Tutorial: Changing car sound

Noob Slayer

Have you ever noticed that you (the player) has a lower, rumbling engine, and the AI has a higher sounding engine? You can change this.

In GAMEDATACOMMON, you will find a file called GENERAL.SBK. Open it in notepad and all you have to do is scroll down until you find an entry called engine.pcm. That is the player's engine sound. All you have to do is substitute eengine.pcm (the AI engine), and you will have their engine sound. To give the AI the player's engine sound, scroll down to the bottom of the SBK file until you find the second eengine.pcm entry. Change it to engine.pcm and the 2 engine sounds will be swapped!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried every of the 80 sounds in the GENERAL.SBK and now created a list of which sound is what:

80 Amount
321.pcm 3,2,1 sound or Kahuka's honk
block.pcm sound when sth. hits the shields
brake1.pcm brake of player
brake2.pcm brake of player
btmout.pcm hit sth. hard
canhit.pcm hitting bullet e.g. in Race 2 of Basil's Circuit
cansht.pcm launching bullet (not from player or opponent)
cansus.pcm Basil Race flying bomber at end-sound
cursehit.pcm curse while driving
cursesus.pcm curse of mummy 'gate'
engine.pcm player's engine
enhan01.pcm collected 1 white brick
enhan02.pcm collected 2 white bricks
enhan03.pcm collected 3 white bricks
form.pcm Respawn of power ups
go.pcm GO!-Sound
gpwdrdrp.pcm two vehicles scratching with their sides against each other (thanks to RobExplorien)
gpwdrsus.pcm Yellow and 1 White: flying backwards
grphit.pcm grapple Metal Hit
grppull.pcm grapple pulling
grprel.pcm another sound of grapple
grpsht.pcm throw grapple
grpsnap.pcm Metal grapple Fail
grpsus.pcm another sound of grapple
hitcar.pcm car hit sound
hitenv.pcm ANother hit sound
horn01.pcm Player 1 Honk
horn02.pcm whistling honk (high-low)
horn03.pcm Player 2 honk
horn04.pcm Old Honk with Kinda Fail
horn05.pcm Old working Honk
horn06.pcm Redbeard's Honk
idle.pcm player engine in idle position
mdrop.pcm place 'Yellow with 2 White bricks'
mmine.pcm 'Yellow with 2 w. bricks" tractor beam sound
mtrap.pcm caught in tractor beam
octact0.pcm Green (0 white) startup
octact1.pcm Green (1 white) startup
octact2.pcm Green (2 white) Startup
octact3.pcm Green (3 white) Warp sound Startup
octexp0.pcm green (0 white) extinguish
octexp3.pcm Come out of Time Warp
octsus0.pcm light rumble sound, Belongs to Green0
octsus1.pcm light rumble sound, Belongs to Green 1 White
octsus2.pcm flying rumble sound, Belongs to Green 2 White
octsus3.pcm belongs to TimeWarp, same as octsus2
oildrp.pcm drop Oil (yellow0)
oilhit.pcm opponents slipping on oil
oilsus.pcm oil bubbling
power.pcm drive through time warp
rockhit.pcm rocket (red, 3 white) hit
rocksht.pcm Rocket launching
rocksus.pcm (Rocket flying sound) Unknown to me
shield1.pcm Blue 1 white shield sound
skid.pcm Unknown Sound???
skrcar.pcm Dangling car sound (fast hits)
skrenv.pcm Another Car hit sound
slide1.pcm Powerslide start
slide2.pcm Sliding sound
soff.pcm Shield fade out
spin.pcm Player on Oil or sth else spinning around
sput.pcm Deceleration sound (thanks musiclover350)
start.pcm Player engine startup
tire1.pcm friction of wheels with surface, resulting in a screeching sound (thanks to RobExplorien)
tire2.pcm friction of wheels with surface, resulting in a screeching sound (thanks to RobExplorien)
turbo.pcm Sound when opponents drive into Time Warp and tire sound when starting any turbo
wndexp.pcm wand going away
wndhit.pcm wand hitting
wndsus1.pcm Lightning active sound of wand
wndsus2.pcm Lightning passive sound of wand
block1.pcm sound2 when sth. hits the shields
block2.pcm sound3 when sth. hits the shields
enhbonus.pcm Exchange of power ups
grphtenv.pcm grapple failing
mrel.pcm tractor beam (yellow 2 white) fade out
octexp2.pcm Some sound belonging to green with 2 white bricks
shield0.pcm shield blue 0 white sound
shield2.pcm shield blue 2 white sound
shield3.pcm shield blue 3 white sound
eengine.pcm opponent's engine sound

One bad thing is that you can't change the sound of when you stop accelerating (so you put your hand away from Arrow up when driving). This sound seems to be hardcoded anywhere. Maybe anyone can find it?
A cool thing with the engine.pcm is that you can insert any other sound there (it has then different pitches, depending on how fast you drive). A cool engine sound is shield2.pcm or shield1.pcm and as idle sound use shield0.pcm.
The bad thing about that is the sound that is probably hardcoded and so you still hear the normal engine sound when stopping to accelerate (in german: 'den Wagen rollen lassen').

When you want to change some sounds, make sure they are placed there where you want to have them. For example you want to remove the player's honk and give him redbeard's honk. Then you write horn06.pcm where the player's honk is set (horn01.pcm). So you just change horn01 to horn06 and then you recompile, ...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

gpwdrdrp.pcm Unknown 'shrapping' sound (don't know english word for this)

You probably mean by that; two vehicles scratching with their sides against each other (this might not be the correct english term as well), but I'm not sure about this.

EDIT:

tire1.pcm some noise of wheels

tire2.pcm another strange wheel sound

And this; friction of wheels with surface, resulting in a screeching sound.

You probably mean by that; two vehicles scratching with their sides against each other (this might not be the correct english term as well), but I'm not sure about this.

Sounds English enough to me, only other words I can think of is scraping or the more technical 'abrasion'.

Sounds English enough to me, only other words I can think of is scraping or the more technical 'abrasion'.

Yeah, that's the actual word I was looking for; 'scraping'. Cannot believe how I missed that out, because I had the almost same-spelled dutch term 'schrapen' in mind.

spin.pcm Player on Oil oder sth else spinning around

Yep, he's german alright. :P

spin.pcm Player on Oil oder sth else spinning around

Yep, he's german alright. :P

oops, i made that list in german and translated it afterwards. Seems like I have forgotten some connective words  D8

Added those suggestions to the list ;)

Alright, I almost got it. If you want to sound exactly like an AI, then cut the following files (or delete) out of the .JAM and place them elsewhere:

• BRAKE1.PCM         
  • BRAKE2.PCM        
  • BTMOUT.PCM        
  • GPWDRDRP.PCM
  • HITCAR.PCM
  • HITENV.PCM
  • SKID.PCM
  • SKRCAR.PCM
  • SKRENV.PCM        
  • SLIDE1.PCM       
  • SLIDE2.PCM        
  • TIRE1.PCM           
  • TIRE2.PCM            

And rename in the GENERAL.SBK file (open with notepad for easy modding):

• engine.pcm to eengine.pcm   (you know why)
  • horn01.pcm to horn02.pcm    (changing horn to AI's horn)

I'm still missing the sound that you hear when driving on grass and sand and through water. I have not found that one yet. Also, one step further in being AI is to remove the sliding textures, when drifting or using a turbo, and the particles (little stars) that show up when scraping against a car.

Alright, I almost got it. If you want to sound exactly like an AI, then cut the following files (or delete) out of the .JAM and place them elsewhere:

• BRAKE1.PCM         
  • BRAKE2.PCM        
  • BTMOUT.PCM        
  • GPWDRDRP.PCM
  • HITCAR.PCM
  • HITENV.PCM
  • SKID.PCM
  • SKRCAR.PCM
  • SKRENV.PCM        
  • SLIDE1.PCM       
  • SLIDE2.PCM        
  • TIRE1.PCM           
  • TIRE2.PCM            

When you do that, you have to refresh the amount of soumds in the first line.

horn01.pcm to horn02.pcm    (changing horn to AI's horn)

You can actually use any other of the honks too as player because the honks variate AI by AI.

I'm still missing the sound that you hear when driving on grass and sand and through water. I have not found that one yet. Also, one step further in being AI is to remove the sliding textures, when drifting or using a turbo, and the particles (little stars) that show up when scraping against a car.

I guess these sounds are located in the Race folders but I'm not sure. 

• BRAKE1.PCM         
  • BRAKE2.PCM        
  • BTMOUT.PCM        
  • GPWDRDRP.PCM
  • HITCAR.PCM
  • HITENV.PCM
  • SKID.PCM
  • SKRCAR.PCM
  • SKRENV.PCM        
  • SLIDE1.PCM       
  • SLIDE2.PCM        
  • TIRE1.PCM           
  • TIRE2.PCM            

When you do that, you have to refresh the amount of soumds in the first line.

You mean, changing the value 80 in GENERAL.SBK? All I did was move these .PCM files out of the .JAM archive, then recompile, and I can run the game without any trouble. I don't have to adjust the GENERAL.SKB file for removing these sounds. Although there is one error; removing IDLE.PCM from this archive will cause the game to crash when starting a new race.

You can actually use any other of the honks too as player because the honks variate AI by AI.

Yeah, I guess I should have said 'changing horn to minor AI opponent'. My aim is to copy their behaviour, sounds and textures.

RobExplorien

One bad thing is that you can't change the sound of when you stop accelerating (so you put your hand away from Arrow up when driving). This sound seems to be hardcoded anywhere. Maybe anyone can find it?

Late reply, but for some clarificaction.

There is no sound for eengine.pcm when 'taking your finger off the accelerate-key'. An AI never stops accelerating. The AI may slow down (bump into something, getting hit by a cannonball, that stuff), but doesn't stop with accelerating, as if they keep pressing the accelerate-key. If you slow down with the accelerate-key still being pressed, a 'slowing down' sound for eengine.pcm can be heard. But not pressing the key means that there is no sound for a 'slowing down' engine, and the sound of engine.pcm will be used instead.

I may be wrong, but this is my guess.

LEGOISAWESOME

Late reply, but for some clarificaction.

There is no sound for eengine.pcm when 'taking your finger off the accelerate-key'. An AI never stops accelerating. The AI may slow down (bump into something, getting hit by a cannonball, that stuff), but doesn't stop with accelerating, as if they keep pressing the accelerate-key. If you slow down with the accelerate-key still being pressed, a 'slowing down' sound for eengine.pcm can be heard. But not pressing the key means that there is no sound for a 'slowing down' engine, and the sound of engine.pcm will be used instead.

I may be wrong, but this is my guess.

I've noticed the "slowing down" sound you hear is the same sound the Demo car makes whilst accelerating.

• 2 months later...

No, unfortunately not, I tried to find a file for it but it seems to be based on none of these files. Actually I have never found any other file that could contain the deceleraion sound... :/

Update: musiclover350 has found it... it was sput.pcm

RobExplorien

But can't we edit the deceleration sound?

If we know how to edit which key triggers what sound, we could I suppose. For example, assigning eengine.pcm to the 'no key-pressed' value.

EDIT:

Actually I have never found any other file that could contain the deceleraion sound...

The deceleration sound is part of the eengine.pcm and engine.pcm file. The motor sound is just altered, to match the sound of a decelerating car.

Actually I have never found any other file that could contain the deceleraion sound...

The deceleration sound is part of the eengine.pcm and engine.pcm file. The motor sound is just altered, to match the sound of a decelerating car.

That is not quite correct because I also messed up the sounds once (I put shield0.pcm where the entry for engine.pcm was to get the shield sound as engine sound) and still (even if there was nowhere the engine.pcm file listed anymore) the deceleration sound was the same as with the normal 'engine.pcm' engine sound... So the deceleration is independent from that. But what is it depending on then??

RobExplorien

That is not quite correct because I also messed up the sounds once (I put shield0.pcm where the entry for engine.pcm was to get the shield sound as engine sound) and still (even if there was nowhere the engine.pcm file listed anymore) the deceleration sound was the same as with the normal 'engine.pcm' engine sound... So the deceleration is independent from that. But what is it depending on then??

Yes, that may be, but that does not mean that the deceleration sound can't be an altered version of engine.pcm. The deceleration sound could be regarded as the 'no key'-pressed sound in a race, no matter which engine sound you assigned to your vehicle. Therefore, assigning the shield0.pcm does make your engine sound like the shield, but since the deceleration sound is assigned to 'no key'-pressed, it will use the altered version of engine.pcm when decelerating. But what I said is a theory, so I may be wrong. It probably is hardcoded somewhere, and we'd have to dig deeper in the files to change that.

Yes, that may be, but that does not mean that the deceleration sound can't be an altered version of engine.pcm. The deceleration sound could be regarded as the 'no key'-pressed sound in a race, no matter which engine sound you assigned to your vehicle. Therefore, assigning the shield0.pcm does make your engine sound like the shield, but since the deceleration sound is assigned to 'no key'-pressed, it will use the altered version of engine.pcm when decelerating. But what I said is a theory, so I may be wrong. It probably is hardcoded somewhere, and we'd have to dig deeper in the files to change that.

Ok, sorry, then I misunderstood you.

Maybe the deceleration sound directly uses the 'upside down version' of engine.pcm. Then it might be possible to change the sound by simply replacing the file, not the name in the list. It's worth a try (well, I haven't LR installed, could you please test it? Just switch the names of eengine.pcm and engine.pcm and write the result - thank you)

RobExplorien

Ok, sorry, then I misunderstood you.

Maybe the deceleration sound directly uses the 'upside down version' of engine.pcm. Then it might be possible to change the sound by simply replacing the file, not the name in the list. It's worth a try (well, I haven't LR installed, could you please test it? Just switch the names of eengine.pcm and engine.pcm and write the result - thank you)

It doesn't make it sound any different, just as I thought it'd be. It still is the default deceleration sound.

Okay, then we can be pretty sure it's either hard coded or somewhere else where we don't expect it to be... Thanks for trying out

Jack Bluebeard

Hey, I got it! It's recorded as SPUT.PCM and yes, I'm referring to the deceleration sound of the player's car and the engine of demo King Kahuka.

• Like 1

RobExplorien

Hey, I got it! It's recorded as SPUT.PCM and yes, I'm referring to the deceleration sound of the player's car and the engine of demo King Kahuka.

Good find. I just tested it, and it seems to be the right sound for an AI engine deceleration.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.