Review: 7959 Geonosian Starfighter

Cyrem

7959 Geonosian Starfighter

Review by Cyrem

Photo

Review

Friday is here which means I have a new set review just for you! This time I will be taking a look at the 7959 Geonosian Starfighter (AKA Nantex-class Territorial Defense Starfighter ) to see how it weighs up. This set retails for about $60AUD, however the box size looks like a set that retails for around $40. But this isn't about box sizes.

Now, I don't like Geonosians, those insect looking aliens that look like a plague of locusts in the movie. But for Ki-Adi-Mundi, he's the first poor Jedi to be betrayed and killed in the execution of order 66. Out of respect, let's begin the review.

This set comes with three minifigures:

- Geonosian Pilot

- Ki-Adi-Mundi

- Clone Commander Cody

Putting these together, the print details are great, I took a close-up for you to check out the Geonosian:

There are however some things I didn't like. The Geonosian's neck is strange, it's like a long cylinder that just goes up to the head, looks strange in my opinion. The other thing I was a bit nitpicky over was the paint quality on Ki-Adi-Mundi's head, the paint is a bit messy along the edges of his white hair. There is one redeeming quality that I'm willing to forget the paint over, that is, the fact that Commander Cody comes with accessories! You can kit him out like so:

Nice touch hey?

Well let's build this thing!

Base done, no signs of ugliness yet..

Hmmm... it's getting there...

Looks like I'm finished one side. The bomb goes in a little compartment and when opened, drops out. Works on all planets with normal gravity.

One thing I like about TLG is that they think of everything! Just look at this, they supplied a pea bowl for you to put your frozen peas in*. You'll never go hungry while making this model.

But then... I saw something horrific. Has LEGO gone low-poly on us?? Surely life's graphics card can handle a little bit more? Someone, FIX THIS!

Once I was done with my peas, I noticed LEGO created a secondary purpose for this bowl! It doubles as a booster for ships, niiiice! (I hope I didn't leave a pea in there)

Ship construction going to plan...

He's running some sort of weird Bug Operating System (BugOS?) for this thing, I can tell...

And all done, check it out:

Overall

It's a fast build, there isn't really much to this one. I think it may be over priced a little, I think a $40-$50 price range would have been better for this one. It's an interesting ship, not one that I particularly like... but I can only blame the Geonosians for this. It has a rotatable gun, which isn't that interesting. It also has a drop out bomb, a nice addition. I like that Cody some with some accessories, I don't like how I wasn't able to continue using the bowl for my peas and Ki-Adi-Mundi's white hair is a little shabby. On the plus side, the building is not repetitive. This is a set I'd get if I was collecting everything, but not one I'd buy if I was looking for the good sets only.

Rating

Design: 7 / 10

Quality: 5 / 10

Fun: 7 / 10

Price: 6 / 10

* Or 1 grape if you prefer grapes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.