Tutorial: Change the Brick Colors

CaptainGolem

Hi.

Here is a tutorial how to change the colors of the bricks you use to build a car.I hope it will help someone.

1.Extract your LEGO.JAM using one of the JAM extractors

2.Go to MENUDATA->PIECEDB

3.Now you see some files.You care only about the ones that end with "CSET.LEB".The first 2 or 3 letters are the names of the bosses example: CR_CSET.LEB = Captain Redbeard's car set

4.You open one of the CSET files with Notepad++ and find a color (black,green,ltgray etc.) and replace it with a different color.After you are done save the file.

5.Build a new LEGO.JAM using a JAM extractor

6.Play the game

• Like 4

No :(

Too bad, I was looking forward to finally creating a more realistic copy of Black Knight's car by changing the 2nd chassis' buffer bar to red.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the valid colors you can insert into the files? As Codecademy said so well in reference to colors and CSS:

"If you type Fire Engine Red into your CSS, will it know what color you are talking about? No."

;P

What are the valid colors you can insert into the files?

The colors you can use are blue, yellow, black, white, red, green, brown, ltgray (light gray), dkgray (dark gray) and biege.

The colors you can use are blue, yellow, black, white, red, green, brown, ltgray (light gray), dkgray (dark gray) and biege.

Now you are thinking like a modder! If you do not know the vaild range and values of the colors, knowing hust the fact that it is possible doesn't help too much. ;)

• 1 month later...

I've been looking into more advanced colour changing for this. As in, changing the brick colours to custom ones like the Rock Raiders' turquoise.

Despite going through and replacing all (I think) textures in GAMEDATACOMMON, MENUDATA and MENUDATAPIECEDB, I could not find a texture that defines the colours, which led me to believe that it was a file that specified the colours (e.g. a HEX code or something), but being unable to properly read most of the files, I couldn't find anything.

But then, while ripping textures from the build screen, I found this texture:

Colours.png

Could this be it?

EDIT: Haha, ignore that. I think it's the texture for the red squares that show you can't place an item. At least, it's the only one bearing resemblance to that.

I would really like to have custom colours though.

Hmmm... that doesn't work for me :/

Game crashes when I try to test it

And no, there is no mistake I do while editing the color.

Could you describe in detail what steps you took? Perhaps I or someone else here could help you.

I am normally extracting (or actually I already have extracted) Lego.jam and open any of the cset.leb in exactly the same folder as shown. Then I see a 2 lines big file in the notepad and simply change e.g. "black" to "white" (without the quotes and I don't add or remove any blanks (" ")). Then I recompile the Lego.Jam file, replace it with the old one and start the game. Then it crashes. :?:

That is Notepad

In german this is called 'editor' and the wordpad is another editing program.

When I do it with notepad, following error appears when starting the game:

file da_cset.leb (the one I tried to change)

Expected keyword

Yes, thanks, that worked! Unfortunately you can only replace colors, not add some. That would be cool because then you can leave all colors everywhere. But that might be hardcoded as well :/

Yes, thanks, that worked! Unfortunately you can only replace colors, not add some. That would be cool because then you can leave all colors everywhere. But that might be hardcoded as well :/

I'm pretty sure it's not a texture file (then again I did find two different textures together containing the exact colours of eight different bricks in grid form), but a file somewhere which has a hex code defining the colour overlay. I doubt it's in the exe file, but I've spent a few hours trying to work this out to no avail.

Just incase anyone who's curious about this hasn't tried it yet, I'd just like to make it clear that changing these files will only change the colors of the bricks you're given to build with, not bricks that you've already placed on your cars. This is actually really great for us, as this means you can change the colors in these files as much as you want to get the bricks you want in any color without messing up the colors of your existing cars.

That said, just a heads up: removing a brick off of a car that's not currently placeable will crash the game. (Example, changing a brick from white to green, then attempting to remove a white version of that brick that had already been placed.)

• Like 3

I have managed to add pink, but it messed up other things in the process...

LEGORacersPinkBrick.png

I did this by modifying the following files in MENUDATAPIECEDB

LPIECEHI.MDB, L_COLORS.LEB and CR_CSET.LEB

You might be able to figure out what I did from looking at those files.

• 3 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Someone mind doing a list of which file is which set? I know the circuit challenger's abbreviations, the other racers and misc, not so much.

Fluffy Cupcake

Well, DA, DC, DP, and DS aren't on the list. So there is still those four that I would like to know.

grappigegovert

Yup, just noticed that too.

DP seems to be the normal blocks

DA the speedy blocks
DC the space blocks
and DP the castle blocks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.