Tutorial: Skin Texturing

Jimbob

Nitegeist

YES! Awesome!

k_2C // Transparent Color // CONFIRM THIS ONE 217 252 252

217/252/252 is an RGB value.

i set it to 252/0/252 for BB_hat and used the same color in the bmp file for the alpha channel...

33clrwj.jpg

...and this is what it looks like in-game. Perfect!

34o3oqu.png

Thanks for finding that Rob! I should have remembered seeing it there from yesterday when I was looking through...

Nice work there on Basil, Nitegeist.

I guess we can now do stuff like this:

A lousy attempt at Rayman...

gallery_5738_275_46641.png

...And a skeleton with rather small legs

gallery_5738_275_106535.png

• Like 2

lol username

Oh wow, it never occurred to me that things like that could be possible. Awesome.

Brickulator

gallery_5738_275_46641.png

I was literally thinking about how to make a Rayman skin today :P This is an awesome discovery.

I'm sure you'd do a better job than... Whatever it is I produced.

On a side note, I just noticed that I posted this tutorial on the day the world was supposed to end.

Really a good work! You one step further into modding Lego Racers. New possibilities have revealed, thank you two!

Wait, wait. So we can now make semi-transparent textures? Yeeeehaw! Quick! Update this tutorial with clear directions on how to do it! ;P

lol username

Wait, wait. So we can now make semi-transparent textures? Yeeeehaw! Quick! Update this tutorial with clear directions on how to do it! ;P

To get the bad news out of the way, you can't have semi-transparency. Pixels are either clear or filled.

>To get the bad news out of the way, you can't have semi-transparency. Pixels are either clear or filled.

Then I'm confused. What was just discovered? That we know what the transparent color for a certain image is and we are do longer blind guessing it?

RobExplorien

>To get the bad news out of the way, you can't have semi-transparency. Pixels are either clear or f

illed.

Then I'm confused. What was just discovered? That we know what the transparent color for a certain image is and we are do longer blind guessing it?

We discovered how define to a colour (in the RGB system) to use as transparent for a bitmap image. For example: if we want to set the colour, with RGB value 255 255 255 (white), transparent in let's say CR_HAT.BMP, we can do this by modifying that specific texture entry in the .TMB file. Sadly, semi-transparency is yet to be discovered (and I doubt that this is possible at the moment).

Yes, as Rob said, we've worked out how to add transparency to any skin texture. Thankfully it's all defined in the same file, and isn't hard to do.

Sadly, semi-transparency is yet to be discovered (and I doubt that this is possible at the moment).

I don't think it is at all possible to have semi-transparency. The way that it works doesn't allow for it - the program looks for pixels with a certain RGB value and deliberately avoids loading those pixels. For semi-transparency, it would need to have a certain colour defined to not only represent a semi-transparent pixel, but also what colour this pixel should really be, and what percentage of transparency it should be. I highly doubt this can be added into the program, especially as nothing in the game is semi-transparent (there must be a better term for this than that). But hey, if someone can prove me wrong, great!

Unfortunately I was too busy today to update this tutorial (I briefly popped in and out but haven't been able to just sit and type), but I will aim to do it as soon as possible.

RobExplorien

especially as nothing in the game is semi-transparent (there must be a better term for this than that).

Clear, glassy, diaphanous, semi-opaque, crystal. :P

lol username

I highly doubt this can be added into the program, especially as nothing in the game is semi-transparent (there must be a better term for this than that). But hey, if someone can prove me wrong, great!

The big blue doors and lights for the second shortcut in Magma Moon Marathon.

I highly doubt this can be added into the program, especially as nothing in the game is semi-transparent (there must be a better term for this than that). But hey, if someone can prove me wrong, great!

The big blue doors and lights for the second shortcut in Magma Moon Marathon.

:gasp:

LET'S GET TO WORK MODDERS.

Brickulator

How do I view and edit BODYPART.TDB? I've tried a few programs and all I get is this:

'h 'il_dflt *('kk_chst *('lh_dflt *('cr_chst *('leg_peg *('gm_dflt *('bb_chst *('jt_chst *('vb_chst *('gm_chst *('leg_bkrd *('leg_blck *('leg_red *('leg_wht *('leg_ltgr *('leg_dkgr *('leg_blue *('leg_grn *('leg_brwn *('leg_dgbk *('leg_bkbl *('leg_dgbl *('bb_dflt *('cr_dflt *('jt_dflt *('vb_dflt *('kk_dflt *('tc_leg *('pm_legs *('ad_leg *('ap_leg *('rk_chst *('nh_chst *('al_chst *('rh_chst *('bj_chst *('cc_chst *('ap_chst *('tc_chst *('sb_chst *('gb_chst *('il_chst *('gs_chst *('ww_chst *('ad_chst *('in_chst *('tu_chst *('eo_chst *('mm_chst *('bk_chst *('mj_chst *('pm_chst *('ad_dflt *('al_dflt *('bk_dflt *('bj_dflt *('gs_dflt *('gb_dflt *('cc_dflt *('lg_dflt *('kk_leg *('ls_dflt *('pm_dflt *('nh_dflt *('sk_dflt *('rk_dflt *('rh_dflt *('lm_dflt *('tc_dflt *('wc_dflt *('ww_dflt *('sb_dflt *('ap_dflt *('helmet2 *('vb_hat *('bb_hat *,( 'gb_hat *('cr_hat *('ap_hat *('nh_hat *('al_hat *('pm_hat *('gh_hair *('il_hair *(f f f 'helmet01 *('helmet02 *('helmet03 *('gh_hair1 *('rk_hat *(Ù ü ü 'bk_hat *(V 'cc_hat *('gh_hair2 *('rr_dflt *('helmetrr *('rr_chst *('rr_leg *('ad_hat *('kk_hat *(P   'tc_hat2 *(ç Ì  'vv_chst *('vv_leg *('vv_dflt *('helmetvv *('rh_hat *(

RobExplorien

How do I view and edit BODYPART.TDB? I've tried a few programs and all I get is this:

'h 'il_dflt *('kk_chst *('lh_dflt *('cr_chst *('leg_peg *('gm_dflt *('bb_chst *('jt_chst *('vb_chst *('gm_chst *('leg_bkrd *('leg_blck *('leg_red *('leg_wht *('leg_ltgr *('leg_dkgr *('leg_blue *('leg_grn *('leg_brwn *('leg_dgbk *('leg_bkbl *('leg_dgbl *('bb_dflt *('cr_dflt *('jt_dflt *('vb_dflt *('kk_dflt *('tc_leg *('pm_legs *('ad_leg *('ap_leg *('rk_chst *('nh_chst *('al_chst *('rh_chst *('bj_chst *('cc_chst *('ap_chst *('tc_chst *('sb_chst *('gb_chst *('il_chst *('gs_chst *('ww_chst *('ad_chst *('in_chst *('tu_chst *('eo_chst *('mm_chst *('bk_chst *('mj_chst *('pm_chst *('ad_dflt *('al_dflt *('bk_dflt *('bj_dflt *('gs_dflt *('gb_dflt *('cc_dflt *('lg_dflt *('kk_leg *('ls_dflt *('pm_dflt *('nh_dflt *('sk_dflt *('rk_dflt *('rh_dflt *('lm_dflt *('tc_dflt *('wc_dflt *('ww_dflt *('sb_dflt *('ap_dflt *('helmet2 *('vb_hat *('bb_hat *,( 'gb_hat *('cr_hat *('ap_hat *('nh_hat *('al_hat *('pm_hat *('gh_hair *('il_hair *(f f f 'helmet01 *('helmet02 *('helmet03 *('gh_hair1 *('rk_hat *(Ù ü ü 'bk_hat *(V 'cc_hat *('gh_hair2 *('rr_dflt *('helmetrr *('rr_chst *('rr_leg *('ad_hat *('kk_hat *(P   'tc_hat2 *(ç Ì  'vv_chst *('vv_leg *('vv_dflt *('helmetvv *('rh_hat *(

The Binary File Editor comes in handy. Make good use of if.

• Like 1

Brickulator

So I did make my own attempt at a Rayman skin...this is version 1, I guess. It's pretty hideous but this is the first time I've tried any kind of Racers modding apart from swapping music around 10 years ago :P

rayman.jpg

Obviously it needs quite a bit of work. Apparently using transparent textures on a helmet also makes everything underneath the helmet transparent, hence the lack of most of the head. Although it does achieve the "no neck" look that Rayman has. The legs are pretty weird too but leg textures don't give you much to work with. Although the right foot at least looks alright from that particular angle. I'm happy with the torso, maybe that could work as a torso for a normal fig...?

noarms.jpg

...maybe not. I think he knows something's not quite right  :wimp:

LimeKiller

If you're  going to make more versions, you should start a new topic, but I wanted to say that it's a good start!

• 1 month later...
RobExplorien

I don't know if any of you noticed it, but when you add (for example) a pattern to the yellow section (of the helmet texture), it get's mirrorred in-game.

gallery_5738_275_366.png

EDIT: And (for some textures noticeable) the lower yellow part of the leg texture is (annoyingly) getting strechted.

gallery_5738_275_93.png

I don't know if any of you noticed it, but when you add (for example) a pattern to the yellow section (of the helmet texture), it get's mirrorred in-game.

gallery_5738_275_366.png

EDIT: And (for some textures noticeable) the lower yellow part of the leg texture is (annoyingly) getting strechted.

gallery_5738_275_93.png

I didn't notice the helmet texture being flipped, thank you for pointing that out.

I should probably have mentioned that the leg texture is stretched, it does so to fit the small square area across the rectangular leg. Rocket Racer's leg texture is a nice example of this.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.