Lego Racer 1 Alpha/beta Font

AppliArt

I was looking around in Jamesster's old LR1 screenshots and I noticed that the font used in the menus (and probably in the races too) is different than the one we have today. And I think it looks way better than the cartoonish one we have now. Aswell as the menu backgrounds. Is it possible to change the fonts? As a graphics designer I could be able to do some graphics work, if possible ofcourse.

I don't see why we couldn't - the font is just a LR1 BMP file, right? And we've already ripped it, so we can easily make a replacement file, right?

Also, for people who haven't seen the alpha/beta screenshots:

legoracersn6414.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=469944

It would be from a prototype. As far as I know, LEGO Racers never had a beta.

Now that I look at it, I do sort of like this font better than the one it has currently. Though I don't like that nightmarish blend of Pippin and the Baron.

I don't see why we couldn't - the font is just a LR1 BMP file, right? And we've already ripped it, so we can easily make a replacement file, right?

Also, for people who haven't seen the alpha/beta screenshots:

legoracersn6414.jpg

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=469944

A little bit OT, but that symbol in the lower left corner reminds me much of the Alpha Team logo...

A little bit OT, but that symbol in the lower left corner reminds me much of the Alpha Team logo...

I'm guessing that's just some watermark.

But anyhow, if the font file has already been ripped, where can I find it?

It would be from a prototype. As far as I know, LEGO Racers never had a beta.

LEGO Racers had a beta. All games, unless the devs jump from the beginning of the game to the final and never change the versioning, have both an alpha and a beta.

It's called the IGN watermark. :P

Aswell as the menu backgrounds. Is it possible to change the fonts?

The fonts question has already been answered. but I'll do the first one.

Yes, the background can be modded. I've got some screenshots of just the background on my Brickshelf with Racers running in both Hardware and Software mode (but I need to rip it). The colors on each may be a bit different, but I'm not sure. I'm don't remember the file name of the background, but it's not too hard to find. ;)

MENUDATABACKDRP.BMP

I should have remembered that. Every time I see that filename, I think it says "Back Derp". Don't ask why, I'm not too sure myself. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I can report some progress has been made with recreating the beta font, too bad I can't seem to find a way of loading it into the game. :l

Font%20update.png

It's called the IGN watermark. :P

Heh... How silly of me...

I can report some progress has been made with recreating the beta font, too bad I can't seem to find a way of loading it into the game. :l

Have you tried to move your new characters to the old characters positions in the image?

• 1 month later...

MENUDATABACKDRP.BMP

I should have remembered that. Every time I see that filename, I think it says "Back Derp". Don't ask why, I'm not too sure myself. :P

Actually it's BackDrop, A.K.A. The blue studs background on LEGO Racers

the font is just a LR1 BMP file, right?

There's also another file that probably contains locations of all the characters in the BMP.

Most likely the FDB files. I'll look into it sometime next week (am busy this week)

Also, unless you've already discovered this, the extracted file can't simply be placed back into the game, edited or not, as it causes a crash. Cyrem posted somewhere else that he'd managed to figure it out though.

There's also another file that probably contains locations of all the characters in the BMP.

Most likely the FDB files. I'll look into it sometime next week (am busy this week)

Also, unless you've already discovered this, the extracted file can't simply be placed back into the game, edited or not, as it causes a crash. Cyrem (where is he?) posted somewhere else that he'd managed to figure it out though.

*Ahem*

FDB Files :P

Considering the letters are plainly visible in Hex, theoretically, one should be able to add/remove/change any letters in Hex.

Also, unless you've already discovered this, the extracted file can't simply be placed back into the game, edited or not, as it causes a crash. Cyrem (where is he?) posted somewhere else that he'd managed to figure it out though.

*Ahem*

FDB Files :P

Considering the letters are plainly visible in Hex, theoretically, one should be able to add/remove/change any letters in Hex.

But how does that relate to the BMP file, do I need to check through the order of the letters in the Hex code and rearrange the BMP letters accordingly? I'm a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff.

FDB files are one of the binary encoded formats I keep mentioning. Just wait patiently for my documentation and you'll have a better understanding. Wait for my universal recompiler and you can mod them.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I am aware the last post was from January last year, but I found something that would make the Racers font (both alpha/beta and final) usable on computer and possibly web consumption (not that you might want to on the latter though :P):

FontForge

It appears to be one powerful program, allowing font creation from within it, importing of SVGs, and with a separate program can even trace bitmaps and import them into a font (although nowadays you only want to use vector-based fonts). There is even a whole book on designing a font using FontForge.

Basically, if AppliArt sees this message and wants to pick this back up or someone else wants to take a whack at this, I think there is a good chance you would succeed. :)

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.