LEGO Racers HD (mod project, WIP)

Kenney

Yeah, I'd just figured that out after some more experimenting. Originally, when I said that, I was trying to replace the power-up icons, which was where the size would come out wrong. The track maps get re-sized correctly though (I guess this is because it has to be resized for the zoomed-in mini map anyway so that functionality is already there). You're right, the other textures do indeed display correctly.

Is there anyway to get higher resolution HUD elements? The power-up icons for example are all 32x32 px, so when playing at 1024x768 they get resized to 64x64 px. The problem is that even if I put a 64x64 graphic in, the game 'thinks' it is 32x32 and doubles the size, so you effectively end up with a 128x128 icon. It would be a shame if there's no way around this because I think the HUD would benefit most from improved graphics.

Anyway, I have been slowly redrawing some of the other textures; below is a preview of some more from Imperial Grand Prix including the flag with yellow crown (copied from the actual piece which comes from this set). I am also working on the power-up icons (though not sure if there's much point continuing with that...). I could (probably) (eventually) do everything apart from 'texture'-textures (e.g. track floors, grass etc.). Maybe I'll just slowly work on this stuff in the background, I suppose even a partially up-scaled mod would be nice.

Spoiler

IGP_TEXTURES_PREVIEW.png.ce34b2f5392b3a67bf4219c18144a150.png

Lop Huckawuckie

Nice work! One comment regarding the scaling up of HUD elements: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running LR1 with the command line flags to get higher resolution (e.g. -horzres 1920 -vertres 1080), the HUD elements appear tiny since they are shown at their actual pixel size. If you were to scale the HUD elements up by 3 (e.g., 32x32 becomes 96x96), then I would assume that the HUD elements would be proportionally correct in how they are displayed. The one problem with this is that everyone who uses it would need to be running at the higher resolution...

54 minutes ago, Lop Huckawuckie said:

Nice work! One comment regarding the scaling up of HUD elements: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running LR1 with the command line flags to get higher resolution (e.g. -horzres 1920 -vertres 1080), the HUD elements appear tiny since they are shown at their actual pixel size. If you were to scale the HUD elements up by 3 (e.g., 32x32 becomes 96x96), then I would assume that the HUD elements would be proportionally correct in how they are displayed. The one problem with this is that everyone who uses it would need to be running at the higher resolution...

Thank you! That would make sense but doesn't appear to happen - I use those flags as you say for 1024x768, but the HUD elements seem to be internally scaled up. See below a comparison of original 640x480 vs 1024x768 (latter scaled down manually after screenshot); you can even see in 1024x768 where the quality of the power-up graphic has been reduced due to that additional internal scaling. I wonder if it's because the power-up icon has to be constructed from separate graphics (holder, power-brick, icon).

Spoiler

HUD_scaling_comparison.png.c916dd12af9b0bc2f6caffa9a7ae4eb2.png

(that should say 1024x768 on the left, to be clear)

I should say that it is entirely possible I am doing something silly, if this behaviour has not been noticed before.

Lop Huckawuckie

Ah, yes, I just fired up my copy of Lego Racers and observed the same behavior as your screenshot. I guess I was thinking of the menu when you press Escape that is scaled down. But you're right, the HUD elements do get scaled internally.

Hmm... It's beyond me as to what can be done for the HUD elements. I agree that it would help things look better for sure, but I don't know enough about how LR1 does things under the hood to give you a solution...

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if the bump is a reaction to the thread in general or specifically to my attempt to revive the project, but as I was notified via e-mail I thought I should stop by to say that, disappointingly, I did not make significant progress with re-drawing the graphics. The foremost reason is that, well, life got in the way and I simply lost the free time to work on it that I had at the time of my previous posts here. This, together with the fact that I am not a professional graphics artist and so would have always lacked the skill to reproduce the more complex textures, and also that I could never get the scaling or transparency to work with HUD elements or power-ups, meant that my attention on the project drifted off. 

I am genuinely sorry about this, at the time I really thought I might be able to do more. I think if this is to be done it really needs to be a joint effort between a few enthusiasts who have both the time and skills to reproduce all graphics and properly implement them in the game, as I think others have already mentioned.

I still have all of the graphics which I worked on, which I will attach momentarily. Please don't get too excited, there really isn't that many. Feel free to use or modify these; I hope someone(s) will be able to continue the project!

-- EDIT --

I have uploaded an archive of the graphics I completed, see here: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r304/. The directory structure and file names mimic that of the game's unpacked data files (which would have been helpful if I had done a large number of the textures). Note that some of these were never "final" versions; indeed in some of these I think you can see that this is pushing the limit of my graphics editing skill...

Again, feel free to modify/use/continue the project from here.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I love seeing mods like this! I do wish it got more attention, or more done with it, but with my non-existent modding skills I really have no room to complain. 

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.