How Did You Start Your Lego Collection?

Jimbob

I'm interested in finding out how people here on RRU started their Lego collection. Not just the 'I was given a set as a toddler' bit, but also the 'I spent about £50 a month' (or whatever) part.

Basically I had a large collection of Lego when I was younger, plus a tub stock-full of the old Bionicles, and - incredibly stupidly - sold it all off a while back.

Now I am starting to amass a Rock Raiders collection (it has to be my favourite theme), but having seen the collections of many others online I'm starting to crave a large collection of bricks of my own. Not so much through sets, but just bricks from which I can create a diverse range of designs from my imagination. However, I'm unsure as to whether such a thing requires planning, i.e. purchasing a large amount of a particular common brick? The kind of thing I have in mind is like the image below (found through a random Google search). Maybe not of this scale, certainly not yet, but the ability to just pull out a draw containing any desired piece is great!

lego-collection-great-wall.jpg

I'd appreciate any thoughts and comments people can give, I'm both interested in how you started your collection and also any advice you can give me on how to start mine :)

The pictures reminds me that I REALLY need to sort out my collection.

Anyway, it all started when I was given a 4-pack of construction games. Two of them were silly Matchbox CAT things, one was a racing game (what), and the fourth was... LEGO Loco. I loved that one, and wanted to know what LEGO was. So then in April 2003 I got another four-pack of LEGO games: Island, Rock Raiders, Creator, and Chess. Take one guess which one I fell in love with and spent seven months doing nothing but.

My first set was the 4940 Granite Grinder, followed by the Loader-Dozer and Rapid Rider (I would get most of it, but not the 4990 HQ or the four promotional sets until a while later). From then I was interested in what else LEGO had to offer. Ebay became a frequent visit on our internet. I looked into collecting as much LEGO stuff that they had as I could get, like Adventurers and Arctic and Racers (after LEGO Racers 2) and Life on Mars and all that. I also got LEGO Mania magazines to see what else they had. But like I said, all ebay. In fact, the Vikings theme was the first theme I had that was recent.

My looks into older LEGO declined slightly, and I drifted into some newer stuff like Mars Mission. In the last few years I've slowed down largely. Maybe I'll get back some time.

I should really sort out all my LEGO as well...

When I was like 3/4 I became interested in a suitcase owned by my father. The suitcase contained some of his old LEGO sets, including the Shell Fuel Station, Back Hoe, Dump Truck as well as a couple other sets and a LEGO Magazine. I was almost never allowed to touch them because he though I would ruin them (it's LEGO...), so instead he bought me other sets. I think my first set was just a big bucket of randomly LEGO parts, and from there I started getting more and more sets, eventually being able to use his ones. I'm pretty sure my grandma bought me my first Bionicle model (Vakama, if I'm unmistaken), and since then I've also collected those.

I started out my collection the way I think everyone should: With a big bucket full of basic bricks.We got our first themed sets around 2000, (and I do say "we" because it was all ahared with my brother). I've never stuck to any particular theme, dabbling in any I can find, however, today I find myself gravitating towards city, architecture, creator, and technic the most. I've only ever kept them loosely organized, keeping some similar or often-used pieces grouped in their own plastic tub or bag, but for the most part it's just mixed in a few large bins. Of course, some has been lost and broken, but only a small amount. I never gave my lego away to anyone else, tough.

My 'start' wasn't that interesting. I never got a LEGO set when I was young, LEGO was too expensive for the budget back then. I got handy-downs, lots of mixed LEGO. I still have most of it, but the LEGO itself is in bad condition... anything from teethmarks, broken pieces to melted LEGO. This is not to say I didn't have fun, I had a lot of fun.

I'm only now beginning to buy LEGO (at 22). I'm 'into' the Star Wars sets atm.

My collection "started" With an old LEGO Race (NOT RACERS) set that I got for my 4th birthday... It was a blue dragster that came out in 2000. I never really cared about it, and many of the pieces went missing soon after (who would've guessed?).

LEGO was always a part of my life, with getting some hand-me-downs from my brother (all lost, I'm afraid), but I never actually cared about anything LEGO until around 2004. That was when I started getting into BIONICLE.

I got two Toa Nuva for Christmas of '03, and then I realized something: I WANTED MOAR. So I began looking round the internet, searching up anything I could find about BIONICLE (LEGO was still 'whatever' for me). Eventually, I found BZPower and more-or-less followed the fandom there. I would try to get as many BIONICLE sets as I could, but I lost all of my 04-05 sets in one move to another house, and my 06 sets (had quite a few of those) were stolen...

Now I still have a COUPLE 06 sets, along with various sets from 07-09. Those are all in storage at the moment.

Which brings us to how I got into LEGO...

I started with Exo-Force. I got a couple of the Golden City sets, and instantly wanted more. I proceeded to learn more about older LEGO sets, getting grab bags from thrift stores, eBay (once), and eventually discovering LEGO Island. It was love at first site.

Over the years, I have mostly bought new sets, from Exo-Force to Power Miners (This was BEFORE I frequented RRU) to Pharaoh's Quest and everything in between. But I plan on buying more sets from eBay, mostly the old ones from the 90's... I'd love some Space sets... And Rock Raiders...

But I digress. You can take a look at my LEGO collection (sans my BIONICLE sets) in the video below:

Wow! It's great to hear how others got into Lego. So, it seems it's a gradual build-up deal when amassing a collection (not that I expected to buy hundreds of sets in one go). Kind of an investment, I guess :)

I hadn't thought about eBay, possibly due to precautions about the quality of the Lego from it, but then again Bricklink may not be a better alternative - especially with all the extra hassle it involves. I'll have a look, thanks!

Currently I've also had my eyes set on the Mindstorms NXT 2.0 (£235 is a lot of money, I know), mainly as I am a Computing student and have programmed several of my own games in Flash, and I'm interested in if (and how far) I can 'mod' the thing.

But it's collections like McStudz's there that I'm aspiring to. One day...

EDIT: Are these job lots the kind of thing to look for? Found them through a quick ebay search. The first two are apparently cleaned, and the seller is a 'Top-Rated Seller', while the third is a cheap random selection.

I'd go for the third option, if you ask me. It's not all basic bricks, and it looks like the kind of stuff I find at the thrift store all the time. Too bad the bidding's done now.

I mean, who knows what kind of stuff you'd find in that box?

My collection started from a bargain tub back when I was younger.

Still, to this day I have the "Freestyle" Tim minifigure, my first ever minifig.

From then I on I was hooked to town sets. Though most were scrapped for MOCs.

And I lost a lot of minifigures through our time, which is always a bummer. :(

When I got IXS sets, I was ecstatic, as it was LEGO Island sets! A dream come true, but again scrapped to make MOCs over time.

So that's my story, now I collect mostly City sets, occasionally some Star Wars or Monster Fighters, but mostly City/ Town. :)

Thanks!

I used to have a fairly big collection of Lego Star Wars too, with the exception of Bionicle it was probably the theme I had the most of. So many Lego Star Wars animations I made a while back are still on my computer...

Well, I'm feeling pretty childishly-excited myself, having just bought 1kg of Lego :D

If anyone's interested, the listings I bought are:

Hopefully I've got the right kind of thing here. As McStudz and Lair said, I tried to get more varied lots.

GordonFreeman

My first LEGO set, I can't believe I remember what it was. It was Tygurah's Roar, from the Orient Expedition subtheme of Adventurers. I was obsessed, but only for a short time. I got one of the Chuppa Chups things that came with a Minifig. I got one of the guys from LEGO Island 3. (I still have him, but one of the legs is missing and the pin it goes on snapped off) After that, I lost interest for a while. Then I got an Indiana Jones set in 2007, it was the tomb one from Raiders of the Lost Ark. But my Mom hated it, so I had to take it back and get a refund :( Anyway, then on CHristmas day I got the plane set from City's hospital theme. Then, in late 2008 (stupid rhyme :P) I was at the library, and there was nothing to do. So I decided to read the first book from the Exo-Force series. I was hooked. Lost interest in LEGO to Transformers, but Exo-Force once again got me hooked. As of late I've been having trouble balancing out my LEGO and gaming hobbies, but no matter what I'll always be a fan of LEGO.

My childhood is a blur of obsession, moronic behavior, that one year where I had a hoarding problem, fun, and confusion, so I can't really do the story justice. Friend showed me LEGO when I was 3, I wanted sets, I got sets, I kept getting sets, and I am here now. Also, here is a partial image of my collection. The pillow is where I work and possibly meditate.

F5FI9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been collecting Lego (mainly Rock Raiders), and can now post what little I have :D

gallery_5738_269_256868.jpg

gallery_5738_269_387872.jpg

gallery_5738_269_583056.jpg

gallery_5738_269_319362.jpg

I also have Captain Redbeard, his car (based on jamesster's design), a collection of Rock Raiders parts, and a draw of random bricks. I'm certainly excited!

Seeing how everyone got into LEGO and built up their collection, makes me dig up many of the bricks I collected over the years. Sadly, we threw away a lot of boxes of sets over the years.

It started with DUPLO for me, and then LEGO Racers became the theme that dominated my LEGO years after that. My dad is a LEGO fan too, and thanks to him I have a small selection of 70s sets. Unfortunately he sold some of those and with the money, he bought some Model Team and LEGO Technic sets.

Not until recently have I been looking into the 'older' LEGO sets (80s and 90s), and decided to buy some of them ('some' turned into 'many'). To give you an image of what I'm talking about, I've added a photo of about 85% of the LEGO sets that I still have with box (sorry if picture is blurry). The rest is hidden in my secret LEGO safe (by that I mean, scattered in the attic). If you need a review on any of them, I would be glad to do so.

gallery_6631_286_119003.jpg

Seeing how everyone got into LEGO and built up their collection, makes me dig up many of the bricks I collected over the years. Sadly, we threw away a lot of boxes of sets over the years.

It started with DUPLO for me, and then LEGO Racers became the theme that dominated my LEGO years after that. My dad is a LEGO fan too, and thanks to him I have a small selection of 70s sets. Unfortunately he sold some of those and with the money, he bought some Model Team and LEGO Technic sets.

Not until recently have I been looking into the 'older' LEGO sets (80s and 90s), and decided to buy some of them ('some' turned into 'many'). To give you an image of what I'm talking about, I've added a photo of about 85% of the LEGO sets that I still have with box (sorry if picture is blurry). The rest is hidden in my secret LEGO safe (by that I mean, scattered in the attic). If you need a review on any of them, I would be glad to do so.

rGFIRBv.jpg?3

OHWADOHWADOHWADOHWADOHWAD!

You have a Space Monorail. A MONORAIL! AND Ice Planet, Exploriens, a UFO set... Some Classic Space... Aquazone...

DO REVIEWS OF THEM ALL. PLEASE! I LOVE YOU

I see a Pharaoh's Quest set there... Glad I'm not the only one who owns some.

Still. Reviews. Space Sets. Please.

You have a Space Monorail. A MONORAIL!

What monorail? I only see a train in there.

But yes, very nice collection.

...Wait...

Oh. I see it now. Dang.

You have a Space Monorail. A MONORAIL!

What monorail? I only see a train in there.

But yes, very nice collection.

...Wait...

Oh. I see it now. Dang.

Wouldn't the monorail be nice though, it is probably rarer than the train set pictured.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.