Rock Racers Overhaul (WIP)

Jimbob

Is it possible to make custom maps which you can modify? 'Cause then you could make a sort of looped Run the Gauntlet... :P

Custom maps aren't possible, but with the fairly recent discovery of object modding we can at least redesign much of the maps.

I'd very much like to have a go at it, I just haven't worked on this for a little while as I've been preoccupied with other things. But when I do get back into this, I'll be sure to have custom object layouts :)

• 1 month later...

Some feedback:

Sparks has a pegleg. WHY??? And his face occasionally changes (in the cutscene) to Redbeard's.

There's a waterfall in Crystal Fort that doesn't fit. Either get rid of it or replace it with the RR water texture. Of course, this might not be possible, but...

Dynamite... could that possible be replaced with the RR dynamite?

With the Small Spiders that you drop, it doesn't seem right to have them jumping up and disappearing.

This is awesome. Truly awesome. The way you rounded that corner there Keep on going with this! :D

And his face occasionally changes (in the cutscene) to Redbeard's.

He probably hasn't replace the face expression textures to Sparks' yet.

Some feedback:

1) Sparks has a pegleg. WHY???

2) And his face occasionally changes (in the cutscene) to Redbeard's.

3) There's a waterfall in Crystal Fort that doesn't fit. Either get rid of it or replace it with the RR water texture. Of course, this might not be possible, but...

4) Dynamite... could that possible be replaced with the RR dynamite?

5) With the Small Spiders that you drop, it doesn't seem right to have them jumping up and disappearing.

6) This is awesome. Truly awesome. The way you rounded that corner there Keep on going with this! :D

1) His peg-leg is part of the model, rather than a texture, and at the time I wasn't sure how to replace his legs with someone else's. I'll look back into fixing it :)

2) See Shadowblaze's comment below.

3) I can't remember if it uses a texture, if so then I'll be sure to use the RR water texture. If not I could try recolouring it or something.

4) Great idea, although it may have to be the dynamite sticks (the 1x2 tiles) rather than the ones in the game. Unless the dynamite is a 3D model rather than a texture, in which case it'd be more difficult...

5) I think I had a previous comment saying that you couldn't see the spiders clearly on the floor, but I agree having them float up and disappear is a bit odd. I'll take another look at the textures.

6) Thank you! All the current modifications (the stuff I did, not Creator's work which has always been excellent) I plan on redoing once I've actually finished all the tracks, as I consider it all one big draft that I'll tidy up later.

And his face occasionally changes (in the cutscene) to Redbeard's.

He probably hasn't replace the face expression textures to Sparks' yet.

Yep, I haven't worked on the expressions. With the renders I did for my forum pack, I was able to create a few different expressions without much difficulty, so I will be giving them facial expressions at some point. :thumbsup:

1) His peg-leg is part of the model, rather than a texture, and at the time I wasn't sure how to replace his legs with someone else's. I'll look back into fixing it :)

It shouldn't be hard, I think. Just replace the pegleg model with the normal pants' one.

It shouldn't be hard, I think. Just replace the pegleg model with the normal pants' one.

I've done that with the in-game model, the difficult part for me is finding the one used in the menu, namely in character creation. I don't know where they're stored, and I've looked into the LEGS.MDB files and other ones like that (I think that's what they were called, can't remember) but couldn't find anything useful.

I've done that with the in-game model, the difficult part for me is finding the one used in the menu, namely in character creation. I don't know where they're stored, and I've looked into the LEGS.MDB files and other ones like that (I think that's what they were called, can't remember) but couldn't find anything useful.

Ah, what a bummer! I didn't think that they could have used two different models for different situations. Well I can't help you searching that file right now because I haven't installed the game on one of the working computers (this one or the old messy one).

• 2 months later...

Ok. I've replayed this again.

Crystal Fort

Wow... did you really swap Willa (in her airship) with a slug? WHY?

The torches in Crystal Fort seem to follow which way you are facing...

I think that the dragon there could be replaced with something like a Rock Monster?

The RR logo on various posts seems to be detached from the post itself... Go sideways to it and you'll see what I mean. Also the crystals (in the first castle) follow you too.

Those sliding things on the top of the castle... What're those for? You don't need to have something moving just because you can.

In the castle at the beginning of the map, there are too many pictures of Chief posing for the same thing. Also, that cauldron could be replaced with a large Slimy Slug head (That's just an idea - if you have a better way to exploit the rolling function, go ahead)

There's too much turquoise in the first castle. I think it should be dark grey and that little band (now yellow) should be turquoise.

The 'crystals on chains' idea doesn't seem to work for me. What's the point of having them there? Can you not just have nothing at the end of the chains?

The 'slimy slug' area has too many holes for it. Having that many holes is never seen anywhere, especially as there are no slugs nearby.

Also, changing Willa's laugh to the slimy slug 'ooh, ooooOOh' noise might work well.

Changing the sky colour to a cavern roof might look nice, 'cause then the pillars would make sense.

Ice Exploration

The ice textures on the side of the road seem to clash often, with jarring lines as one abrubtly ends and another begins...

The obelisks could be replaced by those ice pillars. Those palm trees (in the original) things.. can you just remove them?

Inside the thingy at the beginning of the race, I've noticed that a) a lot of hieroglyphic stuff still remains, and b) the reinforced solid rock texture is slightly too short so it duplicates the bottom up near the top. This looks awful.

I'm not sure if you could do much about this, but it is fairly blocky inside the thingy and thus this doesn't suit RR walls.

Going inside the first shortcut, something seems to have glitched with the textures at the very beginning of it. Also, the oasis could be replaced by ice.

Still in the shortcut area, those Recharge Seams are cut off half-way and look awful.

Those recoloured tents just don't seem right. Perhaps they could be some rocks, but they're just too angular for RR...

That ice shortcut is great. It's almost a shame to smash it. :P But having the Sphinx there doesn't really work...

More coming because it's quarter to ten and I should really go to bed...

This might seem like all negative feedback, but this is a great mod. :D I can see it becoming really good later. :D

Thanks for your feedback, aidenpons. While I'm only in charge of making PWB layouts and texturing the AI opponents' cars [Any feedback with regards to those, btw?], I'd still like to respond to some of your criticisms with regards to the maps themselves.

First of all, it should be noted that Ice Exploration is just a nasty and unfinished beta version. We know that the textures still need work. When it comes to the palm trees, well, we can remove them now, but the necessary techniques hadn't yet been developed when we last worked on this track. There isn't much wen can do about the blockiness inside the temple-passage, unfortunately, because that's the way it exists :- The same applies to the rotating torches and the weird, floating logos, sadly.

When it comes to me, I'm currently in the process of replacing some of the A.I. characters and their cars for the Theme Overhaul mod, but when JimbobJeffers needs me for something, anything related to Rock Racers, I will be there to assist him, because I love this project as well! xD

For my 1,001st post, I present to you a response to your comments! :P

Firstly, thanks for your feedback aidenpons, I really appreciate it and it's great to see people still playing this barely-started mod. :) Now...

Crystal Fort

1. Wow... did you really swap Willa (in her airship) with a slug? WHY?

2. The torches in Crystal Fort seem to follow which way you are facing...

3. I think that the dragon there could be replaced with something like a Rock Monster?

4. The RR logo on various posts seems to be detached from the post itself... Go sideways to it and you'll see what I mean. Also the crystals (in the first castle) follow you too.

5. Those sliding things on the top of the castle... What're those for? You don't need to have something moving just because you can.

6. In the castle at the beginning of the map, there are too many pictures of Chief posing for the same thing. Also, that cauldron could be replaced with a large Slimy Slug head (That's just an idea - if you have a better way to exploit the rolling function, go ahead)

7. There's too much turquoise in the first castle. I think it should be dark grey and that little band (now yellow) should be turquoise.

8. The 'crystals on chains' idea doesn't seem to work for me. What's the point of having them there? Can you not just have nothing at the end of the chains?

9. The 'slimy slug' area has too many holes for it. Having that many holes is never seen anywhere, especially as there are no slugs nearby.

10. Also, changing Willa's laugh to the slimy slug 'ooh, ooooOOh' noise might work well.

11. Changing the sky colour to a cavern roof might look nice, 'cause then the pillars would make sense.

Ice Exploration

The ice textures on the side of the road seem to clash often, with jarring lines as one abrubtly ends and another begins...

The obelisks could be replaced by those ice pillars. Those palm trees (in the original) things.. can you just remove them?

Inside the thingy at the beginning of the race, I've noticed that a) a lot of hieroglyphic stuff still remains, and b) the reinforced solid rock texture is slightly too short so it duplicates the bottom up near the top. This looks awful.

I'm not sure if you could do much about this, but it is fairly blocky inside the thingy and thus this doesn't suit RR walls.

Going inside the first shortcut, something seems to have glitched with the textures at the very beginning of it. Also, the oasis could be replaced by ice.

Still in the shortcut area, those Recharge Seams are cut off half-way and look awful.

Those recoloured tents just don't seem right. Perhaps they could be some rocks, but they're just too angular for RR...

That ice shortcut is great. It's almost a shame to smash it. :P But having the Sphinx there doesn't really work...

1. Because slugs love crystals! I don't know, who else would you choose?

2. That's not my fault, that's the game's attempt to use 2D textures in a 3D way.

3. I would love to do this, but it would require model editing. I don't mean actual 3D modelling, rather I'll see if I can find a large 2D texture somewhere (as mentioned above) and give it a Rock Monster texture, perhaps.

4. Can't remember those textures now, but again it might be the game's fault. I'll check it out.

5. I'm meaning to replace those, particularly with object editing now. But they're animated, so why not use them? :)

6. If you play the vanilla game, you'll see those pictures are all the same too. Perhaps this can be object edited as well, I dunno. Slimy Slug head? Ew :P But yeah, I'll find something.

7. I agree. I'll change it, thanks.

8. No idea why I did that, I could do bats or something?

9. Maybe it's their habitat? I'm not sure how easy it is to change it, other than removing the textures completely.

10. Who knows, maybe I've already begun sound editing already? DUN DUN DUUUUN ;)

11. Thanks, nice idea.

I won't respond to the Ice Exploration feedback, as Creator answered it very well (thanks Creator). I know, there's a LOT of work to do on it.

Again, thank you very much for your comments!

Thanks for your feedback, aidenpons. While I'm only in charge of making PWB layouts and texturing the AI opponents' cars [Any feedback with regards to those, btw?], I'd still like to respond to some of your criticisms with regards to the maps themselves.

First of all, it should be noted that Ice Exploration is just a nasty and unfinished beta version. We know that the textures still need work. When it comes to the palm trees, well, we can remove them now, but the necessary techniques hadn't yet been developed when we last worked on this track. There isn't much wen can do about the blockiness inside the temple-passage, unfortunately, because that's the way it exists :- The same applies to the rotating torches and the weird, floating logos, sadly.

When it comes to me, I'm currently in the process of replacing some of the A.I. characters and their cars for the Theme Overhaul mod, but when JimbobJeffers needs me for something, anything related to Rock Racers, I will be there to assist him, because I love this project as well! xD

As aforementioned, thank you for replying. :) You know what? This has provided a much-needed boost, perhaps I'll dig this project out of the closet again and do some more to it, so thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Erm i know how to recompile now but whre do you have to put these files in which file? In gamedata or Menudata?

Gamedata is the files during gameplay (races), menudata is the files when doing things through the menu.

Think logic. (Hint: You'll want to see it while you play a race)

Oh my apologies, I forgot that this mod's current release is a PatchIt! one, I don't think it has a manual install option.

You should be able to download this mod and install it with >PatchIt! instead of having to recompile the game yourself, just make sure you follow the instructions in that topic carefully.

Perhaps I should take this moment to say that unfortunately I lost all the Rock Racers files a few months ago. I can't remember if I've said this already, but my very old WinXP laptop which contained all the mod's data (among many other mods) randomly decided to stop booting up and finally kicked the bucket. I can of course continue this mod using the download in this topic, but it doesn't have all the organisation of my original setup, the original files I was working with, nor the updates I had started working on.

Ah well, it's a minor blow that I can definitely recover from some day. :)

• Like 2

Oh my apologies, I forgot that this mod's current release is a PatchIt! one, I don't think it has a manual install option.

You should be able to download this mod and install it with >PatchIt! instead of having to recompile the game yourself, just make sure you follow the instructions in that topic carefully.

Perhaps I should take this moment to say that unfortunately I lost all the Rock Racers files a few months ago. I can't remember if I've said this already, but my very old WinXP laptop which contained all the mod's data (among many other mods) randomly decided to stop booting up and finally kicked the bucket. I can of course continue this mod using the download in this topic, but it doesn't have all the organisation of my original setup, the original files I was working with, nor the updates I had started working on.

Ah well, it's a minor blow that I can definitely recover from some day. :)

This is the second time a reupload I did has saved a mod from being lost. :o I need to start back on my mod backups then..

You forget, PatchIt is designed to also support manual installation. While you still need to recompile you JAM with the 2001 version (it's on my TODO list!), you only need 7-Zip to manually install the files ;). But is using PatchIt really that hard still? :(

I recall you mentioning that either on chat or in a blog post (or either privately to me, if not all three ;P). Don't sweat it, I'm sure you will be able to restart once you get the chance. You usually do. :)

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.