Tutorial: Modding Opponents

Jimbob

This is a step-by-step tutorial on editing various aspects of the AI opponents. As I learn more (which I plan to do for my overhaul mod), I will update this tutorial.

Modding Opponents 1: Changing the Models

You can change the model an AI opponent uses in-game, as well as the texture it references, by following these simple steps (assuming you have already extracted the game). This section builds on information discovered by CaptainGolem in this thread.

1. Navigate to GAMEDATACOMMON.

2. Find the pelvis files of the character you want to change your model to, e.g. RRPELVIS. There are three different versions of this file - .GDB, .MDB, and .TDB.

3. Copy these files somewhere else. Rename them to the character you want to replace, e.g. CRPELVIS.

4. Open the .MDB and .TDB files in a suitable code editor, such as Notepad++.

5. (Optional) Find the section referencing the original character's texture, in this example it would be rr_mat. Rename this to the MAT texture of the character you wish to replace. In this example, it would be cr_mat.

6. Save the files and copy all three files back into GAMEDATACOMMON, replacing the originals.

7. You can then modify the MAT textures you referenced to match the new model, recompile the mod and run it (see my tutorial here for help with re-texturing).

Enter the relevant race, and the character will be replaced!

Note: Sometimes there is more than one reference to the texture in the files. You will need to find all references to it. Also, some MAT textures are also referenced in the GDB file, in which case it must be changed there too.

Modding Opponents 2: Changing the Texture Names

You can use textures with their own names in your mods, rather than replacing current names. For instance, you could have Captain Redbeard use BOB_MAT.BMP for his MAT texture rather than CR_MAT.BMP.

1. Open all three pelvis files for the desired character in a suitable program, such as Notepad++. These files will be prefixed with the initials of your character (e.g. CRPELVIS) and there are three types - .TDB, .GDB and .MDB.

2. Find all references to the character's MAT texture (in this example, cr_mat). Replace them with your custom texture's file name, excluding the .BMP (so here it would be bob_mat).

3. Save and close the files.

Modding Opponents 3: Changing the In-Game Names

1. Navigate to GAMEDATACOMMONENGLISH and open the DRIVERS.SRF file in the SRF Editor.

2. You will see a list of names for all the characters in the game. Simply replace the name of any racer with your desired name.

3. Save the file, and close the SRF Editor.

Modding Opponents 4: Changing the Menu Names
Note: This only applies to boss racers.

1. Navigate to MENUDATAENGLISH and open the MENUTEXT.SRF file in the SRF Editor.

2. Scroll down about a third of the way, and you will see the names of the boss racers. Replace these names with your desired names.

3. Save the file, and close the SRF Editor.

For a downloadable example of all three sections, please see my overhaul mod.

• Like 3

Also updated to include information on using MAT textures with their own names.

I'm sure that the same can be done with all the CHST, DFLT, etc textures, the right file just needs to be found.

Wow I didnt see that you posted this. So if I want to change a persons hat what would I have to do? Do I have to change all of the pelvis files?

Wow I didnt see that you posted this. So if I want to change a persons hat what would I have to do? Do I have to change all of the pelvis files?

I haven't worked out individual parts yet. At the moment, you'd need to find a racer with the parts you want - so if you want a helmet and normal body, go with Rocket Racer - and switch the pelvis files with them. You can then re-texture the model to your desired look. Bear in mind that the MAT textures are arranged differently depending on the character.

You might have to update the SRF Builder part because the program works slightly differently now.

Thanks for reminding me, it's updated now :) Well done on making the tool much easier and user-friendly, by the way!

• 3 weeks later...
BabylonRaiderz

A couple of questions: First off, can this be used to place characters and cars you created (what I mean is, make the AI use characters and cars you created)? And second, this may be off topic but I'll ask anyway. Is it possible to make the AI more challenging (like making them faster and such)?

1. Can this be used to place characters and cars you created (what I mean is, make the AI use characters and cars you created)?

2. This may be off topic but I'll ask anyway. Is it possible to make the AI more challenging (like making them faster and such)?

1. Currently, no. Cyrem has a great tool that exports cars you create, but it's in a custom format of his.

2. You can make the AI harder by changing the powerup brick layouts; there are several requests for improved speed around but I think it's also a no at the moment :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Black Boy said:

Is it possible to change the cars as well?

um yes but with extreme difficulty...

got a bucketload of time on your hands? everything else you need is Notepad++

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.