You will still be able to gain trophies even though you have a 2001 savegame (I think, this needs confirmation since I didn't have time to try this.)

13.After that ENJOY YOUR LEGO RACERS 1999 VERSION OF THE GAME!!!

If you have any questions or have any bugs or errors from following this guide, please post them here, THX AND HAVE A GOOD TIME! :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.