AcePilot90

While searching .bmb (the format of IXS' textures), I found this:

http://www.dfong.com/chessbd/pieceset/ubitmap.html

It shows how to convert and has a program to convert .bmps to .bmbs, but not vice versa. (And the file format may not even be the same)

But hey, who knows.

I just thought this was interesting, as I am eagerly trying to figure out the .bmb texture files.

• 5 months later...
lol username

You seem to be stating that some files having the same extension makes them the same format... That simply isn't the case. For example, as we all know, LR1 uses a completely custom file format for its textures that happens to have a .bmp extension, but they aren't even slightly related to standard bmp files. And seeing as Silicon Dreams used a ton of proprietary formats too... Well, don't get your hopes up. Especially as the software you're talking about seems to be for CAD, for engineering and design type stuff.

JLG still uses Creo Pro, or at least some people haven't upgraded to the current one yet. I can confirm that it's a CAD program and it seems to do nothing with pictures or textures. I can also confirm that it constantly melts the GPUs of their crappy engineering laptops. This might be a case where the IXS textures just happen to have a file extension used in another program.
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
Fluffy Cupcake

What I've gathered thus far is that the BMB file is a package of multiple materials files, and it may or may not just hold one texture at once. I've also found that:

• All files have an IDX2 somewhere at the start of every file (header?), followed by what seems to be the list of the texture(s) in the file [i.e. chicken, stud_bla, etc]
  • All files have an INFO section(s) (comes after texture name)
  • Some files notably have a MIPM(s).
  • All files have an IMAG(s) section (comes after INFO)
  • All files have an END(s) somewhere (comes after IMAG)

The (s) means it is dependant on if either one or multiple materials are used in a file or not.

I don't know what to do with this info, but it's what I've got out of looking at the file for an hour.

Fluffy Cupcake

Science:

large.BMBScience.png.0434d36cfbe684f391b

Search for "E0 FD C0" in Nick's texture (Char037.bmb in Z01SSP) and go to the second result to change what I did here. I almost thought it was YRB for a second, as I when I was setting FF alone to the values I hit bluish where the E0 is, and yellow where the FD is, but then when I put the third byte as FF it was just dark blue. Changing all three of these to 00 or FF makes it black or white, so I don't know what's up.

Note: The hands were still yellow.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Looking at decompressed  bmb with a 16-byte view, the data looks to start there is the header stuff and IMAG, afterwards there seems to be 4 columns of FF infinately going to the bottom all the way to the end of the file until END is reached with three bytes between each FF.

• The data part of the BMB actually looks exactly how a uncompressed 32-bit .tga texture looks.

• As for multi-texture file. There is an 'index' of texture names at the start of the file, and for as many names there are there is one corresponding INFO, IMAG, and END.

• Each label is spaced out with "00 ## 00", where 0 is a count up number (one value higher then the last)

• Data between INFO and IMAG is unknown.

• When to insert END is unknown

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.