Rock Racers Overhaul (WIP)

Jimbob

I'd like to make an overhaul mod for Lego Racers which changes all the themes to Rock Raiders-related ones. For instance, tracks will be re-textured to the biomes seen in the LRR game, and characters will be changed to look like LRR characters. Due to college and other distractions, this will probably take a while...

Download
The latest version of Rock Racers is v1.0.3.1, which can be downloaded below.

Rock Racers v1.0.3.1

Note: This is a >PatchIt! installation, but can be installed without it - just follow the Advanced Installation steps below.

Credit and a big thanks to Creator for making some epic custom PWBs and opponent car designs, as well as his continued friendly support.
Credit to for his LRR minifigure textures.

Update Log

Any entry followed by [username] represents a contribution from that user.

UPDATE V1.03.1

- Fixed files to have proper uppercase extension [le717]
- Updated to support PatchIt! Version 1.1.1 Stable [le717]

UPDATE V1.03
- Crystal Fort (KMT) added [JimbobJeffers]
- Ice Exploration (DAD) added (Unfinished, rather messy) [JimbobJeffers]
- Standard opponents changed Power Miners [Creator]
- Opponent cars recoloured [Creator]
- Opponent minifigures retextured [JimbobJeffers]
- SRF files updated [JimbobJeffers]
- Two new powerup textures [JimbobJeffers]
- Bandit's car replaced with modified Veronica Voltage's car [Creator]
- Captain Redbeard's car retextured and recoloured [Creator]
- Powerup layouts completed for Circuit 1 [Creator]
- Voices changed for standard opponents [Creator]

UPDATE V1.02
- AI opponents changed to standard Rock Raiders [JimbobJeffers]
- Background changed to grey brick background [JimbobJeffers]
- Chief's Challenge opponents changed to bosses [JimbobJeffers]
- Custom PWB layouts for MMM, RKR and RRR [Creator]
- IGD for MMM, RKR and RRR redesigned to scanner [JimbobJeffers]
- Mars Marathon (MMM) added [JimbobJeffers]

Advanced Installation Instructions

1. Extract the LEGO.JAM file with a suitable extractor.

2. Extract the files in the download ZIP file. Inside you should find another ZIP file, along with a PiP file. Extract this zip file too.

3. Copy both the MENUDATA and GAMEDATA files contained within, and paste them into your extracted LEGO.JAM folder, so that they merge and replace the necessary files within.

4. Recompile the LEGO.JAM file and run the game.

Screenshots (nothing is final)

Menu (V1.0.2)
gallery_5738_269_180775.png

Test Track (V1.0.1)
gallery_5738_269_21075.png

Royal Knights Raceway (V1.0.1)
gallery_5738_269_171753.png

Magma Moon Marathon (V1.0.2)
gallery_5738_269_208425.png

Creator's Playthrough Videos

Mars Marathon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0cpeNdVR0

Crystal Fort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImTxhARk58

Chief's Challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNvrkwVVBjY

PatchIt-Compatible.png

• Like 3

Racing a Chrome Crusher would be funny. Guess why.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of that...

Then again, surely such a thing isn't possible? But if it is, that's definitely going on my list ;)

Racing a Chrome Crusher would be funny. Guess why.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of that...

Someone get this guy a copy of "The Race" now!

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=Comics#Loader_Dozer_Comic

Interesting. I can't wait to see first screenshots of the tracks. Mond Magma Marathon getting a rock raiders overhaul is something I can sort of imagine, buut what about Royal Knights Raceway, or Desert Adventure Dragway?

I could help with textures, if you want

Yes, please, that would be very helpful! e342154.png

Interesting. I can't wait to see first screenshots of the tracks. Mond Magma Marathon getting a rock raiders overhaul is something I can sort of imagine, buut what about Royal Knights Raceway, or Desert Adventure Dragway?

How's this? I've been experimenting with importing LRR textures into LR, you can see screenshots in the spoiler below. What you see definitely isn't permanent, I just wanted to see how the textures would look in-game.

gallery_5738_269_51205.png

You can clearly see the textures from LRR in here, albeit poorly added in.

gallery_5738_269_3226.png

The power up bricks have been given the electrical texture from Electric Fences.

gallery_5738_269_305633.png

I'd love to have a copy of the original background in this image (without the text).

What do you think?

This is great, I can't wait for more! I'll see if I can add these in tomorrow (darn college work).

Perhaps I'll get to work on the actual models of the cars and racers. Sparks is really deformed right now in the menu screen...

That's fine e342154.png Faces are the most defining features of a person, after all.

I have another update. I've been working on Chief's Challenge (Rocket Racer Run), and also the powerup HUD:

gallery_5738_269_179123.png

I have a couple of things to sort out with it, in particular the recolouring of the holder and I need to make powerups more individual.

Woah okay this is starting to come together now

Thanks, although I've not done much in the past few days, due to college and other Lego projects, but I will be updating it soon. Plus I may as well take it slow, as I'd like to take advantage of any modding discoveries in the future.

Obviously this needs to be called "Lego Rock Racers".

Haha, I had thought of that! I just wasn't sure if it was too tacky, or confusing. But I'll change the title :)

How are you expecting to change the boss's car models?

Good question. Answer is, at the moment anyway - no idea!

With Cyrem's racer importer/exporter, it's certainly possible to extract custom cars, but obviously the file type is unique. I'm starting to learn hex editing, so if it isn't discovered before I get the chance, I'll be having a look at the hex code. Although right now some more experienced modder is probably laughing at me, "Ha! You have no idea what you're talking about."

> Ha! You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cyrem's importer/exporter applies to the player-made drivers and cars, which are stored in an entirely different format from the NPC drivers/cars. The NPC formats aren't really well documented or understood yet.

Good luck.

> Ha! You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cyrem's importer/exporter applies to the player-made drivers and cars, which are stored in an entirely different format from the NPC drivers/cars. The NPC formats aren't really well documented or understood yet.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll probably just shut up about modding for the next few weeks, and continue texturing ;)

Back to the topic, I have an update! Nothing major, it just adds a more-complete Royal Knights Raceway (with custom a PWB) and the Test Track, along with a bit of Chief's Challenge. I've updated the download in the original post*, along with screenshots of the two main tracks.

*I switched the host from RRU to Dropbox, as I didn't want to spam it with files.

Looks good, I like it. Just wondering what those two white bricks on the grass near the beginning of Royal Knight's Raceway are good for...

Looks good, I like it. Just wondering what those two white bricks on the grass near the beginning of Royal Knight's Raceway are good for...

I thought the player may be able to prey on them, but if you think they're unnecessary I'll happily remove them :)

That's a point, I forgot to ask - El Scorcho, please could you send me Sparks' face texture?

Updated to version 1.02. This adds Mars Marathon, a remake of Magma Moon Marathon, although the blue shading doesn't help the orange textures show through. In this track are some images from my own LDD designs.

In addition, Creator has been making some epic PWB layouts for this mod, and this update includes his powerup layouts for Molten Valley, Mars Marathon and Chief's Challenge. The layouts are designed to exemplify the personalities of the bosses in those races, while posing an additional challenge from the original game - I must congratulate Creator on his work e342154.png

Other updates include the menu background being changed from the original cave to a grey version of the original game's background. This was to stop the clash between the menu's text and the cave's text. Chief's Challenge has been remade into a boss race, featuring all racers but Sparks. And the standard AI opponents are now Rock Raiders - this won't stop the player from customising their character as the menu textures are separate. Custom In-Game-Displays have been made for the minimaps in the three races, too.

Screenshots and a download link have been added to the original post, as well as this screenshot below. It I just wanted to show how LDD designs will be used in the game, as I'd like feedback on whether or not it works (for other examples you'll have to play the race, although some textures need their transparencies fixed):

gallery_5738_269_93150.png

In this track are some images from my own LDD designs

LDD stinks for stuff like this, mainly because of very stiff and fail minifig. Use something better (and not the LDraw fig either). Download a true 3D minifig, pose it, and use that instead. My brother rioforce has published a few (just his early ones, he has better ones now), and has a whole site teaching the beginnings of Blender 2.6, and there are plenty elsewhere on the web. If you don't want to model stuff, use the Blender 2.6 LDraw script linked on here. Of course, if you want to use LDD, fine by me too. ;)

I need to download this pack now. It looks really cool, and perhaps I'll learn more about LRR in the process. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.