Photo

LEGO Interactive producer located

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

mumboking

I was looking at LEGO Chess videos on YouTube when I came across a comment on this video.

In LEGO Chess (which the clips are taken from), there were 'stories' you could play. In each of the three chapters an intro anim would play and then, as the characters fought, a chess game would start: if you won you got the 'good' outcome anim and the game continued; if you lost you got the 'bad' anim and had to try again. this vid confusingly shows both good and bad anims. As it happens, I was the game's Producer! ;) Nice to hear people enjoyed it back in the day.

DaveTheHutt1966 2 months ago

Let's see...

Producer:
Dave Upchurch

I'm assuming that this is him.

EDIT: LinkedIn, twitter, Facebook, website
  • Cyrem, Lair and jamesster thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
His website's got some really interesting info...

http://dupchurch.com...sland-2-various

http://dupchurch.com...ock-raiders-ps1

http://dupchurch.com...o=lego-chess-pc

http://dupchurch.com...velopers-kit-pc
  • Lair thanked this

Creator

Creator

The AI Car Recolouring Guy

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
That's interesting. Do you know, whether or not this man was also involved in the development of Lego Racers?

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
I noticed he mentioned more than once the pressure of LEGO Media getting a game out on a date, regardless of product quality by that date.... this is not how you make successful games. I can understand why he didn't like it, especially when he knew they could have been so much better.

These posts a very recent.... and he helped work on LRR for PS1, some interesting insight here!

Aokpisz

Aokpisz

Oak Tree

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I had no idea LRR had a PS1 title. :gasp:

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted Image

And actually, LRR essentially has two PS1 games - there's major differences between the NTSC and PAL releases, like entirely different levels and altered gameplay mechanics.
  • Lair and Alcom1 thanked this

Aokpisz

Aokpisz

Oak Tree

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Well thats something to keep an eye out for... Does anyone here own either?

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

I noticed he mentioned more than once the pressure of LEGO Media getting a game out on a date, regardless of product quality by that date.... this is not how you make successful games.

Don't get me started.

It's on the wiki

mumboking

And actually, LRR essentially has two PS1 games - there's major differences between the NTSC and PAL releases, like entirely different levels and altered gameplay mechanics.

Last time I was in one of the charity shops here, I found LRR PS1 for £3.
Is it worth picking up, even if it's only to fill my collection?

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Last time I was in one of the charity shops here, I found LRR PS1 for £3.
Is it worth picking up, even if it's only to fill my collection?

The PAL version is much better if thats the version you saw. To complete your collection, yes, you should. The game is OKAY if you can handle loading times and other annoyances.

mumboking

The PAL version is much better if thats the version you saw. To complete your collection, yes, you should. The game is OKAY if you can handle loading times and other annoyances.

I'm in the UK, so it is most likely the PAL version.
I'm going into town later today (currently 4:32AM here) so I might stop in the charity shop and get it if it's in good condition.

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
I had an email conversation with Dave back in December, he's a really nice guy and had lots of cool stuff to share.

Some info on the crazy development of LEGO Island 2...

Spoiler

Rock Raiders PS1...

Oh man, what a project! Still gives me nightmares... ;)

The US version was basically the game that I delivered in 6 months - a painful, short birth! SCEA signed it off but SCEE refused to release it until some fixes were made... I think LEGO took the opportunity to tweak the levels and gameplay. They only had three or four months, so not enough time to go too crazy. So basically the Euro version is the more finished one - sorry, America! :( Still a pretty poor game, though - it's such a shame, because the theme deserved far better treatment than we gave it.

There was a canceled Technic video game:

I remember working on a LEGO Technics game featuring vehicles exploring an alien world. You collected bricks and used morphing stations to change your vehicle between different forms, each of which had different abilities, and used them at the right time and place to get past obstacles in your way. It didn't get very far - just an early demo. We lost confidence in the developer to deliver, so canned it.

Also, it was DDI who originally pitched the idea of a LEGO soccer game, but like LI2, LEGO took the project from the original company and sent it over to Silicon Dreams for actual development - the result being Soccer Mania.
  • Cyrem, Lair, AcePilot90 and 2 others thanked this

Wabburio

Wabburio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Maybe we could ask this guy to help us?