Crashes when selecting mission

Dalefalk

i have a problem with my LRR. the game starts and the main menu comes and everything works fine. but when i press "Start Game" and selects a mission it just closes to deskop and turns off.

So if anyone could help me with this problem i would be very happy :)

Give us some computer specs first. A lot of LRR's problems come from different hardware setups, and the operating system affects things too. Otherwise the problem could be coming from anything.

Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 7800

Total Memory: 2789 MB

Processor: Intel® Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Memory: 4096 MB

System type: 64-bit Operating System

if you need too know anything more about my computer just tell. i really want this game to work

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Fluffy Cupcake

I'm getting this exact problem.

Using Win 7 64-bit.

A bit more; when I try Direct3D HAL on launch the game doesn't launch, so I'm using RGB Emulation, also the rockfall transition is textureless + laggy. And running the game in windowed mode doesn't help, neither do the stuff you linked JJ. Also JJ, how is the installer relevant anyway? Obviously we have the game installed already.

Also JJ, how is the installer relevant anyway? Obviously we have the game installed already.

I thought that perhaps re-installing the game differently would help. Having not experienced these errors myself I didn't know.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting this exact problem.

Using Win 7 64-bit.

A bit more; when I try Direct3D HAL on launch the game doesn't launch, so I'm using RGB Emulation, also the rockfall transition is textureless + laggy. And running the game in windowed mode doesn't help, neither do the stuff you linked JJ. Also JJ, how is the installer relevant anyway? Obviously we have the game installed already.

Yeah, I have the exact same issue, word for word. Win 7 64-bit, had to use RGB emulation instead of Direct3D HAL because of crashing, etc...  I have also tried to run the game in compatibility mode, i have heard that works sometimes for old games on new systems. Alas that did not work either.

• 1 month later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Just thought I'd quote this here in case someone comes along and reads this topic instead of the other one which is exactly the same problem. (Unless of course a merge happens, then this post is useless.)

I FOUND A SOLUTION! For me at least. In the file CLGen.exe (in RRs dirrectory) select Voodoo2 as video card type.

• 2 months later...

I also have precisely the same issue as the others in this thread, crashing instantly with D3D, textureless rockfall, crash on level select, the works.

Specs:

Windows 7 x64

Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Intel Core i3-3240

8GB RAM

The disc I have is a later "Masterpiece" release, and I know later releases are known to have issues like missing music (which was an issue when I played with this disc on past computers) and having to have the CD in drive to play, any chance that finding an ISO for an earlier version and using that might help?

EDIT: Oh, and I tried Xiron's clgen.exe method to no avail, still all the exact same problems when choosing either of the alternate video card options.

EDIT2: Well, the more I search the more I see older threads about this issue, all of them get the same problem and all of them look to be running Windows 7 x64 with Radeon HD cards, and... not a single one has a working solution posted. So that's definitely not promising, haha

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Well, I found a "solution" of sorts, but not a very satisfactory one and one that won't work for everyone:

My CPU has integrated graphics built in that I hadn't been using, so I enabled it through the BIOS and then plugged my monitor into the motherboard to switch over to the Intel graphics. Now the game starts up fine in D3D HAL mode just fine and allows entrance into missions (so far there are some graphical glitches, but at least it -works-), so for those using processors with integrated graphics, this could be worth a try.

However, that doesn't actually solve the issue of compatibility with the Radeon HD cards, and having to switch monitor ports every time you start up the game is annoying and likely not the best thing for the monitor plug, so if anyone has any insight on the original problem it would be appreciated.

To sum up again: the problem seems to occur with users on Windows 7 64-bit using Radeon HD cards (most of those with problems seem to be using 7xxx cards, but I've seen at least one 5xxx as well). The game crashes when attempting to start up in D3D HAL mode, so we're forced to start in RGB Emulation mode, but this causes the rockfall transition animation to lag and lack any textures, and makes the game crash when entering any mission. Thus the main issue seems to be a problem with compatibility between Radeon HD cards and D3D HAL mode.

• 8 months later...

I have the exact same issue:

Windows 7 - 64 bit

Intel core i5 - 3.4 GHZ
8gb ram
and the killer - AMD RADEON HD 7800 GRAPHICS CARD!!!

Really glad you posted this so at least i know what's causing it.

Have any of you got any more updates on how to make it work (apart from disabling the GC)?

• 3 months later...

Pretty much I think all new AMD firmware & cards are incompatible. If you install the latest catalyst drivers on an LRR compatible card (I think v11 works, not sure about early 13), it will stop working. I have card like your @Mr_BobDobelina never found I way to run it. I bought a old $100 laptop to play it instead. RGB Emulation mode has never worked for anyone as far as I know, always crashes loading a level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.